Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:18 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times

Advertisements

A friend has a pitbull that has some serious skin allergy problems. I think the dog was put on Hills WD years ago for the allergies. I read up on that dog food and saw some bad reviews. I also noticed the ingredients were corn, preservatives, fillers and other not so good ingredients. Could this dog be having a problem with that food making her worse? What would be a better food for her dog. She also has her dog on prednisone and eye drops. I am thinking maybe that food is not good for her or her allergy problems. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 05:43 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
; Corn and that other stuff are, indeed, proven allergens:http://tedeboy.tripod.com/drmichaelwfox/id81.html (broken link)

Here are details on the WD stuff (scroll down for thorough explanation.)
Dog Food Reviews - Hills Prescription W/D - Powered by ReviewPost

Here are in-debth analysis of virtually every food and their ingredients: Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

(Hill's is in the one-star tier -- foods are graded from 1 to 6 stars based on species-appropriate quality of ingredients.)

It may be time we presented the facts to veterinarians who "put" our pets on this stuff and demand refunds not just for the food, but for all the illness and unnecessary expense/medication it apparently casues.

Seeing is believing! We've seen firsthand how dogs "miraculously" cure once put on appropriate, healthy diets :>) No more drugs, either!

Last edited by Travel'r; 12-13-2008 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 06:06 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,253 times
My dog is going through a skin allergy now. Went to the vet Thursday so I could get him some relief. I don't like medications but sometimes they are needed. Better than suffering. I noticed everyone had a shirt with Hills Science Diet on them. I have been researching dog food and noticed it was rated really bad. Also learned how to read the label and know what is good and bad, especially when it comes to allergies.

Guess what, my vet reccomended Hill Science Diet to me. I told him I just switched to Natural Balance. He did not say good or bad but recomended Science Diet. I did not bother bringing it up what I know about it, I am sure he he would of given me some sales story.

Tell your friend to get rid of that food and get a better brand. Feed it to the squirrels.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:40 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
My friends dog has been on Hill's RD for allergies. I thought it was WD. I know all of it has corn and bad stuff in it. Thanx for the info. I will tell her! I had my dogs on Hills Science Diet for years and my good animal rescue friend saw me buying it one day and explained how bad it was....I quickly switched my dogs to Nutro. Now I am looking for an even better food.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:48 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Try the Natural Balance. They have an allergy formula, but the poor dog may just need food without corn, wheat, soy, and any kind of gluten. So any formula without those ingredients would be good to start. Don't buy anything from the supermarket.

Some dogs may have allergies to a certain protein (like chicken), so your friend may need to try a new formula. Feed the new food for at least 2-3 weeks to see if there's any kind of improvement.

Steelstress

Old 12-13-2008, 11:56 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
My dog is going through a skin allergy now. Went to the vet Thursday so I could get him some relief. I don't like medications but sometimes they are needed. Better than suffering. I noticed everyone had a shirt with Hills Science Diet on them. I have been researching dog food and noticed it was rated really bad. Also learned how to read the label and know what is good and bad, especially when it comes to allergies.

Guess what, my vet reccomended Hill Science Diet to me. I told him I just switched to Natural Balance. He did not say good or bad but recomended Science Diet. I did not bother bringing it up what I know about it, I am sure he he would of given me some sales story.

Tell your friend to get rid of that food and get a better brand. Feed it to the squirrels.
Exactly my experience! They do not get that kick back if you choose not to buy the Hills, and they would probably see us (our pets) more if we fed that stuff. Ugh!
We must do our research on our own.
I would also recommend a Holistic vet. They are open to so much, including incorporating homemade meals in with natural store bought pet foods.
Dogs should not eat corn... ugh.

Great book:
The Nature of Animal Healing, Martin Goldstein DVM.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:04 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
A friend has a pitbull that has some serious skin allergy problems. I think the dog was put on Hills WD years ago for the allergies. I read up on that dog food and saw some bad reviews. I also noticed the ingredients were corn, preservatives, fillers and other not so good ingredients. Could this dog be having a problem with that food making her worse? What would be a better food for her dog. She also has her dog on prednisone and eye drops. I am thinking maybe that food is not good for her or her allergy problems. What do you think?

Ugh. yes, this food is making condition worse, and if it wasn't getting worse it would stay, so either way the vets or getting $ and poor doggie is suffering. Been on the food for years... And the prednisone causes problems of its own.

Try Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Solid Gold... so many natural brands out there now. Try online at Only Natural Pet Supply.
also must incorporate Wet canned for too and can also cooked occasionally and freeze portions for dogie.
This will result in healthy or at healthier dogie and happy, also Less vets bills/costs. ... for the most part IMO, live longer too.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:18 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,981,326 times
You could try Wellness Core and Canidae makes a grain free food also

Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I agree. I'd rather go for a home made food. I've found some additional links. I'm talking to a dog nutritionist tomorrow.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:01 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
When my cat started getting scaly, dry skin with dandruff, etc. I started him on an all meats food (Artemis) and his skin got much, much better. Also, everytime he'd eat the dry food, his skin got worse.Food affects their skin and coats alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs