Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times

Advertisements

I adopted a rescue dog last April and she was obviously abused terribly but I have noticed she never barks...NEVER. We have 2 other dogs that she plays with and gets snarky with but none of us have heard her bark. We have been wondering if she was 1) beaten when she would bark so she has a learned response to barking or 2) her previous "owners" (tormentors) had her vocal chords surgically cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
I think if a dog has been "de-barked" they can still bark, it just comes out very raspy as though they had a sore throat. I had a rescue dog a few years ago who had been very abused for years. She didn't bark or play-growl for a few months, and then watch out! Such a huge bark came out of that little body!

You've had her for close to a year, so she must feel comfortable and safe by now. Was a vet not able to tell when she had an exam? I'm curious as to the answer....maybe ViralMD will chime in here.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I think if a dog has been "de-barked" they can still bark, it just comes out very raspy as though they had a sore throat. I had a rescue dog a few years ago who had been very abused for years. She didn't bark or play-growl for a few months, and then watch out! Such a huge bark came out of that little body!

You've had her for close to a year, so she must feel comfortable and safe by now. Was a vet not able to tell when she had an exam? I'm curious as to the answer....maybe ViralMD will chime in here.
We did not think to have the vet check her vocal chords were damaged because we just figured she was skiddish. come to think of it, I think I have heard the bark will be raspy rather than silent so perhaps this is a learned response...

thank you!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
When I adopted Phoenix her bark was a raspy quiet bark. The Humane Society told me it is because she was deaf and never learned how to bark. But I do believe barking is a natural thing not something puppies are taught and I have heard other deaf dogs bark. The 5 deaf aussie puppies I helped all could make a normal bark.We figure she was debarked sometime during her first two years of life. She also use to choke alot when eating but that has improved over the years which could be another indication as debarked dogs are at a higher risk of aspiration. Anyway hers is more of a hark harf sound then a normal bark. I have since heard there are certain breeds that are known to be barkers that it use to be common for people to debark which I find to be so sad. Despite what ever Phoenix endured her first two years she is one sweet girl.

What breed is you dog?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:18 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Dogs who have been de-barked, don't lose the urge too bark. If she isn't attempting to bark, then she probably doesn't want to. If she were trying to bark, and it came out as raspy, then there would be more need for concern. Such as a problem with the larnyx.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
When I adopted Phoenix her bark was a raspy quiet bark. The Humane Society told me it is because she was deaf and never learned how to bark. But I do believe barking is a natural thing not something puppies are taught and I have heard other deaf dogs bark. The 5 deaf aussie puppies I helped all could make a normal bark.We figure she was debarked sometime during her first two years of life. She also use to choke alot when eating but that has improved over the years which could be another indication as debarked dogs are at a higher risk of aspiration. Anyway hers is more of a hark harf sound then a normal bark. I have since heard there are certain breeds that are known to be barkers that it use to be common for people to debark which I find to be so sad. Despite what ever Phoenix endured her first two years she is one sweet girl.

What breed is you dog?
What a sad story...people can be so cruel to their animals. Our little Lucy was adopted at a shelter for abused animals and she seems to be a yellow lab mix...she is a precious dog.

Perhaps she is just not a barker...no complaints here

Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,459 times
I have a black lab that is 3 and he didn't bark for the longest time. He still only barks when someone pulls up to the house and it's only one big deep bark.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 PM

821 posts, read 2,037,670 times
I have never heard of a Dog being De-barked - It sure sounds horrible.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I have a friend who has a much beloved Australian Cattle Dog who barks at everything all of the time. Her neighbors kept calling the police because of the nuisance barking, even when the dog was in the house you could hear him several houses away. Out of desperation to not have her dog get her fines or possibly be taken away she had her vet surgically sever his vocal cords. He still barks constantly but the sound is a very soft, vaguely duck quack.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
What a sad story, thank God for people like you who rescue these poor souls.
My x used to landscape and he did a property where the people kept a collie typed dog chained under their deck. He said the dog would bark but nothing came out. The owners told him the neighbors complained of their dog barking so they had the vocal cords cut. My x never went back to that property. He felt so bad for that dog living under the deck and not being able to bark.
People disgust me when they do this and abuse animals like this! Hope your girl will eventually bark and be ok!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs