Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, all you would have to tell Home Depot, is that the dog is a service dog, and they aren't likely to do anything about it. The law forbids them from asking you questions about your disability.
They are allowed to ask questions about what the animal is trained to do however. While I agree that they aren't likely to do much about it at this point I think that may change in future. I forget exactly how it's phrased but in my state it is illegal to impersonate someone with a disability, so the law is already in place if businesses finally get fed up and decide to take a hard line on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
This is the point I was going to make. Now people who would have brought their dogs inside will end up leaving them in their hot vehicles to overheat.

Btw, I love Home Depot.
I have never quite understood the whole 'dogs as traveling companions' kind of thing. If you aren't specifically taking your dog somewhere for it's sake why is it even with you to begin with? My son would take his dog to the vet, the dog park, and for 'doggy rides'. Other than that I don't get why people would be dragging their dogs along to places where they would need to be stuck in a car for any length of time. Why do construction workers need to bring animals to a job site? My ex was in construction, I can't think of single time he took one of the dogs along

Old 04-28-2018, 10:29 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yeah, I know it is an arguable policy. Some people are afraid of dogs because they are not familiar with them.
What a naive statement!

Old 04-28-2018, 10:32 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I bet I've spent $100,000 with them over the last 40 years or so. One of the high points is being able to take my dog along. She gets to sniff around and gets petted by other customers.
No more.
Corporate policy is no more dogs except for service animals.
Goodbye Home Depot, Hello Lowes.
What do you think?
I'm sure glad they are enforcing the rules. Guess I won't see you and your mongrel at Walmart either...

Old 04-28-2018, 10:54 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Growing up my family always had one or two dogs. The dog(s) always stayed home. My parents felt that it was inappropriate to impose the dog(s) on other people in public places. I feel the same way so this new policy does not impact my shopping behavior at Home Depot in any way.

For me to abandon Home Depot one of three things must happen: (1) product availability deteriorates, (2) product quality deteriorates or (3) prices increase too much.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:08 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I love dogs. I am not afraid of dogs. I just don't want your dog around me. Take your dog to the park, on a hike in the mountains, etc.
I'm honored when an animal decides it likes me. Your dog, or support elephant, is always welcome around me as long as it isn't bad tempered. Angry support elephants can do a lot of damage especially when they are carrying a load of lumber with their trunks at Home Depot. I've seen it happen . Everybody stay back! But I'm always the one to go say hi to pets when possible. I'm worse than a little kid in that respect, lol. Their owners probably think "Oh no, it's her again, haha."

The oddest pet I ever saw in a store was a pot bellied piggy in a shopping cart at petco . I'll never know how she got it into the cart. With a crane? Yes, I had to say hi to the piggy too . That was fun.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:11 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
First off let me state that I love dogs. I've had them all my life...many different breeds. Mine have always been extremely well trained and capable of going anywhere and dealing with any situation. That said, I don't feel the need to bring my dogs (GSD)to Home Depot or any other place for that matter. I understand that not everyone shares my enthusiasm for dogs so why should they be subjected to them in a store? I was in Home Depot the other day and there were almost as many dogs as people....not all of them were well behaved and some were out and out trip hazards. Of course one decided the hardware aisle was the proper place to relieve himself. Seriously, unless you absolutely need the dog to function....leave it home!

Old 04-28-2018, 11:15 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I have a dog. I love my dog. I don’t feel he needs to go with me everywhere I go. I know your upset but be realistic. Home Depot is just covering their butt. Not everyone who brings their dogs in stores are considerate. What about dogs who make a mess on the floor? If your dog bites someone what then? Sure, people always say “he won’t bite”. Does he know that? Home Depot is just being cautious.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:26 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
There is something profoundly wrong with people who don't like dogs
^^^^^ Yes, this is so true! They really are such grumpy grumps . Same with liking kitties. While I love both creatures I'm really more of a cat person. Many are just as sweet, and friendly as dogs, and you don't have to walk them . Animals enrich our lives to a great extent.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Well...personally if we had a Home Depot nearby I would start shopping there for the very reason you will no longer go there.<>
Not an issue since I'm unlikely to travel 700 miles for hardware. But I get your point.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
<> Guess it was cool while it lasted, but it should not influence your shopping habits unless that was the only reason you went there.
The HD and Lowes are about the same in content and distance, so it was a toss-up. Now it has been decided.
I trhink it was the sudden change that bothered me. OKAY last weekend, not OKAY yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs