Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:33 AM

790 posts, read 4,019,693 times

Advertisements

I haven't posted on the dog forum until now. Hi to all dog people and hi to your dogs.
Has anyone had any successful experience with a natural/non-toxic product to repel tics? I live in Santa Cruz, CA and spend alot of time in the coastal redwoods with my dog and during the rainy season the tics are horrendous but i do not like to use products like Frontline.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 11:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Brewer's Yeast seems to help my dogs, but I can't claim it as entirely successful as we do still get ticks and fleas occasionally.

I give it to them internally, but I've heard you can rub it into their fur.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:53 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,277 times
I was told garlic by my vet (holistic) and read this also on a few sites, but my pup vomited after even a little sprinkle of it on his food. A local pet store whose owner is usually very good with this thing (and owns several dogs who are not vaccinated or given meds other than the law-required rabies) said that you'd have to give a dog far too much garlic to have it really work. I guess it depends on the dog. This looks like an interesting site that might provide some answers:

Dog Tip: Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitoes - Prevention and Treatment

Old 03-23-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Brewer's Yeast seems to help my dogs, but I can't claim it as entirely successful as we do still get ticks and fleas occasionally.

I give it to them internally, but I've heard you can rub it into their fur.
hmmm, interesting. thanks. i'll explore that further.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
I was told garlic by my vet (holistic) and read this also on a few sites, but my pup vomited after even a little sprinkle of it on his food. A local pet store whose owner is usually very good with this thing (and owns several dogs who are not vaccinated or given meds other than the law-required rabies) said that you'd have to give a dog far too much garlic to have it really work. I guess it depends on the dog. This looks like an interesting site that might provide some answers:

Dog Tip: Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitoes - Prevention and Treatment
yes, i've heard of the use of garlic but it's my understanding that both garlic and onions can be really toxic for dogs.
i used to have a lab/retriever mix and she was a real "garbage gut" .... she would eat anything and everything (bless her heart) but the one thing she wouldn't eat was garlic.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:03 PM

177 posts, read 257,638 times
A good one is DE,the natural kind NOT the pool kind.
Once the tic gets on your dog/cats it is destroyed.Only put a very thin layer on you dog and DO NOT WASH your dog until it has worn off.
I made that mistake and it backened my dogs skin for 4months.I was soooo upset.Now nice and pink again/phew
I don't use Fronline etc,it puts poison into your dogs system.
Holitic is the best way.I also go with Titers every year and only vaccinate for Rabies(only because I am forced to).Some states are going to 7yr vaccinations.
Do you get vaccinated every year? of course not,these vaccines last your dogs life,it is the drug companies telling vets to recommend these chemicals in our dogs.
My Vet told me!

Google/ The over vaccination of Dogs)

Old 03-23-2008, 02:56 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
yes, i've heard of the use of garlic but it's my understanding that both garlic and onions can be really toxic for dogs.
i used to have a lab/retriever mix and she was a real "garbage gut" .... she would eat anything and everything (bless her heart) but the one thing she wouldn't eat was garlic.
Onions definitely, but I hadn't heard of garlic being that way and know a lot of folks who use it. But for my pup - neither is a go.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
A good one is DE,the natural kind NOT the pool kind.
Once the tic gets on your dog/cats it is destroyed.Only put a very thin layer on you dog and DO NOT WASH your dog until it has worn off.
I made that mistake and it backened my dogs skin for 4months.I was soooo upset.Now nice and pink again/phew
I don't use Fronline etc,it puts poison into your dogs system.
Holitic is the best way.I also go with Titers every year and only vaccinate for Rabies(only because I am forced to).Some states are going to 7yr vaccinations.
Do you get vaccinated every year? of course not,these vaccines last your dogs life,it is the drug companies telling vets to recommend these chemicals in our dogs.
My Vet told me! Google/ The over vaccination of Dogs)

NewEnglandYankee, what is NE?
No Frontline, etc. for my dog. I remember talking with a guy in Santa Cruz where i live (tics sooooooo bad in the winter and early spring in the woods) and he said that the vet told him that it does cause nerve damage but it doesn't matter because dogs don't live long enough to experience the harm! great. yikes.
Oh, don't get me started on vaccines. I do not vaccinate!
And i'm curious, what semi enlightened states are allowing 7 years?
3 years is outrageous and some states require a rabies vaccination every year! arrrgggghhhhh.
My other dog that i mentioned in an earlier post nearly died from a combo vaccination (parvo and the other one(s) ... can't remember now) many years ago. She couldn't even walk for a couple of days.
When it was time (according to the state) for another rabies vaccination, i took her to a holistic vet and had her titered. The vet told me that she had enough anti-bodies to get her into a foreign country and she hadn't had a rabies vaccination in something like 6 years.
And i have, in the past, used a homeopathic heart worm remedy. Although, i must admit, with the dog i have now, i do use the regular heart worm medication but i think i'll start using the homeopathic remedy again. It's difficult now because i live alone and i need an extra hand to administer the remedies for quite a few days of each month.
I do have a concern about my dog now not having a rabies vaccination but i'm not sure how founded my fear is. The law doesn't concern me. I've never even had a license for either of my dogs. But i'm concerned because if she gets in a tussle with a rabid raccoon (for example) ... well, needless to say, it wouldn't be good.
I found the dog i have now in the Nevada desert and i'm pretty sure she'd never seen a vet. She was around 1 year old when i found her. But i'm so freaked by the vaccines and given my other dogs experience with vaccines i'm hesitant about doing it but don't want her to be in danger with regards to rabies.
I think i'll talk about it with the woman that i get the homeopathic heartworm remedy from.

Google/ The over vaccination of Dogs)[/quote]

Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Garlic can indeed be toxic to dogs. It can cause anemia.

What is the homeopathic heartworm remedy? How does it work?

My understanding is that Frontline does not enter the dog's system. It stays on the skin only. Also, the drug does target a neurochemical pathway, that's how it kills the parasites. But mammals do not have this pathway, only insects do.

I'm all in favor of extending the time between vaccinations. There are some good, solid studies that indicate that some vaccines are effective for 3-4 years at least. But for people who don't believe in vaccinating at all...I wonder if you've ever had to deal with a case of parvovirus or distemper? To me, the horrific effects of these highly contagious diseases far, far outweighs the relatively miniscule risk of vaccine reactions.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM

177 posts, read 257,638 times
Oh I strongly advise for dogs to get their series of Puppy Shots.Yet just like children who have been vaccinated it isn't needed after that.Not in a dogs life time anyway.
My dogs always show high titers and they are 7yrs and 8yrs old.

Oh sorry it isn't NE,it is DE!

Not sure I can spell it w/o it in front of me.
Diamaceous Earth.

There is a ntural kind,which is the one that should be used.
The other one is used for pools.Do not us that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs