Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM

134 posts, read 680,858 times

Advertisements

Recently had a bad case of Parvo for my rescue puppy that came from a Los Angles shelter...horrid place.

This was an experience I want to avoid at all costs. Poor little girl suffered so much. We're hoping she'll make it. Moderator cut: blog

Any advice on how to prevent this disease when rescuing a dog from a shelter?

How to identify it so it doesn't affect other dogs?

Thanks.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-27-2008 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: blogs not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
A pretty good read!
Parvo FAQs

Old 08-27-2008, 11:10 AM

324 posts, read 1,707,183 times
I've always heard that it lived for 2 years in the soil.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 PM

134 posts, read 680,858 times
Thanks Shelby...that was the exact site I read that led me to run to the vet the other day with little Zoey.

Moderator cut: deleted reference to blog

I still need to know how to identify Parvo with the rescue dogs I get to prevent this happening again.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with this disease, especially how dangerous the house is with the infected pup now gone and in the vet hospital?

The website said things like kill your lawn, bleach everything...pretty extreme.

Last edited by leorah; 08-27-2008 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: NO links to personal blogs or websites allowed on the forum

Old 08-27-2008, 04:29 PM

324 posts, read 1,707,183 times
I'd talk with the vet about this. I think that is extreme and not to mention awful for the environment.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,620 times
My son and I decided to expand our family by adopting 2 10 week old sister puppies. One of my puppies (Kloey) began throwing up uncontrollably last Wednesday and I got her in to see a vet right away at Banfield Pet Hospital. He told me that she had an obstruction and after $500 worth of x-rays and blood work recommended $2400 worth of exploratory surgery, I rushed her to the emergency hospital hoping for a better price or a referral to somebody that would work out a payment arrangement. I was surprised when the vet looked at her x-rays and blood work, and then came in with 1 last test. When he returned to tell me he would never do exploratory surgery on a puppy with Parvo, I was shocked and dismayed. He said that she not only tested positive but had a "very high positive". Having just spent $500 on unnecessary tests at Banfield Pet Hospital in San Bernardino, CA, I couldn't afford to hospitalize her and couldn't take her home to treat since I had her seemingly healthy sister there. I had to make the heartbreaking decision to let her go. It wasn't until Saturday that her sister (karly) began showing the same symptoms. When I contacted the owner of Banfield Pet Hospital to let them know that unless obstruction is contagious they were completely wrong and took advantage of my desire to save my loved one, the basic response that I got was...sorry for your luck. I am now trying to treat my 2nd puppy at home since I have spent $900 in the last week in vet bills. I firmly believe that Banfield Pet Hospital was completely underhanded and has no concern for the safety and well being of any animals that they may treat. I am a single mother that struggles as it is and to have someone take advantage of my heartbreak, I'm disgusted. I can only hope that we can, with our love and medication, pull Karly through. I am determined that Parvo will not win this battle but my options for treatment have been limited by Banfield Pet Hospital.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:58 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Parvo went thru my kennel back in the 1990s... That was when I 1st started going to dog shows. Anyway the vet told me it had most like came home on our shoes. After that I bleached everything inc my yard & carring bottles of bleach to shows. Parvo shots every 6 months instead of yearly. Parvo is a killer...even if your dog survives its life is very short lived.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I would contact them again and speak to the head vet or mgr. Send an email to the headquarters. Call or send email to Banfield C.E.O. and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Scott Campbell
Banfield Pet Hospital Glenhaven corporate headquarters at 8000 N.E. Tillamook St. Portland OR.

Threaten to go to the media. Contact PetSmart and complain..

Call a local vet, explain the situation and ask if they will work with you. Most have some type of payment plan.

Good Luck, I do hope your pup gets better. Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 11,150 times
Default i had a puppy with parvo

The first sign of parvo is diarreah, with blood in it; your puppy not wanting to drink or eat, and then vomiting... Getting a puppy from the pound you won;t really be able to know; unless you see the bloody diarreah in there. But if it is a really calm puppy chances are it is sick. But if you do happen to get another puppy and it has parvo; give it ester c vitamins mixed with chicken broth and pedialyte; use a medicine dropper. That is what we did when the vet gave our puppy a 2% chance of living; He survived. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,150 times
stacy--- use the chicken broth, 1 ester c tablet and pedialyte---with a medicine dropper ----good luck I hope shes doing good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs