Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:36 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Would you do that regardless of the temperature outside? If I left my dog in the car when it was 60-65, in the shade with windows cracked - would you still call the cops? If so, you really are "overzealous!" I take my dog on driving errands all the time, and often leave him in the car when weather permits... around here, it rarely gets too hot OR too cold for that to be dangerous. Been doing this for almost 6 years in the same area, and Rudy's never gotten heatstroke or even panted hard. And with this being a large city, the cops might fine you for wasting their time with such a call (especially since it's not illegal unless temps are over 80). So please, do call them on me!!

P.S. My dog also doesn't bark from inside the car, in fact he's usually fast asleep the whole time.
No, I meant if it was hot out. I haven't been fined yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everloving View Post
Seriously? Try using Google. Here, I'll provide you a link:

Hyperthermia and Heatstroke | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

And just in case you don't feel like going to it, it's from the National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration and states that even temps in the 60's can cause the temp in your car to reach well above 110 degrees and that the temp can rise 20 degrees in 10 minutes.
That's in the sun with all windows up, and only mentions even cracking the windows - since the link is regarding children, and nobody would leave them open wider with a child in there. Some dogs, on the other hand, can be left with more open window... and anyone with sense parks in the shade.

Quote:
Just leave the darn dog home. Everyone will be better off.
What if you live in an apartment with no a/c, like I do? What then, and why is my dog still alive?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
No, I meant if it was hot out. I haven't been fined yet.
Okay then... I forgive you for that, and would do the same myself.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:17 PM

7 posts, read 17,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
there was no difference between my dog being in the yard at home (hot) or in the car wide open (hot),

Old 10-16-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I don't get this type. Actually, I shake my head and laugh at those who would tell me that my dog is "in distress" when he's in the car barking when it's 55 degrees outside.

Ugh...hello?? We're not talking about that temperature. Jeebus.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
(especially since it's not illegal unless temps are over 80)
LOL, that's not true. Look up the laws, there is not one state that mentions a cutoff temperature.

Would you leave your child in a car on a 79 degree day in the sun with the windows cracked?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
All of my dogs like riding in my pick-up. I leave the windows down year round. They will not leave the truck unless I tell them to do so and on a leash they are very polite. I do advise not sticking your hand inside my truck and trying to pet them is not wise. German Shepherds are very smart and take their duties seriously. If inside the truck and I am not there, they are at work, they have been trained to be somewhat distrustful.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
UGH is all I can say to this.

Your poor dog.
My poor dog?? Really?? He's the happiest, healthiest dog you could imagine, and I am seriously holding back some nasty words for you right now. My dog means the WORLD to me, and has been my best friend & companion since I adopted him almost 6 years ago. I would never put him in harm's way, and my blood is boiling that you'd even think such a thing.

Obviously it's never really hot here (in the Bay Area), or I'd have central air-conditioning... we actually do have an a/c unit in the living room, but it's rarely ever used. And I asked why my dog is still alive? It's because we're not only in a mild climate, but my apartment is shaded & stays rather cool. I was just being snarky, and trying to make the point that it's not always cooler at home. Now I suggest you stop attacking people & their dog-raising, before it gets even uglier on this thread.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-17-2011 at 02:12 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
LOL, that's not true. Look up the laws, there is not one state that mentions a cutoff temperature.
There may not be an exact legal cutoff, but it's clearly implied in more than one version of our law...

http://www.theanimalcouncil.com/file...ECTION_597.pdf
"makes it illegal for pet owners to leave their animals in an enclosed vehicle under dangerous conditions starting next year. The new law is designed to protect animals from being cooped up in cars during a summer heat wave or winter frost."
"But the temperature in a car on an 80-degree day could easily escalate to 120 degrees in less than 20 minutes. At that temperature, animals can suffer brain damage and die from being locked in an enclosed vehicle."

In this link, they state that with windows closed it's dangerous above 72 outside, and above 85 with windows opened:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/05-06/...chaptered.html

I don't remember where I read the specific number of 80 being "outside of the safe zone," but I believe it was from the ASPCA. I've honestly never had to think much about it, since until recently I lived in San Francisco - where it was pretty much 55-65 degrees year round. Now I'm in the slightly warmer south bay, but it's still incredibly mild 90% of the time... and if I'm EVER in doubt, Rudy stays home. Not sure where you got the idea I was torturing my dog, but you're both wrong and rude for implying such a thing.

Quote:
Would you leave your child in a car on a 79 degree day in the sun with the windows cracked?
I don't have a child, but if I did they wouldn't be left alone in a car (under a certain age) - not because of heat, but for safety reasons. Different species, different rules.

And again, you seem to have a reading comprehension problem, because I never said anything about "in the sun." Matter of fact, I stated several times that anyone with SENSE would park in the shade... and since I do have sense, that's where I park when Rudy's in the car. Duh. I also said the windows are more than cracked, but you apparently "missed" that detail too.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-17-2011 at 01:27 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 AM

Now to lighten the mood a bit... here's a bird owner, who found a good solution when temps (down where I work) were a bit warm.

("Everloving" would probably call the cops on this owner too )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs