Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,277,160 times

Advertisements

our Cody has been a major barker lately(last two weeks) and it occured to me that when we(CODY) get bored WE BARK!!!!!!!!!
or he thinks I'm strange because I'm 5 months pregnant

I decided a change in atmosphere was needed. His atmosphere usually consist of the vineyard(once a week), walks around our hood and our back yard.
The vineyard is always fun but I agree w/ him the hood and yard get boring.

We went to the dog park today and no dogs where there but we had fun playing hide n seek. I got kisses all the way home.
We are going to start doing our walks at the park rather then at home in the morning.
He's healthy and well and I can't think of anything else that could be the issue. we will start w/ this and go from there.

Anyones dog get bored w/ its surroundings???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Could he be barking encause he hears fireworks? I know ours have started up recently as have the neighborhood dogs.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
I find that my dogs like routine and need structure. They like to go on their normal walk at the normal time, they like to eat at the same times and they like to leave the kitchen after dinner and go to the TV room at the same time each evening. They bark when we DON'T meet their expectations based on their normal schedule. Outside of these situations, they do get bored, but not with places and things so much as without human interaction. They need playtime and companionship and work to do. A little bit of training or playing ball goes a long way towards creating happy dogs in our household.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I find that my dogs like routine and need structure. They like to go on their normal walk at the normal time, they like to eat at the same times and they like to leave the kitchen after dinner and go to the TV room at the same time each evening. They bark when we DON'T meet their expectations based on their normal schedule. Outside of these situations, they do get bored, but not with places and things so much as without human interaction. They need playtime and companionship and work to do. A little bit of training or playing ball goes a long way towards creating happy dogs in our household.
routine is pretty consistent but I am gonna change up location on the morning walks a little and se what happens.
Cleosmom might be onto something ...fireworks and very distant randomly but thunderstorms are daily.

I got a busy ball for him for when I need to work and for storms. I hope it helps a little. I hate it when he is unhappy or unsettled!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Can you identify anything consistent about the times or situations around the barking? Barking is sometimes self-perpetuating. A person will walk toward the house and make a loud noise. The dog will see/hear it and bark. The person walks away. The dog thinks, "Hmm, person walks toward me, I bark, person walks away! If I bark every time a person walks toward me, they won't make a loud noise AND I'll scare them away!!" A new game begins.... Something like this may have happened.

You could try distracting the dog when the barking begins, to try to change/eliminate the trigger.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Shadow most definitely gets bored doing the same old, same old every day. We do a walk every morning, but we vary where we walk. In the afternoons now that it is hot we are going to the beach, but we also do the dog park or the people park to chase squirrels and we go at the same time every afternoon. So we have a routine that changes.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Can you identify anything consistent about the times or situations around the barking? Barking is sometimes self-perpetuating. A person will walk toward the house and make a loud noise. The dog will see/hear it and bark. The person walks away. The dog thinks, "Hmm, person walks toward me, I bark, person walks away! If I bark every time a person walks toward me, they won't make a loud noise AND I'll scare them away!!" A new game begins.... Something like this may have happened.

You could try distracting the dog when the barking begins, to try to change/eliminate the trigger.
we had the barking almost fixed. I understand a bark when someones at the door and I can ask for a quiet and get it. This is random barking at noooottthhhing but maybe he hears thunder I dont hear???

race someone else has a dog who gets bored. makes me feel like less of a silly lady

Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
we had the barking almost fixed. I understand a bark when someones at the door and I can ask for a quiet and get it. This is random barking at noooottthhhing but maybe he hears thunder I dont hear???

race someone else has a dog who gets bored. makes me feel like less of a silly lady

Yep his hearing is more intense than us as humans. When you're off to work, do you leave a TV or radio on for comfort?

The only other reason I can think of a dog changing his/her barking habits is when they lose their hearing

Old 06-24-2008, 06:56 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
My personal opinion, routine is good for training purposes and for the life of the dog as a companion, not where or how they walk and play. If your dog has a routine of preforming tasks they are taught and expect to do, why would dog be bored? If you change your routine at home, it will do nothing but confuse your dog. So, walking and playing is one thing, behaving at home is another. Dogs love and need leadership, don't get them confused.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,558,182 times
what kind of dog is cody? it may be he needs more added to his routine instead of changing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs