Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:10 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times

Advertisements

My 2-month old healthy Golden Lab paid his first visit to the vet for his obligatory shots. I was told there needs to be 4 visits with shots administered every 3 weeks. And ofcourse there is a hefty bill from the vet for each visit. Is it typical to have a puppy's shots spread out over 9 weeks every year? Does he need that many vaccinations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 07:54 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
My 2-month old healthy Golden Lab paid his first visit to the vet for his obligatory shots. I was told there needs to be 4 visits with shots administered every 3 weeks. And ofcourse there is a hefty bill from the vet for each visit. Is it typical to have a puppy's shots spread out over 9 weeks every year? Does he need that many vaccinations?
This is the normal regime for a puppy in order to build his/her immune system. Typically in our area the first vaccine is for Parvovirus, then the first combo vaccines follwed by two boosters and of course depending on the vet the Rabies vaccine will be given at either 16 weeks or six months. All should be good for one year and then when you go back you're merely getting booster vaccines.

Trust me, you do not want to avoid getting these vaccines as they are core vaccines which typically means you're protecting your dog from getting a possible fatal disease.

If you plan on taking Labrador in for training, doggy daycare, overnight kenneling or going to dog parks then discuss the Bordetella vaccine as well.

Keep the pup home until those final vaccines are given to reduce risk of him getting Parvo.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:06 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,604 times
Yes, your puppy does need certain immunizations to protect him from disease.

However, there is controversy about what vaccines are needed and how often. You should be guided by your vet for what vaccines are needed for in your part of the country. However, the following resources may help you ask your vet the right questions about the vaccines he/she is prescribing. Over-vaccination has been linked to health issues, so you want to do the minimum required. Please don't base your decision on cost--base it on what is right for your dog.

Dr. Jean Dodds, a respected veterinarian, has the following recommendations: Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol.

The AVMA recommendations differ slightly, Client Information Brochures (http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/vmth/clientinfo/info/genmed/vaccinproto.html - broken link).

And finally, the AAHA's most recent guidelines: http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen...s06Revised.pdf

Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
This is the normal regime for a puppy in order to build his/her immune system. Typically in our area the first vaccine is for Parvovirus, then the first combo vaccines follwed by two boosters and of course depending on the vet the Rabies vaccine will be given at either 16 weeks or six months. All should be good for one year and then when you go back you're merely getting booster vaccines.

Trust me, you do not want to avoid getting these vaccines as they are core vaccines which typically means you're protecting your dog from getting a possible fatal disease.

If you plan on taking Labrador in for training, doggy daycare, overnight kenneling or going to dog parks then discuss the Bordetella vaccine as well.

Keep the pup home until those final vaccines are given to reduce risk of him getting Parvo.
Well, thanks for letting me know that this is indeed the norm. Believe me, I wouldn't want to deviate from any regime at the vet that will keep the little fella in the best of health going forward. Since I am a newbie at this, I just wanted some confirmation and you provided it.

Not a matter of cost, more a question of how many shots are too many.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
In some areas of the country, they require you to get a rabies vaccination every year. Seems to be a matter of not trusting the owner to keep track. In Utah, it's every 3 years, as that is what the vaccine is good for. I had a cat that couldn't take the rabies vaccine, she would get almost comatose and drool for several hours. As she NEVER went outside, I stopped getting it for her.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
I think puppies like children are over vaccinated.
do your research. Ours was vaccinated all the way because he was from the pound and he was nuts for a few months

I stretch out codys vaccines as far as I can and some I decline.
He doesn't get distemper.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:01 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post

Do some research as Vet are over vaccinating our pets. Mine get shots every 4 years now and I don't think they even need that. Find out for yourself.

Carrie

Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Fl now has a 3 yr rabies vaccine. Don't know about your area, but in Tpa area, my vet did a blood test to determine if my dog needed all shots after the 1st year. I know mine went over 3 years with no shots.. of course, the blood test cost $50.00 I think.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,604 times
Default Over-Vaccination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Fl now has a 3 yr rabies vaccine. Don't know about your area, but in Tpa area, my vet did a blood test to determine if my dog needed all shots after the 1st year. I know mine went over 3 years with no shots.. of course, the blood test cost $50.00 I think.
Those of you who believe our pets are over-vaccinated (and I think there's a lot of us) should be aware of several things:

1. The three year vaccine is approved in the majority of states, so ask your vet if your state has a three year vaccine protocol.

2. Dr. Jean Dodds, Dr. Ronald Schultz and Kris Christine in conjunction with the University of Wisconsin have begun a long-term study to scientifically prove and document that the rabies vaccine continues to provide protection for at least 5 and up to 7 years. They have raised the money to begin the study, but more is needed. Please visit About the Rabies Challenge Fund to read about the study and be generous in your support.

3. The test that Keeper referenced is a vaccine titer test, which measures the level of antibodies present in the blood to determine if there is sufficient immunity to protect the dog from a disease. Vaccines provide protection many years after they are given, but many vets will recommend annual vaccines and will not do titer testing. If you have a dog with epilepsy or an auto-immune disorder, or if your dog has had problems subsequent to vaccination, you may want to find a vet that will perform titer tests. (Tests indicate that my epileptic dog still has sufficient parvo and distemper antibodies 5 years after his last vaccinations. That's important for him because the vaccinations trigger seizures.)

Old 05-12-2008, 12:41 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,502 times
I am not going one way or another, but regardless of what personal beliefs people have about vaccinations/overvaccination, the fact is that unless you plan to keep your dog inside at all times and they will never come in contact with any outside animals and/or you never plan to take him to puppy classes, dog parks, some groomers or socialize the dog, the vaccines are required.

I definitely agree with asking about the 3 year rabies. We do it at our clinic as protocol unless requested otherwise, and for the city license, we just have to take in the same copy of the rabies cert. with the dates on it every year to renew. We also don't do parvo and distemper every year at our clinic either. After the initial puppy series is complete, we alternate so there is only one vaccine every year, 3 year rabies one year, parvo the next and distemper the next and then the cycle starts over.

So, after that initial seemingly drawn out puppy series, it's really not so much. I sometimes do think we over medicate/vaccinate our dogs, but I would rather aire on the side of caution and not have my guys open for exposure to a serious disease that is totally preventable.

The only vaccine required by law is the rabies, but again, unless your dog never leaves the house, he is open to possibly getting really sick.

I know that is a drawn out answer to a quick question about puppy vax, but the thread seemed to be heading in this direction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs