Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 04:06 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

If you regularly feel anxious, you might be the perfect candidate for a dog bite. According to a new study published Feb. 1 in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, dog bites in the United Kingdom may be three times more common than official records indicate.

One surprising reason for this? People with an emotionally anxious personality appear to be the likeliest recipients of dog bites (and the least likely people to report them), researchers said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dogs-mo...-people-study/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If you regularly feel anxious, you might be the perfect candidate for a dog bite. According to a new study published Feb. 1 in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, dog bites in the United Kingdom may be three times more common than official records indicate.

One surprising reason for this? People with an emotionally anxious personality appear to be the likeliest recipients of dog bites (and the least likely people to report them), researchers said.

Interesting, but not really shocking. That animals, particularly animals as social as dogs, "read" the moods of the people around them is nothing new, nor is the fact that most dogs respond best to a demeanor of calm confidence.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:08 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Dog owners have long known this. It is a combination of smells and nervous actions that precipitate some bites. Why? Fearful animals are understood by all to be more likely to lash out because they are frightened. So fearful humans, who may not exhibit empathetic behaviors, create worry in other animals like dogs as well. Dogs, cats, horses, cows, etc are more relaxed around relaxed humans, and more on edge around those who are nervous and fearful. Just like a criminal with a gun, better to be around one who is relaxed than nervous.

Best to learn how to relax around animals and to enjoy their company. Parents should find friends to help their kids become comfortable around animals even if the parents are unfortunately fearful.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
I agree, I think dogs pick up on fearful vibes, and when they do, it puts them on alert ("why is this person so nervous? what's wrong???"). If the fear continues, depending on the fear levels of the particular dog, they could wind up biting, or giving a warning signal of some sort.

My experience with cats, OTOH (very generally speaking) is that they tend to be more laid-back and don't worry quite as much if they encounter a nervous person. I've found that usually they just steer clear of the person in question. One exception: I grew up with a cat - a Siamese - who was drawn like a magnet to people who were nervous of him. His reaction was to make an instant beeline to them, and if they were seated, he would jump on their laps and get right in their face and purr...totally ignoring the tense body, the absolute fear, and the desperate pleas for help. We had to remove him a few times from an unsuspecting 'prey'.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:14 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

From the behavior of dogs who have been my companions in my life this is true. However, also in my experience, it depends on WHY a person is anxious or emotionally wound up. Dogs can sense ill intent and if a person is capable of ill intent.
I trust my dog.

I have never raised a dog to be aggressive out of hand. They were ALWAYS under my complete control. I'm the Alpha. I have had dogs who reacted adversely to certain people, and depending on the strength of that reaction these people were invited to leave immediately or closely watched. On either end these people were not welcome to come back to my house.

Just being anxious on it's own has not been a reason for any of the dogs I have had alongside me to key in an aggressive manner. My lady ( Rest in Peace) was a very anxious and wound up person. However not because she was any threat. My dogs would come to her and lay their heads in her lap, lick her hand, and offer comfort. Her anxiety was due to needing help and comfort.

But if there is an underlying aggression in a persons anxiety, I have seen my dogs react to that as well. And yes indeed....yepper, time for these people to leave.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I think the person most likely to be bitten, is the clueless person who rushes over to a strange dog, looms over them with their face right in the dog's face, and starts grabbing.

I suspect that the majority of bites on children are from this behavior, rather than from a child's shyness.

Someone else likely to get bitten, is a person with bad intentions who gets too close to the dog's owner

Anxious people act like prey, but a sane dog won't normally bite a human acting like prey. That should only be a problem with badly socialized dogs, or with a loose pack of dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs