Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,059 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all.

DH and I are dreaming about how we might remodel our kitchen some day.

We need to have flexible floors in our kitchen, as the house was built in 1941 and sits on piers. The previous owners put down 12 x 12 ceramic tiles, and we're experiencing a lot of tiles cracking over the pier. Bad news for us - the really iffy spot is right in front of our pantry!

We are researching flooring options, and we're wondering about cork floors. I posted this question on the home decorating forum as well, but I'm wondering if any dog owners out there have cork floors in their home. I'm concerned about Tonka's toenails nicking them up (or sinking in if the cork is too spongy!).

What do you think? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Hiya!

I don't have personal experience with this, but my cousins had cork flooring in their previous home's kitchen -- and a beagle who spent a lot of time in said kitchen because, duh!, that's where the food is! -- and they had no problem at all.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but their experience was a positive one. And it's great on the back too, because of its give.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 AM

Well, that's encouraging!

Yes, beagles do have a way of hanging out in the kitchen - LOL. I think Tonka would be happiest if we could somehow move the bed and the couch in there as well.

If anyone else has any experience w/cork floors and dogs, please do share. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hiya!

I don't have personal experience with this, but my cousins had cork flooring in their previous home's kitchen -- and a beagle who spent a lot of time in said kitchen because, duh!, that's where the food is! -- and they had no problem at all.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but their experience was a positive one. And it's great on the back too, because of its give.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,735 times
1 month with my Blue Heeler and cork flooring in the master. No problems at all so far and don't foresee any on that front. I did have a rather heavy bookcase loaded up with half paperback and half hardcovers that started to dent the cork so I moved it to another room. The other option would be to put something under the contact points to increase the load area.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,402 times
We're about to install cork flooring in our main bath and are anxious to see if it holds up as well as we are expecting it to. Hoping it will, next will be the master bedroom and bathroom.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
I put cork plank (engineered click together) in the kitchen, and I have 2 dogs. After 2 years there are definitely some scratches in the cork where the dogs come charging in to kitchen from outside, but nothing too bad. The rest of the main floor is tile, but I didn't want tile in the kitchen, where I do a lot of cooking and baking an hence standing and the occasional dropping of dishes. It helps that the pattern I chose is a sort of random set of squares without a clear pattern.

And, btw, at the other door you can see where the dog toenails have scratched the grout between the tiles. I keep their toenails clipped, but they are both muscular, active dogs who like to run.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,761 times
I have cork flooring and 3 dogs. Thus far (2 years) I am very happy with the product...it still looks great. My concern with using it in a kitchen would be the chance of potential moisture damage (if say your dishwasher leaked). The only other downside is my dogs tend to slide around on it quite a bit but not nearly as bad as they do on the Pergo.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 AM

Thanks to all for your input!

SoHoVe - good point about the moisture. That is definitely on our list of questions to ask when we get more serious about this project. I don't want to have to worry about mold or anything like that if the dishwasher or the fridge leaks.

A few weekends ago, we were in a local tile store and we were asking the owner about cork floors. Now I know she was just trying to persuade us to buy tile from her, but she did say one thing that caught my attention - in her opinion, she feels that cork floors are "low end" and "not classy". But I'm thinking that if the installation is done well, cork floors can be very attractive. What do you all think about her comment?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post

SoHoVe - good point about the moisture. That is definitely on our list of questions to ask when we get more serious about this project. I don't want to have to worry about mold or anything like that if the dishwasher or the fridge leaks.

A few weekends ago, we were in a local tile store and we were asking the owner about cork floors. Now I know she was just trying to persuade us to buy tile from her, but she did say one thing that caught my attention - in her opinion, she feels that cork floors are "low end" and "not classy". But I'm thinking that if the installation is done well, cork floors can be very attractive. What do you all think about her comment?
I disagree. I think cork floors are very attractive. And they're comfortable when you spend a lot of time standing on them too, so there's another plus. Style is so subjective -- if you like the look of the cork flooring, get it and enjoy it!

Old 08-07-2009, 02:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post

yeah, that was just bias on her part. Cork tends to go in upscale and green renovations and new homes. Also, if you priced it, it isn't even remotely "low end."

Are you looking at engineered planks or glue-down tiles? The color and pattern selection in tiles is much better, but the planks are much easier to put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs