Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 AM

893 posts, read 790,768 times

Advertisements

We have three dogs 2 yorkies and a minature dauschaund. My husband wants me to find a nice kennel we can put them up in when we have to go to a family wedding and anniversary party in a couple months. We would be gone about a week. I would rather be able to leave them at home with a house sitter but I don't trust anyone with them but family. You see where this is going don't you? I don't think anyone can take care of them the way I can and worry way too much. We have always taken them everywhere but I must say this time I feel we do need to leave them here, way too many things going on in a short time. Any one else have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:30 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I know how you feel - I absolutely hate leaving my dog with anyone. It is almost worse than leaving my kids with the grandparents since I am reassured that they at least all speak the same language!

A house sitter would definitely be the best option. Someone who actually stays at your house while you are away. Second best would be a pet sitter - someone who comes and goes. You have plenty of time to ask around, interview, check references... I'm sure you'll find someone reliable. Remember, this is always much, much harder on us people than on our four-legged little guys!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I know how you feel - I absolutely hate leaving my dog with anyone. It is almost worse than leaving my kids with the grandparents since I am reassured that they at least all speak the same language!

A house sitter would definitely be the best option. Someone who actually stays at your house while you are away. Second best would be a pet sitter - someone who comes and goes. You have plenty of time to ask around, interview, check references... I'm sure you'll find someone reliable. Remember, this is always much, much harder on us people than on our four-legged little guys!
I know in my head you are right. It is just so hard to find the right one.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
We have three dogs 2 yorkies and a minature dauschaund. My husband wants me to find a nice kennel we can put them up in when we have to go to a family wedding and anniversary party in a couple months. We would be gone about a week. I would rather be able to leave them at home with a house sitter but I don't trust anyone with them but family. You see where this is going don't you? I don't think anyone can take care of them the way I can and worry way too much. We have always taken them everywhere but I must say this time I feel we do need to leave them here, way too many things going on in a short time. Any one else have any suggestions?
I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I hate leaving my babies with strangers. scratch that I hate leaving my babies period. I'm lucky though when I do leave them they stay at my local animal shelter (also a kennel) which is located down the road from my house. The director of the shelter is a good friend and takes excellent care of my fur babies so i don't worry so much (and he understands my feelings when i do have to leave them at the shelter).

once my FIL offered to take my babies for the weekend. I thought it was so sweet of him to offer UNTIL he said he would set up the shed outside for them to stay in. A SHED!!!! You'd put my babies in a shed! I said thank you but no thank you. My babies don't live in a shed, they live in a house.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 AM

OMG a shed??? Scarey what others think that our babies should be treated like. I would die.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I felt best putting my dogs in a kennel where I had visited, checked it out, and asked people at the pet food place and my vet about the place's reputation. True, it wasn't one of those "country club" places where they get special outings and all- after all, it was five dogs for 17 days! I felt better about the institutional setting than I would have with a house sitter, even though I had some recommended. I felt like, Dodger might bite, Chippy won't come in the house, Ezra will have accidents...
When I just had my two Korgi?kollie mutts, they used to stay at times at a friend's house- fenced yard, two Labs, stay-home friend who took all four dogs on long runs on conservation land, or cross-country ski outings. All I had to worry about was them chasing her cat.
I did miss them very much, but I knew they were OK. Four of the five had been in multiple settings, shelters, homeless, etc., and to them, it was just another couple of weeks in an institutional setting. My poor KorgiKollie, who I got as a puppy, looked positively shell-shocked. I thought he might have fallen ill, but he was just stunned at the upset in his life. He came back to life the second he got home.
The beagle had noticably gained weight, and I had told the guy to be sure and feed him separately or tethered or something. (And no one else looked thin...) He said he'd fed him in an enclosure, so he only ate his own food, but "That beagle didn't do anything but sleep and wait for food." Yes, that would be my beagle. He looked like he'd swallowed a basketball.
All the dogs were entered into the computer with all medical info, special needs etc. The woman there was afterwards very helpful in helping me get my dog Chippy to the airport to be returned to Best Friends in Utah, after she decided to stalk, attack, and try to kill my KorgiKollie after a year of peaceful pack life. Try flying a dog from Boston through Houston to Las Vegas the week before Christmas when there were three snowstorms! The woman ended up leaving her dog at the kennel and taking Chippy into her home, since the flight was at 5a. She told me Chippy got up on the bed and snuggled, which was something it took Chippy almost six months to begin to do with me (she'd been feral).
I was so appreciative of this woman's care and help. No fee could equal it.
As much as I'd miss the dogs, I will use the kennel again if I ever have any money for a vacation again. Maybe in 2009. By the way, I did board Ezra, who was a healthy 16, after making sure it was OK with the kennel people, and that they had a friend on local contact in case he became ill. I did feel odd about leaving such an old guy to other people's care, and asked that they (and my friend) treat any medical issues as they would treat their own dog, including having him put down if it seemed appropriate.
Ezra did just fine and died of old age a few weeks ago, probably kidney failure. He had all of two bad days. Cattle dog mixes!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Not sure when your trip plans are, however if you have enough of a jump start interviewing house/pet sitters now. Check with your vet, often times their vet techs do pet sitting.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Not sure when your trip plans are, however if you have enough of a jump start interviewing house/pet sitters now. Check with your vet, often times their vet techs do pet sitting.
Right now my vet tech watches my old cats when I'm gone, forgot to tell you I had them. I am going to see if she knows of anyone who would stay at my house.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
we hired the kid next door for 5 days and it was perfect......he got away from his siblings and the pups got someone they liked......and they ALL slept in our bed lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:53 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,615 times
I'd ask the vet or petshop for the name of people who have done house/pet sitting and interview them like they were gonna take care of my child.
By far the best situation would be a private home with space enough for them all and the love and care to go with it.

Then, I'd try like heck to have a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs