Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:10 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,697 times

Advertisements

Hobbs, the new dog was on our bed last night, a rare treat for him. My husband got into bed and accidentally sat on part of Hobbs causing him to yelp loudly and take a bite out of the side of my husband's face! Nasty puncture wound with bruising. Dog's fine. Was this a natural reaction on the part of this dog? Do pitbulls do this? My purebred labs NEVER bit us even when we accidentally stepped on their paws. Is Hobbs really sweet and gentle or is there another side to new family member from the shelter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Gosh, I don't know, they all have their own personalities regardless of the breed. Maybe the dog felt strange, being on the bed was a new experience for him, he c/h just been startled, had a sensitive paw for some reason etc. Glad your husband's OK. Truthfully, I might keep him off the bed for a while til you're more sure of each other (talking about the dog, not your hubby, LOL). As long as he's getting along well w/ everyone else in other aspects, would give him the benefit of the doubt and take what happened as a fluke but I wouldnt be too eager to have him back on the bed, not for a while anyway. JMO.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:29 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Sweet and gentle dogs don't bite.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Sweet and gentle dogs don't bite.
Every dog has the capability/instinct to bite. Depends on the situation.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Sorry I don't remember but did you raise the labs from puppies?
It is different when you don't raise the dog. You have only had this dog for a short period of time and have no idea how he was treated previously.

Was the dog hurt or startled? Is it possible that the dog was just trying to warn your DH and the dog didn't mean to break the skin?

If the dog is a velcro dog to you, I would suggest you not let the dog sleep in the bed with you and DH until you are sure who is the pack leader. He may have been trying to protect you.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
My rule with a new dog is first bite is yours the second bite not tolerated and it goes . I will not tolerate a dog who bites at all . I will not have someone injured because I did not take proper precautions with this dog ,that in my opinion is a irresponsible owner .

Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Your boy is new to the house. And your husband obviously (though unintentionally) did something that hurt him. Dog DO bite when they're hurt and/or startled! That's why vets keep muzzles in the office! This is a NATURAL reaction on the part of the dog.

I'm sure everyone will be fine!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Hobbs, the new dog was on our bed last night, a rare treat for him. My husband got into bed and accidentally sat on part of Hobbs causing him to yelp loudly and take a bite out of the side of my husband's face! Nasty puncture wound with bruising. Dog's fine. Was this a natural reaction on the part of this dog? Do pitbulls do this? My purebred labs NEVER bit us even when we accidentally stepped on their paws. Is Hobbs really sweet and gentle or is there another side to new family member from the shelter?
The dog acted instinctually to protect himself. Your husband hurt him and he reacted; it would be the equivalent of someone "accidentally" sitting on you--you would at least try to push them off to protect yourself, wouldn't you? especially if the person sitting on you were twice as big and you didn't know them very well.
Well, your dog doesn't have hands--he has a mouth and teeth; this is what dogs use to protect themselves. And b/c he is new to your household, he doesn't feel quite comfortable yet.
I wouldn't overreact. I would just take things a bit more slowly with this dog and be very patient.
BTW, I had a similar incident with a neighbor's cat. The cat doesn't know me very well but I picked her up take her inside [to my neighbor's.] She saw my dog and bit me so hard to get away b/c she was afraid. Same thing as your DH--nasty puncture wound--except not on the face; I had to go on antibiotics. And I learned my lesson.
Does it mean that cat isn't sweet? Of course not. What it means is that she is an animal who will (and can) defend herself if she feels threatened. I would keep that in mind.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,832 times
I'm not a professional, but I know that when a dog is in pain, he or she may lash out. This is the dog's way of communicating that feeling. The dog is not "bad" for reacting, in fact maybe he has extra-sensitive paws! Be gentle with them!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,460 times
I can only speak from my own experience - our first rescue is definitely MY dog, the 2nd rescue is definitely my husband's dog - by this I mean that they listen to both of us but definitely respond to the human they prefer much more quickly. The 3rd rescue is OURS, if that makes sense.

I wish I'd never started allowing my dog in our bed. With age, she finds it too difficult to make the trip up to the bed anymore and the others now go their respective dog beds at night and not in our bedroom. Any future dogs will also not be allowed in bed with us. I think the dog might be YOUR dog and maybe a little jealous PLUS what others have said, he may have inadvertently hurt the paw or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs