Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:39 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Are you being facetious? I'll assume you're not, that you are serious...

Buying them all (or any) just feeds the "supply & demand", they'll get more and keep on with it.
Nope, totally serious. My opinion is one at a time is better than nothing. But that's what this forum is all about - different opinions.

Maybe they won't get more and that's what I'd like to believe. I'm a sap and a rube and would like to think I'm making a difference... one at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 04:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Default Making a difference... one at a time.

Dear Sunset;

I like to think by these exchanges, we raise the level of consciousness not only for the readers, but for all those the reader's touch, as well. While I may not see the possibility of adopting every abandoned animal I encounter, I certainly accept your choice in that regard.

For those of us less capable, I know there are other choices to make a difference, too.

Thanks, again, to all who participate in making this world better, in their own choices.

Bless you, and keep you, now and forever.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
WOW..........

if the seller was a reputable breeder, i'm guessing a hand-painted sign on the road would not have been necessary...... sure people have the "right" to sell puppies (and kittens for that matter) and keep breeding more to "sell" ..... but they should also be aware of what they are doing .... contributing to the ridiculous over-population of unwanted pets that are abandoned, tortured, starved until they are finally put to death .... humanely, one would hope.... but no guarantees there either....... it is a PRECIOUS FEW that wind up in good homes......i am inclined to agree with the sentiment that the sellers are just trying to make a few bucks for themselves off of their dog..... with no thought at all to what is likely to happen to those pups that are sold through that sign......didn't plan on the dog having puppies?? there is a very simple way to prevent that before the dog even goes through her first heat.......
Look, if either you or the OP who posted this want to be a big "right fighter" and advocate for the poor animals in shelters, then go to the shelters in your area and volunteer your time instead of thinking about harassing someone at their own home, or over the phone about selling puppies. This situation was simply NOT the OP's business nor anyone elses and could have ended badly had they called or approached the person selling puppies. How did anyone know that perhaps there was some KID who made that sign and was into helping the parents sell puppies? There could have been all kinds of scenarios that did NOT warrant anyone poking their nose in....AND...should the OP have been this concerned then a call to the SPCA would have been in order.

I am a BIG advocate of adoption and have a dog and two cats that I pulled out of bad shelter situations. My pit bull was found tied to a dumpster, had recently had puppies, someone stole all her puppies and left her behind to bleed to death. She was too young to have puppies in the first place. When I saw her, she was in a cage with a cement floor and a dirty old blanket in one corner. I couldn't take her out of there fast enough. She weighed 24 pounds and you could count every rib in her body. She also had kennel cough and I spent many nights with her sleeping on my lap so I could be sure she wouldn't stop breathing. One of my adopted kitties was tossed out a car window at 6 weeks at a local shelter...a drive by kitty drop and the other who is now 19 was with a family who physically got a kick out of abusing her. So, you see, you don't need to lecture me about adoption.

My whole point here is, the OP was out of line thinking that she could call this family or harass them without actually having driven up to their house to see the situation and should she happen to have this happen again...call the SPCA...that is what they are there for but be sure the SPCA isn't going on some kind of witch hunt because there are other little animals out there who REALLY need them.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
good for you getting your pit bull and kitties out of the shelter .... made room for those that are coming in next after having been sold through a hand painted sign on the road, or on the walmart parking lot, or through a newspaper ad, or at a flea market or at a pet store......

Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TITAN 777 View Post
There is just no excuse for stupidity. PERIOD Those are the kind of people I would like to chain somewhere and starve them for a week, let them lay out there with no shelter, beat them a few times, put them in as a bait " person " and then shove their sorry asses in a 2 by 4 cage and oh gee and if nobody wants them walk em to the gas chamber cause a lot of states still use gas chambers for these poor innocent babies that STUPID PEOPLE LIKE HER allow to be born in the first place. And putting signs like that up is just asking for trouble of course not for the stupid person but for the POOR DOG who winds up God knows where. HOW DO THESE FREAKING PEOPLE SLEEP AT NIGHT IDIOTS !!!!!!!!
I agree with you with regard to cruelty to animals but we can't control what happens to animals once they leave the pet stores, puppy mills, homes or shelters no more than we can control who has children. It is sad but true that there is absolutely no way to stop this cruelty until it is discovered. Stopping at someones home who has puppies for sale to give them a bunch of crap about it isn't going to prevent where those puppies end up nor stop the people from breeding their dog again. It is their business and no one has the right to prevent them from letting their dog breed unless it is proven that there is harm being done. Someone on here hit the nail on the head when they said it is a lot like a Jehova Witness showing up on your doorstep and thumping their bible. You know you believe in God and have your own way of doing so but who are they to try to turn your head in their direction by showing up on your doorstep? It is an invasion of privacy and a nuisance...same applies to showing up and perhaps giving someone a hard time who chooses to breed dogs.

Look, if you are this passionate about cruelty to animals and the overbreeding issues then volunteer at your local shelter. So many of them are short staffed and need the help. Educate your friends, family and whoever you know will listen to the pitfalls of over breeding and not spaying and neutering your animals.

Everyone is so quick to be a huge right fighter for the safety and health of animals but not many will do anything except expel a lot of hot air about the unfairness of it all. Do I volunteer...you betcha! Do I donate? Absolutely and I have been adopting pets since my son was 6 years old and he is now 41.

So.....all we can do is pray that this family/person who is trying to sell puppies is a good person, mind our own business in this instance and turn our anger for cruelty to animals in a good direction...go volunteer or adopt and leave private citizens alone.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:57 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Just buy all of them, if you can, and then find good homes for them. Maybe you are supposed to have them... I don't know but if it was me was me, just buy them and the mom and dad. I know it hurts the pocket book but sometimes, you just gotta give up the bucks and eat rice and mac and cheese. But that's just me... poor in money but rich in canine love.
That's frankly just not realistic. I've adopted 2 shelter dogs in the past year. I wanted to adopt them all. It broke my heart. How in the heck am I going to take care of them all? Two is enough . I have a house on a 1/5 acre lot, a 3 year old and another on the way. I can't fix the world's problems by myself, you just have to do your part. Plus, it would just encourage these idiots to breed more. That would be a big score for someone just to drive by and buy them all, talk about an easy payday!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:59 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
you're absolutely correct..... they do have every right to sell these puppies anyway they see fit..... and breed the poor mother again and again until she is worn out......

BUT that doesn't make it the right and compassionate thing to do, and it does not negate other people's right to be outraged and disgusted by those actions.......

Old 06-19-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My husband and I were driving to our next RV park here in the Catskills, and I saw a hand-painted sign: "Red Pit Bull Puppies for Sale" and the phone number.

My first inclination was to call them, and try to help them understand that this breed is already way, way over-represented in Animal Shelters, and if they wanted to support the breed, adopt. Of course, I immediately realized that would be stupid. (My first ideas usually are, darn it.)

Anyway, my question is, what SHOULD one do, when one sees such a sign. Obviously, the person hasn't been enlightened, and I wouldn't want to alienate them by being presumptuous, but then I don't want to read more sad stories about pits, either.
I'd seen a few instances of this type stuff recently. Separate times I saw Yorkie and Shih-Tzu (sp?) puppies for sale out of the back of a truck. Then one day I was at Sonic with my daughter and saw a guy obviously selling pitbull puppies to someone in the parking lot. I was furious. So I wrote our local animal services director and she said it was indeed illegal. She said the next time to please call the Animal Services or the police.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
you're absolutely correct..... they do have every right to sell these puppies anyway they see fit..... and breed the poor mother again and again until she is worn out......

BUT that doesn't make it the right and compassionate thing to do, and it does not negate other people's right to be outraged and disgusted by those actions.......
Actually I bet it isn't their right to sell them on the side of the road without some form of business license.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL
Just buy all of them, if you can, and then find good homes for them. Maybe you are supposed to have them... I don't know but if it was me was me, just buy them and the mom and dad. I know it hurts the pocket book but sometimes, you just gotta give up the bucks and eat rice and mac and cheese. But that's just me... poor in money but rich in canine love.
How is that insuring the puppies are any better off than if they are sold to 6 seperate homes. Are you saying you could take on an additional 6 dogs, feed them, provide medical care, love and affection. Or do you just feel you are better qualified to find homes for them than someone you dont even know.

I have an aunt, bless her heart, the loves animals dearly. She began taking in stray cats and dogs, but didnt have the funds needed which ended in more litters, until it finially got out of hand. We dont have an SPCA or real animal control so her dau. fininally helped get all of them fixed. Although she has a big heart and meant well, taking on more animals than you can support is not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs