Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

CHICAGO, March 3 (UPI) -- A Chicago animal shelter says that talk show host Oprah Winfrey has adopted an 8-week-old blonde-colored cocker spaniel.

"(The dog) is really cute," Lisa Nowak, a representative for PAWS in Chicago, told Us Weekly. "Oprah saw her and fell in love with her! She was very excited."

Oprah adopts puppy from shelter - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Default Adopt from org. & shelters

That's good news. Glad to hear that.
More & more people seem to be losing their homes, which means more pets going to shelters.
If any of you can...please adopt.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Default Oprah Adopts Puppy from Shelter

How lucky is this little puppy?? I am an avid fan of adopting puppies/dogs from shelters. I would like to see some of the older dogs in shelters find homes. I think that older dogs should be placed with seniors who are in good health and can care for them. They would keep the seniors active and at the same time give the dog a good home.

When my Mom was in a rest home, the resident dog was this huge Bernese Mountain Dog named Chewbaka...they called him Chewy. He was an amazing addition to the home and the residents loved Chewy. They also had a resident kitty that use to board from room to room with the residents who would request having the kitty in their room for a few days. It was so awesome to go visit Mom and see the kitty sleeping on her bed or her roommates bed. Pets are the best, aren't they?

I agree...adopt, adopt, adopt!!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Oprah sure has a thing for cocker Spaniels. Didn't one of her dogs die recently?

You go Oprah

Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
I vaguely rem. something about that, maybe it choked on a ball when the petsitter was walking it - ? Anyway, am happy for the little puppy.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:36 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Oprah sure has a thing for cocker Spaniels. Didn't one of her dogs die recently?

You go Oprah
Both of her cockers have passed on.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
She had cockers all of whom passed away the last being Sophie who was 13 died of kidney failure, she then got 3 goldens one of whom found a small plastic ball and swallowed it.
Oprah Winfrey's Beloved Golden Retriever Dies - Oprah Winfrey : People.com

Since then Oprah has done several shows about puppymills and she sponsored several shelters or at least has given money to them. She swore her next dog would come from a shelter. Good for her for doing just that.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:32 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post

You go Oprah
She also has three goldens, although I think she gave one back to the breeder! I think that puppy mill show educated her, now she is adopting from a shelter......good for her! I do not think she knew how bad animal abuse and neglect was in the past.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 PM

68 posts, read 221,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
She also has three goldens, although I think she gave one back to the breeder! I think that puppy mill show educated her, now she is adopting from a shelter......good for her! I do not think she knew how bad animal abuse and neglect was in the past.
Good now that she knows how bad the animal abuse situation is here in America she can go adopt a few thousand and build a huge shelter somewhere....glad she adopted a cute little puppy......wish she would adopt a not so cute dog in real need of a good home.......sorry but I have no sympathy for one that is worth BILLIONS and does so little......

Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Hey- my shelter seniors are all very cute!
My latest, the 13-year-old shepherd mix that I posted about as "senior escape artist," curls up like a little ball (for a 55-pound girl) when she isn't climbing the fence to run wild.
I just started crating her when I go to my night shift. She was tearing up the living room, having accidents, and just having a blast when I was out at work. I tried putting her bed in the big bathroom, and she had accidents, tore clothing off the hooks, and pulled up the heating grate from the vent.
Last night she was in her crate. Not thrilled at first, but no accidents and it seems to have reminded her about housebreaking, which I think will improve (former "household" left her outside in a Rhode Island unsheltered run around the clock for a long time).
Puppies are cuteness perfecton, but seniors are poignantly adorable.

Glad Oprah adopted. She has such a wide audience and so much influence on a broad swath of American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs