Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 15,864 times

Advertisements

Hi, I want to get my dog into therapy work. He has no training but I know he would be great. My, father owns a campground in Abingdon, Va and I work there. Banjo is there everyday with me and greets everyone who comes in the office. He also likes to walk around the campground meeting other dogs and people. He especially loves children and lets them hang on him or bury him in the sand box. He has never bitten, or acted aggressive to anyone. He is 4 yrs old and ever since he was just 8 weeks has been around people at the campground. The first 5 months we had him he pretty much was walked constantly by every child in the campground. I think he would enjoy visiting other people that need a little doggy love. He doesn't give kisses though. He has never been a big kisser and the closest you will get from him is a wet snoot on the side of you face. He is a German Shepherd mix and weighs about 60 - 70 lbs depending on the season. During the summer he gets more of a work out because of all the people and kids to visit. I have been looking for a class or organization local to me to get some more information and was wondering if there is anyone that could point me to a good site or someplace to get the information I seek.

Thanks for any help.
Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:05 PM

177 posts, read 757,461 times
I've been interested in pursuing this also. The closest thing I've found was a local agility training center that gives therapy dog classes. You have to complete basic obedience courses with the dog first, and then you can take the therapy classes and get certified. I'd link to you, but it won't help much since it's in CA and you're in VA. But maybe that's a starting point, to find an agility place and see if they offer specialized classes. A place like PetSmart that does the very BASIC training won't cut it for this, most likely...

Old 04-10-2009, 06:13 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
For Information & Classes & Tests Therapy Dogs

Old 04-11-2009, 12:57 PM

I found this wile looking for places close in Virginia. It basically says that for the state of Va I just call the place I want to go and if they say ok, I just show up.

http://www.playfulpups.com/virginia_therapy_dog_training.htm

Last edited by leorah; 04-12-2009 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Edited link

Old 04-11-2009, 01:29 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I can not get your link to work...so can not view what they have to say.
But you can help your dog before test day. First....he must be able to sit and stay, no matter what kind of distractions are around him...loud noises, bouncing balls, kids, cats...you name it, they will test his reserve.
He must be able to leave food, or anything that falls in front of him alone...This is a big must...for his saftey..in leaving any meds, etc that might fall in a hospital type setting.
For us...they dressed a guy in a gorilla suit and came up behind me and grabbed me....my dog was not to react in an aggressive manner...thankfully he didn't...but only because I gave him a command to stay and lots of "it's oks".
Something that is very helpful, is attending basic dog training classes and then going on to get his CGC....Canine Good Citizen....
Good luck! It is quite rewarding and you will meet lots of wonderful people and their animals.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:18 PM

He knows sit, lay, roll over, speak, leave alone, shake, and catch. We are working on the stay. Sometimes he will , sometime not. He has no problems with people coming up to him and hanging all over him. There have been many times when someone (mainly children) have come up and giving him a choke hold hug and he just sits there with a silly happy face on till they are finished. The only other thing is the cat. He doesn't want to hurt them he just really likes to love on them. He will chase them but every time he has managed to get one he just picks it up with a soft mouth and takes it somewhere to lay down with it and lick it. I think he thinks they are moving toys. He does the same thing to rabbits.

This is from the site that is linked above. This is all it has on it too.
Quote:
Virginia Therapy Dog Training

[

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-11-2009 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 04-12-2009, 07:04 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
In my area, this is the organization that you go through to get your dog certified as a therapy dog. I think they're nation-wide.

https://www.deltasociety.org/Page.aspx?pid=183

Old 04-12-2009, 05:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
If you have a well behaved dog, some nursing homes will welcome you even b4 you have this training.
What helps, is the dog does get to see a wheelchair, and people get to see a dog! My 2 never did the training, however, we would visit nusing homes. All they did request was shots to be current, and then
they would have some rooms where people wanted a visit! One dog, just had this inner sense about
people she would visit. However, when a resident would drop food, she did take it. Or they would just give it to her. They each had there favorites there to see!

Old 04-12-2009, 05:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
If you have a well behaved dog, some nursing homes will welcome you even b4 you have this training.
What helps, is the dog does get to see a wheelchair, and people get to see a dog! My 2 never did the training, whwever, we would visit nusing homes. All they did request was shots to be current, and then
they would have some rooms where people wanted a visit! One dog, just had this inner sense about
people she would visit. However, when a resident would drop food, she did take it. Or they would just give it to her. They each had there favorites there to see!

There is a huge Ins. risk with this. Both for the owner of the dog and the nursing facility. By working with an org. one is covered by there Ins. I wouldn't even think of walking into a place without coverage these days! A simple scratch could cause a very large lawsuit.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Your dog takin Anything Is not Healty for the dog Thats why they & you need the training. & as Shelby said your dog scraching any would can be dangerous & a lawsuit. A Simple scrach on a dibetic can cause loss of limb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs