Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times

Advertisements

For home use, which is rare because my dog typically will not poop in her own yard I use one of these Dog - Pooper Scoopers and Bags - PetFoodDirect and deposit directly into the yard waste bin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:01 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
You only need one grocery bag at a time. Pick up the poop with your hand inside the bag. Turn the bag inside out over the poop and knot up. Clean and easy and not as smelly.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:17 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times
How about considering paying a little more and being earth friendly? We should all start making some earth adjustments...right?

We use poop bags that are 100% biodegradable. We buy in bulk for our two large dogs. We don't have human kids. We simply remind ourselves how the cost of the bags is still cheaper than raising a human kid. We love these bags and even use this company's kitchen trash bags http://www.poopbags.com The shipping is included in the price to buy these bags.

Then you can take your plastic grocery bags to be recycled or even better don't use them! Bring your own reusable grocery bag. We use these and they are only $1.25 each! http://www.browntoearthbagco.com/ You can find reusuable bags almost anywhere or make your own if you are great with a needle and thread using old material.

Just thought we would share our green tips. You can go ahead and laugh now or rip this post up with your comments!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:24 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
No, I appreciate that - my dogs are not allowed to defecate on walks - we take care of that before we go and I just have the bags for the occassional need. [like when travelling]

We just scoop it up from the yard and throw it in the woods

Old 08-02-2008, 11:26 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Dollar Tree for $1 you can get 100 disposable plastic gloves!

Old 08-02-2008, 12:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Then you can take your plastic grocery bags to be recycled or even better don't use them! Bring your own reusable grocery bag.]
I have three reusable grocery bags, two canvas and one polypropylene but still end up with the plastic ones--so they get used for poop patrol.
When it comes to "waste management," I do think it is a wonderful idea to use biodegradable, compostable bags if you possibly can, though the ones I've seen are kinda small for what Elwood (a mastiff) can sometimes produce.
The Publix where I shop offers plastic bag recycling, and I have read that the Greenwise (Publix) markets use biodegradable plastic bags, but cannot confirm this.
Like Granny, sometimes we are able to just chuck it the woods where it becomes part of the forest floor, which happens rather quickly here in Florida.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:01 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,871 times
Default re: frequency of poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Dollar Tree for $1 you can get 100 disposable plastic gloves!
I was going to recommend that exact product! I just got some the other day because the grocery bags are really bulky in my pockets.

Also, since we're on the subject of poop, how many times a day is normal? My 9 month old goes about 4-5 times/day. Twice during our morning walk - one after just a minute or so (which is solid) then maybe again after about 30-45 minutes of walking/running (which is really soft). Then, he'll go again when we first get to the park (soft again), and again after about an hour there (so soft can't really pick it up). Sometimes again just before he goes to sleep for the night. 100% of time it smells just awful

We feed him about 2 cups a day, which may seem like a lot for a 15lb. dog, but he looks really healthy and isn't putting on any weight.

Just curious if you guys thought this was normal. I didn't want to start an entirely new thread about it if I didn't have to.

If it matters, for the last six weeks we've been feeding him Castor & Polllux Puppy mix which appears to have good ingredients.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
My 4 15-lb dogs usually 'go' about 2x a day, once in a while 1 or 2 will 'go' 3x a day (depends if they've gotten too many treats and also on our schedule, if we're home most of the time they can go out often so don't have to 'hold it' for too long). Til recently, they were mostly on Nutro Natural, sometimes I'll mix in a free little sample bag of Solid Gold, Natural Balance etc just to give them a bit of variety, actually I had never heard of Castor & Pollux til recently but someone gave me 1/2 of a small bag and I mixed it w/ the Nutro and they liked it, it looks like it has good ingredients. Mind didnt fare well on Wellness, they had looser poops (were OK w/ it if it was mixed in w/ Nutro Natural but not alone by itself). 2 cups seems like a lot for a 15 lb dog (mine get apprx 1/2 cup, in fact we cut back a bit in the winter b/c they're not active, ie too much snow in this area) but they're seniors and couch potatoes, yours sounds high energy and prob. burns a lot off.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Wow you guys! My 80 pound dog might eat 1/2 cup per day. I free feed, and she picks & nibbles like a cat a few pieces at a time. There is never more than 1 cup in her bowl at a time and I only put food in every 2-3 days. She will produce 1 nice firm poop in the morning. If somebody feeds her a bunch of people food she will poop a second time, but most days it is just 1.

Puppies are an entirely different thing. They eat EVERYTHING and their systems are fairly efficient at processing wastes. When Shadow was 9 months old she pooped 3 times a day like clockwork.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Holy Cannoli - an 80 lb dog that eats 1/2 cup a day? That must be one mellow dog. My 70lb dog eats 3 cups of EVO a day [and 4 of any other decent dog food] - now he is very active but I also limit his food - no free feed in my house. My 50lb female would eat until she popped if I did that. She gets about 2 cups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs