Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:57 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,349,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post

This really works and does not harm the dog. Causes the dogs nose to be pulled down as one would see a mother dog does to keep her pups in line. Highly recommend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:00 PM

593 posts, read 2,895,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Causes the dogs nose to be pulled down as one would see a mother dog does to keep her pups in line. Highly recommend!
Translation: It punishes the dog for not being trained to walk on leash.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:11 PM

314 posts, read 1,105,670 times
Mearth, have a coke and a smile, and just chill out. You aren't a dog, either- or a Vet. If you don't like the collars, don't use them. Others are not bad people for choosing to do so.

Truth is, we have dog people on here, and we have "fur-baby" people on here.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
We're 'trying out' a dog for a couple of days ( lab mix) who seems gentle and intelligent. Unfortunately he has not been walked regularly and is not good on a leash. Since we eventually want our kids to take part in his walking, please recommend a leash ( there's many on the market ) to stop him from pulling!! Also how do you get the dog to stay by your side while walking, instead of pulling ahead?
thanks in advance, you all always come thru!
dont use a harness. i got a large strong dog on which i use a harness so she does not slip the leash to go for a run on her own. she yanks my arm off if she see me using 1 arm, technique to get me to drop it.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:49 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,478,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Mearth, have a coke and a smile, and just chill out. You aren't a dog, either- or a Vet. If you don't like the collars, don't use them. Others are not bad people for choosing to do so.

Truth is, we have dog people on here, and we have "fur-baby" people on here.
I am not a "fur-baby" person. I use stern discipline, and work with a trainer. I do NOT believe in physical punishment when a dog does something that it doesn't know any better NOT to do. That's what positive training is for.

I may not be a vet, but the invectives against these collars come from
- My Veterinarian
- The Director of my local Animal Control
- My APDT & CPDT certified Trainer
- Victoria Stillwell of Animal Planet.

You would have to be learning impaired to ignore the lot of them.

There are PLENTY of other options. If you're too lazy or impatient to learn about them, you don't deserve a dog.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,324 times
So I'm not only learning impaired, but I'm lazy and don't deserve my dog. And your an expert because..... How dare you judge me on what I choose to use in training my dog. I do believe in positive training. By the way I'm still waiting for those links on the dangers of prong collars.

Last edited by dogpaw; 07-05-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
So I'm not only learning impaired, but I'm lazy and don't deserve my dog. And your an expert because..... How dare you judge me on what I choose to use in training my dog. I do believe in positive training. By the way I'm still waiting for those links on the dangers of prong collars.
Yes, you must be learning impaired, to not take the advice of 4 experts in multiple fields. I'm sure they haven't done their homework at all .

Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,324 times
What makes them experts? Because you say so. I'm still waiting for that link to the dangers to using a prong.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
If all it takes is a light touch, then a light touch with a harness should work just as well.

First, you're not a dog. You don't know what it feels like for a dog. Second, I quoted a medical fact, you're quoting... what, a biased study group of one?

Choke collars and prong collars do proven damage. I will never use one, and shame on anyone who does.
Well, pat yourself on the back and proclaim yourself a superior dog owner. If it didn't hurt me with no fur, it won't hurt a 75lb dog with a neck made of pure muscle. In fact, a flat collar on a dog that pulls does a LOT more damage than a prong collar. The prong collar is a training device intended to be transitioned to true loose lead walking. A flat collar crushes the larynx on a dog that pulls whereas the prong collar pinches. It is a medical fact.

I have spoken to trainers that recommend prong collars and I've spoken to ones that don't. I've spoken to vets that recommend prong collars and vets that don't. You have to use them properly if you are going to use them, that is the consistent message I've been told.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Well, pat yourself on the back and proclaim yourself a superior dog owner. If it didn't hurt me with no fur, it won't hurt a 75lb dog with a neck made of pure muscle.
The amount of muscle they have has nothing to do with skin sensitivity, and all the muscle in the world won't protect you if it isn't flexed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
In fact, a flat collar on a dog that pulls does a LOT more damage than a prong collar. The prong collar is a training device intended to be transitioned to true loose lead walking. A flat collar crushes the larynx on a dog that pulls whereas the prong collar pinches. It is a medical fact.
I believe that. However, that doesn't matter if you use a harness that gently cues the dog, rather than punishes her. And with that, and professional training, my dog hardly ever pulls.

I recently broke my foot, and three of my male friends with no experience with my dog have been taking turns walking her. When each of them came back from their first walk with her, they said, "She is SO well behaved!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs