Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
My dog would probably only have expensive taste...Like when a tenderloin is marinading...lol
Funny you should say that. When I was in college we had a multi-denominational cook-off every superbowl. One of the participants was a pork ribs ace. He had very carefully prepped them, let them soak under a rub overnight in the fridge and set them out on the counter to let them come to room temperature before going on the grill.

I was in the kitchen fussing over some chili when I heard the rib ace say "Hey, did you put the ribs back in the fridge? They need to warm up!"

Me: "Nope. Didn't touch 'em."

Ace: "Some dipsh** is in trouble."

He opens the fridge, does not see the ribs. Scratches his head and looks out the window.

Ace: "NO!! YOU STUPID SUNNAVU____!!"

He goes running out the back door (which was open to air out the kitchen). I hastened to the window just in time to see a very energetic game of keep-away between Ace and the resident black lab, who was carrying a rack of half-gnawed and exquisitely seasoned pork ribs. They still went on the grill that way. A little dirty and hairy over one half for my taste, but the undisturbed ones were great.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure where you would start getting the dog to open and close the fridge on command, but teaching it to do a simple fetch and hold shouldn't be too difficult. It just takes patience and a lot of repetition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 22,484 times
My friend taught his Lab to do this, but the 'soft mouth' was not to be, and the dog had to be untrained... And even now, my friend is rewarded for mowing with a punctured beer!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I already started the training for my GSD. Goal is to have everything complete by the superbowl!

Going for:
1) Open the fridge via hanging towel
2) Grab beer
3) Close fridge
4) Bring to me

I've only put 20mins into training so far. I could even get her to open her month. Once I did she'd just drop it. Up to a solid 7 seconds of her holding the can in her month, lol.
so... how about an update?? how's she doin'??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno's mom View Post
My friend taught his Lab to do this, but the 'soft mouth' was not to be, and the dog had to be untrained... And even now, my friend is rewarded for mowing with a punctured beer!
LOL.... what a visual ..... the dog, oh so proud of himself........ beer leaking all over the place......

Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
She's prego so I took a break from the training

Old 09-11-2009, 04:30 PM

212 posts, read 699,882 times
Pregnant women never get beers for guys.Even if they lok like a portable keg.(ducks behind whats available)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs