Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,921 times

Advertisements

Kibble takes a lot longer to digest than raw. When you mix the two, the raw can't digest in the time it should (around 2 hours) and stays in the system a lot longer with the kibble, causing intestinal upset. If you feed raw in the morning and kibble hours later, you will be fine. That's how we started!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM

369 posts, read 2,165,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Kibble takes a lot longer to digest than raw. When you mix the two, the raw can't digest in the time it should (around 2 hours) and stays in the system a lot longer with the kibble, causing intestinal upset. If you feed raw in the morning and kibble hours later, you will be fine. That's how we started!

I'm thinking about going cold turkey for the 2nd time in a week to the stella and chewy's.. My dog just have another bout of explosive diarrea. It's been a long week putting up with this! (you may have seen my other post about switching from pro plan to wellness)

I've never seen crap fly out of a dog with such velocity.. it's actually impressive.. LOL..

I just feel bad... What do I got to lose if I do make yet another switch? He's already got the worst imagineable diarrea. It sucks, I just don't know what to do

Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 AM

We made the switch cold turkey to raw, since it's really not feasible to mix raw and kibble, and our dog did very well. He had no diarrhea, and actually enjoys his food now. Now, we have an English Bulldog puppy, and they are known to have sensitive stomachs. He reacted very negatively to Orijen but did well on raw, so you might have the same luck!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
We made the switch cold turkey to raw, since it's really not feasible to mix raw and kibble, and our dog did very well. He had no diarrhea, and actually enjoys his food now. Now, we have an English Bulldog puppy, and they are known to have sensitive stomachs. He reacted very negatively to Orijen but did well on raw, so you might have the same luck!

I gave radar 3 thawed patties this morning.. he gobbled them right up... he's been sniffing around the house all morning as if he's trying to find more...

How do you thaw these things? i read on the website to put them in the fridge 24 hours before feeding.. I did that and they were still icey.. I left them on the counter for about an hour this morning then fed him.. They thawed real quick, but I'm not sure if I should steer away from the directions like that!

Thanks for all your help man.. I cant wait to see what the next few days bring!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:15 PM

I put them in a tupperware container and put them in the fridge for 24 hours. They're always defrosted by the next day. If they're a little icy, you can still feed it to your dog. Many raw enthusiaists feed their dogs almost frozen food, just barely defrosted, but I prefer it defrosted.

And you're welcome. BTW, I'm a woman, not a man. :-)

Old 06-25-2009, 06:26 PM

ughhhh, now he wont eat it... dinner time.. he wont eat meat.. unreal

Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,345 times
WHen I fed raw my issue was not time at all; it was storage space/freezer for the meat since I would have to buy in bulk. I am not sure about feeding kibble/raw combos unless the kibble is something like honest kitchen.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:05 AM

178 posts, read 574,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I'm thinking about going cold turkey for the 2nd time in a week to the stella and chewy's.. My dog just have another bout of explosive diarrea. It's been a long week putting up with this! (you may have seen my other post about switching from pro plan to wellness)

I've never seen crap fly out of a dog with such velocity.. it's actually impressive.. LOL..

I just feel bad... What do I got to lose if I do make yet another switch? He's already got the worst imagineable diarrea. It sucks, I just don't know what to do
Bench Warmer -- If you haven't taken him already, a trip to the vet may be in order. Explosive diarrhea x 1 week plus loss of appetite may be something more than just a switch of food. If nothing else, he may be severely dehydrated at this point.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I put them in a tupperware container and put them in the fridge for 24 hours. They're always defrosted by the next day. If they're a little icy, you can still feed it to your dog. Many raw enthusiaists feed their dogs almost frozen food, just barely defrosted, but I prefer it defrosted.

And you're welcome. BTW, I'm a woman, not a man. :-)

My BAD!!

Hey we are on day 4 of the raw food I think.. He eats it! He loves it! The diarrea has stopped.. but now he seems constapated.. He only drops a pellet or 2 a day...

Is this common when you first start feeding raw?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,719 times
He will definitely eliminate less than when on kibble, but what size is the "pellet"? Pellet makes me think a small little ball... about the size of a jingle bell on a cat's collar. How big is your dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs