Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,691 times

Advertisements

Have you read The Bark magazine's collection called, Howl? It's fabulous and has contributions by lots of great writers. They have a new collection out too which I've not yet read. I'm currently reading Mark Doty's Dog Years, which is amazing and poignant. One of my all-time favorites which is actually for adolescents, I think, is Sharon Creech's Love That Dog. And less about the human-dog relationship but a great read nonetheless is Elizabeth Marshall Thomas' The Hidden Life of Dogs. Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
I'd recommend "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein, and "Rescuing Sprite" by Mark Levin.

Great books, both of them!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:34 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I LOVED "Racing in the Rain"...LOVED IT! I know more about auto racing than I ever thought I would, but I found it to be an excellent read for a hot summer day...and you can read it in a day. I did!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 PM

390 posts, read 905,167 times
Marley and Me was such a good book. At some parts I laughed so hard, tears were rolling down my face. Other parts I cried. Deep rib racking cries. Merle's door , I read recently, was pretty good. But the best book I have read about a dog thus far is: Pack of Two by: Caroline Knapp. This book stayed on my mind long after I was done reading it.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
All Jon Katz books are excellent as is Merle's Door...could not recommend these books with greater enthusiasm. How about "Walking in Circles Before Lying Down".....very funny and poignant.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Thumbs up A couple more from my bookshelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwana_b View Post
...But the best book I have read about a dog thus far is: Pack of Two by: Caroline Knapp. This book stayed on my mind long after I was done reading it.
Oh yeah, Pack of Two, another great one on my shelf! Also, Woman's Best Friend, women writers on the dogs in their lives was good, and I really loved (and have recommended on here previously) The Dogs of Dreamtime. And it turns out I misreferenced above, the previous Bark book is called Dog Is My Co-Pilot--that's the one I read and loved; the new one is called Howl which I've not read yet.

Lastly, just in case anyone wants to broaden their animal love reading, Chosen by a Horse was superb and continues to stay with me!

Enjoy your summer reading all!!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:37 PM

146 posts, read 738,786 times
"It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump" by John O'Hurley (John Peterman, Elaine's boss on Seinifeld and the current host of Family Feud)

Heartwarming and humorous, he quotes inside the front jacket....

"My life is richer for the presence of dogs. For dogs, there is always time to appreciate the simple joys in life. My dogs have taught me to appreciate more fully and assume much less. The fact that I can have a dog as a companion means that my life is filled with abundance.
I am a much better person with a dog in my lap."

GREAT BOOK!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:15 PM

390 posts, read 905,167 times
Don't miss the bed on the first jump was cute. Chosen by a horse was very interesting and meaningful.
I have to check out Women's best friend, The Dog's of Dreamtime and Dog Is My Co Pilot and let you know. Thank you so much for recommendations on here. I ordered 6 books in one day from Amazon just from recommends from here

Old 08-02-2008, 05:26 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
There is a book but the video "Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas has a lot of great information on dog body language and communication.

Culture Clash is also another good book.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times
Marley and Me is the only one in the genre that I've read (other than Where the Red Fern Grows).I know there is one about a 9/11 working rescue dog .. something like "Bear". I have always meant to read it.Love Marley and Me ... really conveyed the cycle of life, the very rapid cycle of life when it comes to dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs