Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,098 times

Advertisements

My 7 month old bit pull puppy has parvo I looked on line and started trying activated charcoal apple cider vinager and water pedialight mixed together so far he has stopped throwing up as much he still won’t eat and I’ve been giving him fluids myself by bottle every chance I get can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for a big difference to show his hydration level is fine his skin snaps back pretty quickly we just lost his brother from this a couple days ago so I’m just not trying to lose him too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 01:06 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisha.caruthers9 View Post
My 7 month old bit pull puppy has parvo I looked on line and started trying activated charcoal apple cider vinager and water pedialight mixed together so far he has stopped throwing up as much he still won’t eat and I’ve been giving him fluids myself by bottle every chance I get can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for a big difference to show his hydration level is fine his skin snaps back pretty quickly we just lost his brother from this a couple days ago so I’m just not trying to lose him too
is there an SPCA in your town? Sometimes they will provide vet help at a lower cost but your pup needs to go to the vet asap!

Old 04-29-2019, 02:06 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
Call your local animal shelter & tell them the situation. They may be able to help you. Your puppy must have had Parvo when you got him/her. Pets are very expensive. If your local Vet's in your area can help your puppy to get well, it will then be up to you to take care of the pup with monthly heart worm prevention, flea prevention, yearly physicals & shots. Not to mention, grooming, nails, grain free food, etc. If you cannot commit to many years of giving a puppy a happy, healthy life, please consider giving your pet over to a family that will.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Call your local animal shelter & tell them the situation. They may be able to help you. Your puppy must have had Parvo when you got him/her. Pets are very expensive. If your local Vet's in your area can help your puppy to get well, it will then be up to you to take care of the pup with monthly heart worm prevention, flea prevention, yearly physicals & shots. Not to mention, grooming, nails, grain free food, etc. If you cannot commit to many years of giving a puppy a happy, healthy life, please consider giving your pet over to a family that will.
Now is not the time to pontificate to this person when the pet is ill. His inquiry was for referrals based on his limited income. I beleive that there are emergency vet hospitals that will tend to the animal and set up a payment plan for the owner.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:36 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
All I can tell you is what the vets do: they put the dog on an IV drip non-stop to keep the dog hydrated and then there is nothing to do but wait it out. if the dog is going to make it, it takes about a week.

If it is Parvo, there is no point in feeding, because the lining of the intestines is dying and falling off, so a dog can't digest food until that process is over.

In future, if you are short on vet money, learn how to give injections yourself. You can buy distemper and Parvo shots for your dogs at the livestock supply store. it's much better that the dog go to the vet for vaccinations and a health care check up, but a vaccination at home is definitely better than nothing.

It is too late to give a vaccine to your dog now and it is a virus so antibiotics won't help. If the dog survives and recovers, please give a complete series of vaccinations: rabies, distemper/ parvo combination shot that can protect from up to 7 diseases.

It would be best to get the dog to the vet to verify that it is Parvo. There are several different things that cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs and some of them are treatable.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:42 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Check out Care Credit. People (medical/dental) and veterinarian use.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:17 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisha.caruthers9 View Post
How do you know its parvo if he hasn't been to a vet?

Old 04-29-2019, 06:46 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Also if the pups littermate died from Parvo you need to bleach the heck out of everything to avoid more contamination. It's very contagious and if (hopefully) this dog survives you want a clean environment.

Fluids are vital, food isn't if he doesn't want anything yet it's ok and when he does go very plain, boiled chicken and rice, scrambled eggs...

Old 04-30-2019, 01:19 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Contact local rescues in your area. Sometimes they will help pay for a dog's medical care.

Assuming your dog recovers, please reach out to the SPCA or other local rescues for help with his vaccinations. They are often free. They will also often have free spay or neuters.

Parvo can stay in the ground for years, so please do not bring another puppy into the household. It could very easily get parvo too just from the tainted environment.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:24 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
IDK, my small community has a Helping Hands of Townname facebook page. Usually single mothers who need help bridging paycheck to paycheck for food or gas requests. People ask for things and if someone has something they aren't using they pass it along.
Someone said their cat was having kittens and I private messaged and offered to pay to have the cat spayed after the kittens were born, we got that done.
Sometimes there are people who will help if you can figure out how to find them. Local help groups, animal whatever. I would only pay the vet bill with the actual vet so you do have to be able to give a vet name and have an account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs