Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,739,045 times

Advertisements

Biden's Puppy Breeder: "Never, Never, Never Again" | NBC Philadelphia

I don't know if the lady is a legitimate breeder or a 'backyard breeder' but her world has been turned upside down after this incident. There was a backlash for the family not getting a dog from a rescue.

This is horrible since her legal fees are accumulating....

What do you think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
Like vegetarians have their nutjobs who give them a bad name so do pet lovers. Though in the case of PETA they are one and the same. Some people just love to ram their opinions down other peoples throat at any cost and they dont care. Theyll die a sad and lonely death in a home somewhere I think but while theyre alive and kicking theyll make peoples lives hell if they can.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,170,962 times
I think PETA and anyone else should mind their own damn business.
Anyone ever checked the PETA member's households to see how many shelter pets they have?
Biden should publicly tell everyone to screw off and that he can darn well buy a dog if he wants and from whomever he chooses.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:04 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
That's terrible. It was Obama who said that he was getting a shelter dog, Biden never said anything about going that route. And there have been purebred dogs in the White House for years with nary a prior protest from animal lovers.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
I think the anti-breeder sentiment has gone too far. I know everyone advocates adopting from a shelter or a rescue, and I do so too, but people who even mention the possibility of buying from a breeder are vilified. there was even a thread where where this happened recently. there's NOTHING wrong w/ getting your dog from a reputable breeder. not saying the lady the Bidens got their pup from is legit or not (it seemed like she was a large scale breeder, but I don't remember the details). regardless, it's always best to consider all possible options, and for some people, going to a reputable breeder is the best option for them. there are good, reputable breeders out there. again, that doesn't make people who go to breeders evil or that they are killing a shelter pup w/ their choice

there are already rumors circulating that the Obamas will be getting an older PWD (apparently, a dog that was returned to the breeder) from the same breeder that Ted Kennedy got his dogs from and people are already up in arms that they aren't adopted. I've said from the beginning that I don't care where the Obamas get their new dog so long as it wasn't from a BYB/puppy mill. I will not think less of them for not adopting from a shelter, and frankly, not everyone wants to take on the potential risk w/ a shelter dog. yes, there can be risks, especially w/ an older dog. rescues that foster dogs for a period of time can mitigate the risks by better gauging the temperament of the dog, but even still, a dog from a stable lineage may be better. when I adopted my dog from the shelter, I learned the hard way that she didn't like being touched during a thunder storm and she didn't really like having her feet handled (she snapped at me in both cases). I didn't discover the t-storm fear until almost 6 months after I had adopted her and the foot touching fear a couple months earlier (I know the foot issue may have stemmed from painful nail clipping experiences since her nails were clipped almost all the way down to the pad when I first got her)

remember, this is going to be the first time dog for a very high profile family. this dog is going to be around a lot of people for at least 4 years. let's not forget the uproar when Barney bit 2 reporters. that's the last thing the Obamas need, a shelter dog w/ a potential unknown background

Old 04-11-2009, 12:25 AM

830 posts, read 2,713,399 times
Well, I am disappointed to hear about anyone, particularly someone in a very public position like this, supporting breeding. It makes it look like the "regular" way to get a dog. I do care where the Obamas get their dog from. I didn't read the article but I don't feel sorry for any one who breeds no matter what kind of backlash they get, sorry.

And I don't like PETA either.

I don't think you have to be a crazy nut job to look around and say "Gee, look at those freezers and barrels in the back of thousands of shelters across our country. Perhaps we should not accept the creation of more dogs at this point in time".

But I also want to point having a purebred dog from a breeder in no way incubates you from ending up with a dog with "issues". Many of those shelter dogs are someone's purposely bred dog that they discarded when it manifested those issues. And also, many of those shelter dogs are perfectly happy, balanced little mutts who won't bite a single reporter or maul any children in their whole lives.

Barney, that evil little biting dog, was, in fact, a purebred from a breeder. Probably even a really stable lineage of utmost championshipness and regality from an upstanding "responsible breeder", obtained at the desirable puppy stage. That dog should have been perfect, right?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:51 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,455,589 times
As Miu said, there's been purebread dogs in the white house for years. Who knows what the full story is on the breeder.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
People choose to get their animals from breeders or shelters for a variety of reasons. Last time I checked, this was a country where people are free to make the decisions they felt best for their family. Don't see where it is anyone's business but the Biden's.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:53 AM

218 posts, read 755,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
That's terrible. It was Obama who said that he was getting a shelter dog, Biden never said anything about going that route. And there have been purebred dogs in the White House for years with nary a prior protest from animal lovers.
what is the saddest thing is that today more than ever , the MEDIOTS will harp on this huge "News event" and all the sheep will be running to have the breed in more demand, only to discard them when the novelty wears off. society is sick and so obsessed with what any celeb is doing that I am glad President Obama s a little self conscious about his choosing of his new dog.

Did anyone see The Prez on Leno, where he fudged when Jay was inquiring about the breed he was getting? He never specified the breed, I caught that right away and boy did my respect go even higher.

Anyways, I don't care what dog anyone gets, nor do I care what the PETA Wackos are stirring up but things, unfortunately are so much different now than even when Reagan had his dog of choice. Things were not so obscenely wacked back then, and reporters on nightly newscasts focused on actual News -- NOT the latest celebrity fads, and who's wearing and getting what. It's pathetic that it's come to this. Thankfully there ARE animal-loving people in the public eye (OBAMA for one) who take today's warped climate into consideration because they know the tiniest thing they do could set off the next MEDIOT-induced FAD.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
I remember when Disney's 101 Dalmatians was released, and everyone ran out and bought Dalmatian puppies. I also remember when every other family on my block had collies, because of the TV show Lassie.
This dog fad business has been going on a long time.
Having a mutt with issues is just as probable as having a purebred with problems, I know from experience.
Of course the Bidens will be under more scrutiny, but obviously they researched the breed, had their reasons for choosing it--and I feel really bad for the breeder.
PETA seems to have its own problems. (http://digg.com/d1nIzx - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs