Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
At first my newest adoptee (Min Pin puppy) was staying with my other dog when we went for walks. As long as she was staying around, I just didn't bother with the leash because of the way she fought it. Then, one day I was ready to go somewhere and took the dogs out only to have her run across the street into my neighbors back yard and totally oblivious to my calling her or trying to catch her.

She would wait until I was right up on her and would take off. My neighbors were probably laughing at me trying to catch the dog... and her winning. I decided that day that we would not be walking outside without a leash again.

Since that day it's been so cold that she doesn't want to go outside so we've not been working with it but I should probably get a harness for her to wear around here and get comfortable with.

We can practice walking around on a leash inside the house, I guess!
Yikes!!!!

The step-in harness by Cetacea is fabulous! Artie had no trouble getting used to it. In fact, he likes getting into it (I just position his two front paws, one in each "hole" on either side of the chest strip) better than when I had to struggle with his collar.

This harness just fits around the chest/back. There's nothing to it, yet it makes walking easier. I suspect your little girl won't have any problem getting used to it, but I think it's a fabulous idea walking around inside with the leash.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any problem finding this harness that I'm talking about. I'll send you a link if you can't find it. But just Google "step in harness cetacea" and you should get a bunch of hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yikes!!!!

The step-in harness by Cetacea is fabulous! Artie had no trouble getting used to it. In fact, he likes getting into it (I just position his two front paws, one in each "hole" on either side of the chest strip) better than when I had to struggle with his collar.

This harness just fits around the chest/back. There's nothing to it, yet it makes walking easier. I suspect your little girl won't have any problem getting used to it, but I think it's a fabulous idea walking around inside with the leash.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any problem finding this harness that I'm talking about. I'll send you a link if you can't find it. But just Google "step in harness cetacea" and you should get a bunch of hits.
As long as a leash isn't attached she'll probably not have a problem with it. She's always got some kind of sweater on so it will be another article of clothing to her.

I should get one and work with the leash.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpeters View Post
Hi, my pomerian will allow me to put a leash on her but when I try to walk her and direct her in a certain direction by pulling a little bit on the leash she lays down on the ground and pulls away the oposite direction. She also yelps when I try and pull her a little. What can I do about this? i have tried her favorite snack and that doesn't work.

Thank you!
Toy breeds can be tricky but I get the feeling that OP should probably stop letting the pomeranian train her.

My first impulse would be to keep this dog on the leash and secured to a belt loop 100% of the time. She'll learn that the leash means control and that she has to stay close-by. From there going for a walk outside should be a snap.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Toy breeds can be tricky but I get the feeling that OP should probably stop letting the pomeranian train her.

My first impulse would be to keep this dog on the leash and secured to a belt loop 100% of the time. She'll learn that the leash means control and that she has to stay close-by. From there going for a walk outside should be a snap.
That's a really good idea.

You do the same exact thing with larger dogs. Why do we people treat toy breeds differently?

They're just dogs... only smaller. I seem to have forgotten that!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

Great advice It is second nature for the pup to follow you around the house anyway, and this also helps with house-training, which can also be particularly tricky with the toys.
As our OP has no doubt learned, poms can be stubborn, determined, bossy little critters. Despite their small size, they need strong leadership just as much as their bigger northern-breed cousins.
I'm convinced that every Pom thinks that he or she is really a husky (or something similar) in disguise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs