Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times

Advertisements

After years of rescues, I'm going to purchase an AKC puppy from a breeder...I've done my research ect ect...so not to worry that I'm doing a puppy mill or poor quality breeder.

Anywho, the purpose is to train and compete the dog in rally/obedience and tracking.

So my question is where are the "better areas" to do this? I will move out of the SE (hate it here...looking at my 3rd year of getting a tick born disease) I want to move to a dryer temperate climate and the places I'm looking are the Yakima Valley, Spokane area and Southern Or (Grants Pass ect.)

My first choice would be Southern Or however the job situation seems grim but it seems there is access to lots of dog shows not only there but in N. CA.

My second choice is the Yakima Valley...close to Seattle, P-town and Spokane for shows.

Last Spokane seems isolated and a long way off from everything.

I will not be living in a subdivision i'll be getting a mini-farm of 3-5 acres if that makes any difference.

So you performance dog folk where would your ideal place to live and why?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
Look into some breed specific clubs and ask get contacts through them and may find out more.
What breed going with?

Old 05-20-2008, 05:25 AM

Actually, I'm looking for performance clubs/areas that have a lot of shows in Obedience/Rally and also Tracking....

Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Actually, I'm looking for performance clubs/areas that have a lot of shows in Obedience/Rally and also Tracking....
Check the schedules/locations of shows on these sites:

Welcome to Canine Performance Events, Inc. (Canine Performace Events - CPE)
InfoDog AKC Dog Show Information - Main Menu
Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources

APDT events are a lot of fun but, like CPE, not available in all areas of the country, altho gaining in popularity and is spreading. Infodog lists the shows and events by state for every month. Check this to see where you feel you'll have the most opportunity without a lot of travel.

Also, as someone suggested, get in touch with the national and area breed clubs. What breed of dog are you getting? Your breeder should be able to give you some ideas as well. Ask everyone you talk to about chat groups in your breed, or in performance. There are several that I am aware of on yahoo. You can ask in these groups where the most active competition centers are.

We went about selecting our location with the same in mind - a good, active kennel club or two, good training (and some other personal criteria for our relocation) - and can't complain at all about where we ended up.

Good luck, and most of all, have fun!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,101 times
ReturningWest, sounds like you're following your dreams...best of luck to you and your dogs!!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:56 PM

Currently I live in NE GA, but I'm hoping my farm will sell and I'll move back out west.

I'm waiting for a Standard Schanuzer, they are pretty rare so I won't really be getting a lot of support from the regional breed clubs unless I live in Cali.

What I'm hoping for is someone who is actually competing in the events I mentioned to pin-point areas with more shows...I have visited the AKC site and looked at there schedule but it's difficult to compair different areas.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Not that Rare...knew people that raised them.

Welcome to the Standard Schnauzer Club of America

Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Currently I live in NE GA, but I'm hoping my farm will sell and I'll move back out west.

I'm waiting for a Standard Schanuzer, they are pretty rare so I won't really be getting a lot of support from the regional breed clubs unless I live in Cali.

What I'm hoping for is someone who is actually competing in the events I mentioned to pin-point areas with more shows...I have visited the AKC site and looked at there schedule but it's difficult to compair different areas.
Don't be misled by the name for Infodog.com that popped up in my post. It is NOT an AKC site. I hope you looked at it. It has a lot of the information you are looking for. It lists AKC shows by state, by calendar.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:44 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
There are also UKC Shows too...

United Kennel Club: About UKC (http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/LrnAboutUKC - broken link)

Old 05-22-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
There are also UKC Shows too...

United Kennel Club: About UKC (http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/LrnAboutUKC - broken link)
Good reminder, Katie1! Thanks. I forget about that because we're not UKC registered - just AKC and APDT. Maybe eventually we'll go UKC too, but right now we have our work cut out for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs