Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,773,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogissue View Post
My blue nose pit got loose and was grazed by a Rottweiler on her thigh..it Is just a scratch what can i do for it...i can't afford a vet....all that it is , is a line the length of my thumb nail..about 1-2 inches...with just a scratch
Clean it well and put some neosporin on it. If it gets infected (red, swollen, hot to the touch or has pus) he will HAVE to go to the vet. Also watch to see if he starts to limp or not use the leg, that could be another sign of infection. If it gets infected and it's not treated it could have serious consequences.

I'd personally start looking for ways to pay for a vet now just in case you need it. You might look into a care credit card which can be used for vet emergencies.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonhunter2016 View Post
my coon hound was bitten by some kind of snake not sure what kind but he was bitten on the ear it swelled really bad and he didn't want to let me touch it i didnt see any wounds when i noticed the swelling so i put some vitamin c on the ear and immediatly the next morning i seen drainage and it had a bad odor and the hair was gone from around the wound leaving two bite hole marks in his ear he wouldnt eat nothing but he was drinking water walking around alert and using the bathroom it was runny and he urinated well i gave him penicillin and put chicken broth down him cause he wasn't eating didnt want him to get dehydrated then he started eating soft canned dog food after swelling went down which is all the way down now but he is back to not eating and it is day 5 of this i live on a budget income and this is my little boy's dog he hunts him when its season to hunt but he had to of got bitten while he was on the chain cause he aint been out any yet how do i get his appitite back to get him built back up with strength he lost alot of his weight cause he wont eat he only would eat two or 3 bites and stop i really need some help or advice on what to do [mod cut] if im not on here for response thanks so much i dont have much money to go to vets they are outrageous around here andall they want to do is put one down not giving it a chance for things like this
You won't know what the vet wants to do until you see one. Please, please take to dog to get medical attention.

Last edited by volosong; 11-16-2016 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: delete personal e-mail address

Old 11-16-2016, 08:27 PM

6,622 posts, read 6,557,302 times
I don't often speak out poorly about dog owners because we are all (mostly) animal lovers, but this thread disturbs me.

I can't understand some of you people who get dogs and don't want to take them to a vet when they get injured. None of us are vets on here (that I know of) and we can't see the wounds you are describing to tell you what to do. Only a vet can decide treatment and yes they charge you, but leaving your dog to suffer in pain or with an infection is just wrong IMO.

If they need to be seen by a vet, then take them! They can't speak for themselves. If you can't borrow the money, check if there is a charity in your area that assists people to pay for treatment of their pets, or see if the vet will allow you to make payments.

If you can't afford vet bills, then maybe you should have thought twice in the first place about getting a dog, or two, or more, who rely on you for their well-being.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:36 PM

251 posts, read 169,241 times
Clean it with peroxide, then apply iodine
Iodine and sunlight will heal it quickly,

good luck !

Old 11-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondutch View Post
Clean it with peroxide, then apply iodine
Iodine and sunlight will heal it quickly,

good luck !

Not if it's a bite from a snake and not if it's a deep puncture wound. Peroxide shouldn't be used on puncture wounds at all. If it's a shallow scrape it should be fine if it's cleaned well but the above isn't true 100% of the time. From what I've read, sunlight is not beneficial to wound healing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs