Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:53 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't care how you cut it, the rescuer is making money on these dogs just the same way. Only they are kinder....but they are most certainly making money from selling the dogs and from donations....it's how they should be chosing to use those donations....with that money they should be lobbying Washington, however, they are not...they are in fact creating a business for themselves.

Legitimate rescue organizations are not affiliated with puppy mills in any way, shape, or form.
There are already lobbyists working to do away with puppy mills. I addressed this and some of the barriers to legislation in my first post.

I watch a rescuer who has been rescuing dogs from puppy mills now for years, and they just build a whole new facility....how do they get into these mills and get these dogs

Some rescue groups buy dogs dirt cheap at livestock auctions where puppy millers are selling their "used" livestock. This is an arguably questionable practice, and not one that is widely approved of in the rescue community.

it's a business all the way around, or it would soon be advertised more...you shut the puppy mills down, you shut the rescuers down. Period. And they don't want that

Puppy mills are a business. Legitimate rescues more often lose money than make money. Those rescues that are building facilities and/or "making" money often have an "angel" who is funding them, or they ran a capital campaign to raise the money for the facility. BTW- many rescues operate pretty baseline facilities (if they even have a facility)- it benefits the animals to have a clean, light, inviting environment to live in and for potential adopters to visit.
You have some very misguided notions about puppy mills and rescues; please educate yourself. If you are really that concerned, instead of venting on here you would do better to engage a grass roots movement locally and become involved in your state's fight against puppy mills.

I see that you had an almost identical thread on this topic last year..... Between that thread and this thread- well, you can continue venting or you can do something.

I am done here; I am not going to get caught up in the same back and forth that happened with the last thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:56 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,501,168 times
Google "retail rescue"

A much more complicated issue than many "rescues" would have you believe

Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,596,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Legislation means nothing if there is no enforcement. Its against the law to run a puppy mill in Pennsylvania. However, when you have only two agents for the entire state, and when it takes weeks to fill out the paperwork for each suspected circumstance and court dates etc, then you have a situation where the law means nothing.

Just because there is a law means nothing. How many people have you seen drive right through stop signs and on to a road. There’s a law against that, you know.
There are states where it is still legal. I grew up in such a state.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:25 AM

28,947 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
You have some very misguided notions about puppy mills and rescues; please educate yourself. If you are really that concerned, instead of venting on here you would do better to engage a grass roots movement locally and become involved in your state's fight against puppy mills.

I see that you had an almost identical thread on this topic last year..... Between that thread and this thread- well, you can continue venting or you can do something.

I am done here; I am not going to get caught up in the same back and forth that happened with the last thread.
Good, don't go back and forth, however, I do not have misguided notions about puppy mills and rescues....one has to be able to look at a much larger picture.....again, if the rescues were not making any money they wouldn't/couldn't be doing it.

I'm going to do my part as far as your suggestion as engaging, however it's high time that rescues do the same and advocate thoughts of getting these puppy mills shut down. I mean how many dogs can people keep taking/buying? It's gone viral on both sides.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 AM

10,364 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
again, if the rescues were not making any money they wouldn't/couldn't be doing it.
Legitimate rescues are not businesses; they only need to make enough money to cover their costs in order to keep operating.

"Rescues" that are operating as fronts for puppy mills are kept in business by people like Twelvepaws' ex-boss, who don't really care where their cute puppy comes from so long as they can buy one whenever they wish, and who therefore don't do any research. And buying from such a front comes with an added helping of virtue-signaling: they didn't go to an "evil breeder" to get their puppy, they RESCUED!!!!1!

Quote:
I mean how many dogs can people keep taking/buying? It's gone viral on both sides.
An infinite number. There's no limit to the number of dogs crappy owners who don't care can go through.

Buy cute puppy, dump it when it becomes a problem, buy cute puppy #2, dump it when it becomes a problem, buy cute puppy #3, dump it when it becomes a problem... ad infinitum.

As I said, it's a game of Whack-a-Mole.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM

28,947 posts, read 30,301,550 times
I just get so tired of human beings being cruel to animals....and the animals are made to suffer...along with a lot of kids in our country it's very un nerving and upsetting.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:50 PM

44 posts, read 93,787 times
Am I missing something here? Puppy mills will always exist as long a people continue to buy animals from pet stores. The anger and frustration should be directed there, not rescues.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:08 PM

10,364 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzlouise View Post
Am I missing something here? Puppy mills will always exist as long a people continue to buy animals from pet stores.
Not many pet stores sell puppies any more, and these days most puppy mills market their wares online. I'd change your sentence to read "Puppy mills will always exist as long as people don't care about how the puppy they buy was created."

Old 01-13-2018, 02:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,320,865 times
You have gotten yourself all worked up (understandably so) and you already know the answer to your questions. It's a simple matter, and as they say... "follow the money".

A 501(c) organization is a nonprofit organization in the federal law of the United States according to 26 U.S.C.*§*501 and is one of 29 types of nonprofit organizations which are exempt from some federal income taxes. Sections 503 through 505 set out the requirements for attaining such exemptions. Many states refer to Section 501(c) for definitions of organizations exempt from state taxation as well. 501(c) organizations can receive unlimited contributions from individuals, corporations, and unions.

For example, a nonprofit organization may be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) if its primary activities are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering amateur sports competition, preventing cruelty to children, or preventing cruelty to animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)_organization

Here, above and below, we follow the BLUE!

Quote:
Puppy Mills

I want to know why, when so much information is on the internet, regarding puppy mills, how much they make, the deplorable way they treat their dogs, and how they sell their puppies to pet stores, why and how are they allowed to stay open?

Why aren't the rescues hounding our leaders to shut them down for good?

I'm sick to death of watching videos of how abused these dogs are, 4 - 6 in one cage, cages on top of each other, left to live outside, when all over the news, the media was urging people to bring their dogs in out of the cold? What hypocrites. Why doesn't the media cover stories about the Amish Puppy Mills?

And to boot, the rescues...they are making money, if they were not, they couldn't keep building new kennels. They're getting all kinds of donations...to them, it's a job...and yes, thank God for them, but wait a moment...they constantly tell you to not purchase dogs from a pet store, due to bad breeding, disease, and health problems of these dogs, and yet, they are selling them?

I saw a black tie gathering organized by a rescue, black tie and gowns? Whose paying for that?

I see SPCA advertise on TV, for donations, and showing those pathetic pictures of poor dogs scared to death and shaking....

Why in the world are these Puppy mills still open, especially in this day and age....? Why aren't these rescues lobbying for these places to be shut down once and for all.

I challenge ya'll to google Puppy mills and educate yourselves, and you think it stops with dogs....they are stealing horses all over this country and selling them for dog food.

where does it stop? I would like our country to start publishing the names of these people, shutting them down and putting them in jail where they belong....wipe out puppy mills with laws and arrests....it's high time.

what is your take?
Quote:
I know about the issues, I'm just wondering why in God's name in this day and age, is this still happening, there is big big money being made, somewhere by these rescues....why are they not lobbying to shut these puppy mills down? Why aren't people hounding our senate, our capitals, our law enforcement, this is pathetic and inhumane.

They are all preying on these poor dogs for money....

all of them.....

like I said, a black tie, and gown dance from a rescue group. Who the hell do they think they are?
And they're holding up a dog with one eye in the picture, while dressed in a tux and long gown? Are these people sick? Where did the money come from to have that one?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:09 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,227,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not many pet stores sell puppies any more, and these days most puppy mills market their wares online. I'd change your sentence to read "Puppy mills will always exist as long as people don't care about how the puppy they buy was created."
^^^ This. Nothing will change until people change their minds about this. I volunteer at the intake department at a shelter and we are absolutely not bringing in puppoes from puppy mills for profit. Of course we definitely see them that someone has purchased and had for several months and turn over to us because they can't afford the veterinary care or some other reason. But we do not get them directly from puppy mills. We are very opposed to puppy mills, both instittuionally and personnaly with respect o everyone I know well enough, and I suspect every one. We do not make money on the animals we place, or at least on the vat majority. The highest adoption fee we have is for a puppy 4 months or younger. We charge $195, and for that the puppy has been altered, microchipped and received their bordatella, distemper and rabies vaccines. And in some cases much more. And most adoption fees are less. Trust me, you will be hard pressed to get all of that from a vet's office for $195. These fees simply help keep us open to work toward our mission to help animals.

As others have said, one ressue is one rescue. Are there some organizationas out there calling themselves rescues that are really distribution centers for puppy mills? It would be naive to deny it, and I don't. But I thin they are a small number among the real rescues.

Also, you ask who "pays for" the balck tie galas? Those are usually the larges fund raisers of the year for rescues. The attendees pay a niceticket price and there are generally auctions and other ways the charity makes money. It isn't a boondoggle. It is a significant peice of a charity's fundraising strategy. In addition to raising money directly, the idea also is to hopefully get the attention of folks that have discretionary income to donate more down the line. Because, as noted above, your adoption fees don't actually cover your costs.

Non-profits are required to provide annual reports showing where their revenies come from and go, and organizations such as Charity Navigator and others will help in research to those rescues that are genuine and those that are not.

I applaud your stand against puppy mills and completely agree. in my intake department we see some deplorable results and when you see it first hand it's even worse. But please don't assume rescues generally (apart from some possible outliers) are the problem. Most are there to help animals and would love to put puppy mills out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs