Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,032,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Seriously teatime, what is it with you and pit bulls??

Clearly these neighbors are not responsible or knowledgeable pet owners, and of all breeds, they have to go out and get a pit bull. These poor dogs already get a bad rep as it is, it's such a shame that they keep ending up with unfit owners who don't know how to or care enough to properly train/socialize and care for them.
I know it! The kids don't like it because it plays rough and bites. The parents don't spend much time with it, either. I don't know why they bother to have a dog. If the kids wanted one, you'd think they'd get a pet that would be more gentle and kid-friendly!

But, no. Pitbulls are "in" and "bad-a$&." Gotta be a pitbull!

Why can't I live next to the nice people who have a gorgeous and well-mannered Great Pyrenees and walk it faithfully?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times
many dog people act the same with their kids, they want them, but its somebody elses problem.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:50 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,784,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I know it! The kids don't like it because it plays rough and bites. The parents don't spend much time with it, either. I don't know why they bother to have a dog. If the kids wanted one, you'd think they'd get a pet that would be more gentle and kid-friendly!

But, no. Pitbulls are "in" and "bad-a$&." Gotta be a pitbull!

Why can't I live next to the nice people who have a gorgeous and well-mannered Great Pyrenees and walk it faithfully?!
Oh Teatime, if only we all could have a gorgeous and well-mannered Pyrenees living next to us, life would have to be lovely. There are too many people like this with pets. They just get them to have them. Seemed like a good idea at that time. Whatever right? Stick it out in the backyard. Again, Whatever. Ok...deep breath. Maybe with your influence the children will learn.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:34 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,596,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Seriously teatime, what is it with you and pit bulls??

Clearly these neighbors are not responsible or knowledgeable pet owners, and of all breeds, they have to go out and get a pit bull. These poor dogs already get a bad rep as it is, it's such a shame that they keep ending up with unfit owners who don't know how to or care enough to properly train/socialize and care for them.
I agree...it's people like these neighbors of yours that give Pitt Bulls a bad name! So unfair! A couple I know (great friends of mine) have a Pitt who's the sweetest, cutest guy ever! (Of course, they take him for long walks in the mountains almost daily, and then he gets to hang in the house with his favorite people & cats for the rest of the night, so of course he's sweet! He's got responsible owners!!!)
But some people just don't get it...!
You did the right thing by calling animal control...maybe now these people will realize they can't just treat their dogs like outside appendages! If all else failed, I'd probably steal the dog & find it a REAL home, or at least tip someone off about him!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:29 AM

859 posts, read 2,151,499 times
Any dog left outside like this can become a Pain.
Sorry if you have a dog take it inside and treat it with Love and Family time, and teach him him/her
Sorry thats my feelings on this .

Just can not stand it .....* Oh I/we love my/our Dog so much*
But then its tied up outside all day and IF its lucky to come in its AFTER dinner because he *jumps* and you cant handle the dog at that time with Dinner,,,, so the poor dog gets about 2 hrs a day with a family.

then shortly after that....it gets given away ( not enough room to roam) ( needs more Love we can give) ( allergies after having dog 3 years)

Sorry, I take having my Dogs serouis ( sp) they are inside dogs and are spoiled rotten ! as it should be

* off my Soap box now*

Old 10-01-2008, 07:33 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,378,648 times
I've had problems with neighbor's dogs...it's the southern porch dog mentality down here. We've only just recently gotten a leash law in our rural county and I've called animal control several times on several different neighbors...I'd never confront anyone about their dog unless I knew them really well - let the authorities handle it!

Considering it costs them about $100-$1000 it generally resolves the issue. One neighbor was so pissed they showed up drunk on my doorstep scared the ***** out of me, I also told them I would not be having a problem with their dogs running loose again (6-7 very large dogs with the pack mentality going) because the next time they came on my property I'd shoot them (I don't have a gun but they don't know that ) This pack attacked my 20lbs dog while we were walking on MY property and he was on a flexi-leash this same pack also attacked another neighbor's cattle and killed several calves and chewed the ears off a momma cow before the cattle owners could shoot some of them. So instead of just keeping the one they had left they "collected" more large dogs and turned them loose on the neighborhood again sooooo I called animal control again and apparently it cost them $1000 per dog and they had about 6 at the time I haven't seen them since

DO NOT FEEL BAD about calling animal control that's what you pay your tax dollars for and it's their job. I do hope your neighbors either shape up or find the dog an appropriate home.

Last edited by ReturningWest; 10-01-2008 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: fix spelling

Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,032,783 times
Well, so far so good as it's been quiet. However, I don't think the dog's living conditions have improved. It was still on the deck, attached to the arm of the satellite dish with a 4-foot leash, sigh. I'm just hoping they didn't beat the heck out of it to keep it quiet!

Heh, don't think I haven't considered putting up a sign in front of it saying "Free to good and loving home!" j/k

Old 10-05-2008, 12:17 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,174,849 times
Quote:
I'm just hoping they didn't beat the heck out of it to keep it quiet!
Heh, don't think I haven't considered putting up a sign in front of it saying "Free to good and loving home!" j/k

Yes, you should, but by now the poor dog's been so neglected, it won't be a good pet without a lot of care! I have the same mind-set a block over with two Pits. The owner left them (they were puppies at the time,) outside last year on the coldest night we had. I was tempted to jump the fence & bring them home to get warm. Now those two have had a litter. All outside, in town, barking their heads off. Poor dogs.

No offense to true Pit-Bull lovers, but I think some men own them like they would a gun they don't know how to use; a macho bragging thing. Morons.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:42 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,179,332 times
It's a shame some people have no idea how to treat and care for a pet no matter what the breed is.
Pit Bulls do have a reputation and neglect from bad owners just makes things worse when the dog gets aggressive or loud.
I have an adorable and loving Lab that is treated better and more spoiled than a lot of kids.
All dogs should be loved and cared for no matter whether they be Pit Bulls or Heinz 57.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:29 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,178,174 times
Quote:
Well, the neighbors who had their pitbull stolen got an other one. And I've just called animal control about it. The puppy is left outside on its own all day and all night. It barks non-stop. I feel sorry for it but it's driving me crazy.

When it's on a chain, the chain is too short and it can't move much. When it's not, it's in the road, on my property, etc. The dog came after my home health caregivers a few days ago. And when I was outside tending my roses over the weekend, it came over and was biting my hands, pulling on my shirt (which it ripped) and just being a nuisance.

The husband apologised to me for it barking all of the time but he won't DO anything about it! I told him that dogs want to be with their people, not by themselves. That was apparently ignored.

I saw no other option but to call animal control. They said they'd have someone come over and have a talk with the neighbors. I hope they tell them they could seize the dog or make them pay a fine. Maybe that will wise them up! Sigh, I hate being the "bad gal" but something has to give!
That is a very sad little story there Teatime....
I agree when having any puppy the owners need to readjust their schedule to come home and check on their pup and make sure they are secure and have food.
I am a pit owner and he is like my child, we have had him since he was 1 month old and we caged him in the home and made sure he had enough food and water until I could get home on my lunch break.
My pit has never barked (he is now 9 months old) and 100 lbs the first time I heard him bark was yesterday at a small animal I presume and it was short-lived (3 minutes if that). He is loving, loves children and gets excited at any human interaction and does not bark at people when he goes for walks.
Now back to a solution....Caging works wonders if you get the dog adjusted to it early on. The cages are huge, kennel sized cages that allow any big dog the ability to roam around, eat and sleep. One can find these cages online or at any specialty pet supply stor, this can be placed in the garage this way the dog may not have the chance to be stolen, run into traffic or bother neighbors. The puppy barks most likely from the inability to move around much and being stuck in one place with as you stated a too short chain.
Perhaps the next time you speak with your neighboor you can suggest caging him in the garage for everyone's safety?
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs