Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:50 PM

7,319 posts, read 9,398,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Sorry I do not mean to break your heart. Yes Dazzle has an aggressive Cancer that will kill him but right now he is alive and living life so not dying. I am hoping by posting his journey that others will see that choosing palliative care and hospice over convention treatments to buy time does not have to be sad it can be an enjoyable time too. Dazzle is alive today and that is all that matters at this moment. Heck I could die before him as we never know! We celebrate each day!!
I'm aorry. I think I worded my post badly. I know what you're doing and I approve as I did the same thing with my dogs. When Luba, my beagle was dying (of old age but I knew the end was coming) she still enjoyed her food right to the last day. And I interacted with her in many ways but her favourite thing was food. And one day I blurted out to her as I was about to give her a treat, "Dead dogs don't chew!" And my husband thought that was hysterically funny and it became a kind of meme after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 04:00 PM

7,217 posts, read 4,912,288 times
What a beautiful post and great pictures! The dogs all sure look like they enjoyed themselves! Sounds like you did too.

Sorry to hear about Dazzle, but I commend you for your approach to his illness. Please give that sweet boy a gentle hug for me.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 PM

19,940 posts, read 22,895,403 times
Very nice story and great pictures. Working dogs have a soft spot in my heart..

Old 06-10-2019, 06:10 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,586,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Sorry I do not mean to break your heart. Yes Dazzle has an aggressive Cancer that will kill him but right now he is alive and living life so not dying. I am hoping by posting his journey that others will see that choosing palliative care and hospice over convention treatments to buy time does not have to be sad it can be an enjoyable time too. Dazzle is alive today and that is all that matters at this moment. Heck I could die before him as we never know! We celebrate each day!!
Thank you for sharing your photos and story of Dazzle. He looks great and I'm so glad for you that he's enjoying life to the fullest with you. I trust you will do what you have to do, if his pain level or quality of life is going downhill.

This coming weekend my husband and I will be attending a Celebration of Life for a friend of ours who chose the palliative care over conventional cancer treatments that she tried when she was first diagnosed. They were making her feel crappy and tired all the time.

I went to see her about two weeks before she passed away at the hospice. She was peaceful and alert once she woke up from her nap to visit me. They had her on pain medication to keep her comfortable and oxygen to aid in her breathing. We had a nice 5 minute visit and I'm so glad I went.

I am fairly certain I'd choose the same thing for myself or our beloved dogs if I, or they get cancer that is incurable.

Best of luck that Dazzle continues to feel well and enjoys living for a long time!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,625,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Farm dog is a great life for a dog. I'm glad that your dogs got to enjoy a bit of that life, even if just for a brief vacation.
A week of ranch life was good for me too! As a young girl I was horse crazy but could never have one as my dad was very allergic to them and when I did go riding I had to shower and change clothing at a friends house. Thus being with the horses last week was heaven to me! As was the quiet relaxing outdoors at the ranch. Loved every minute of it as did the dogs.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,625,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Thank you for sharing your photos and story of Dazzle. He looks great and I'm so glad for you that he's enjoying life to the fullest with you. I trust you will do what you have to do, if his pain level or quality of life is going downhill.

This coming weekend my husband and I will be attending a Celebration of Life for a friend of ours who chose the palliative care over conventional cancer treatments that she tried when she was first diagnosed. They were making her feel crappy and tired all the time.

I went to see her about two weeks before she passed away at the hospice. She was peaceful and alert once she woke up from her nap to visit me. They had her on pain medication to keep her comfortable and oxygen to aid in her breathing. We had a nice 5 minute visit and I'm so glad I went.

I am fairly certain I'd choose the same thing for myself or our beloved dogs if I, or they get cancer that is incurable.

Best of luck that Dazzle continues to feel well and enjoys living for a long time!
After watching my mom go through chemo to buy time when she developed Lung Cancer, unless the chances of a major increase in life I would opt for palliative and hospice care myself. It wasn't that my mom was sick but she was extremely fatigued and could do nothing but sit all day and to her that was not living so she stopped treatment and entered hospice and had a beautiful death at a home. I would rather enjoy a few days or weeks then live a few months longer if there was no quality to my life. Too often we are just prolonging death not life. Dazzle does look great and he seems to feel great too so for now we enjoy the fact he is alive. Each day is a gift and that is not just true for those with a terminal illness as any one of us could be taking our last breath right now, we just do not know it.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:04 AM

48,654 posts, read 35,150,275 times
(((love)))
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-22-2019, 02:37 PM

173 posts, read 122,865 times
Wonderful photos! Thank you for sharing with us fellow dog-lovers!

Old 06-26-2019, 04:33 PM

7,377 posts, read 4,723,496 times
What a great doggie vacation! I believe in hospice care too for our babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs