Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
Perhaps you could start your own thread on this instead of hijacking the current one. This thread was not started so people could tell YOU what they are going to do to try to banish dog fighting.

How many times are you going to post the same thing over and over again? We get it, you think you are a good, caring person and MV deserves another chance. Good for you, give yourself a self-congratulatory pat on the back, then get over yourself. Start your own thread instead of hijacking Blondie's.
it's not hijacking sweetie it'as all related to Vick and dog fighting but I'm not at all suprised by your response
How many times is Blondie and several others going to post the same thing over & over again.

I'm just curious once all the dust has settled what people are doing to banish this....you know brain storm on how to bring the issue front & center and get some real laws on the books against it....

We can disagree on Vick but I'm sure we all feel the same about dog fighting

So why don't you get over your self as it seems you have nothing of substance to bring to the table

How many are aware that Vick also had rooster fighting ( sorry can't use the actual word on the forum) anybody give a rats behind about the poor roosters

Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
Your right we should be taking more action in our states to give harsher penalties to these disgusting criminals! California has a pathetic punishment for dog fighting criminals!
Really? That suprises me I would have thought California would have had tough laws on this. I'm of the thinking the states in the deep south have the laxest laws

Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 AM

150 posts, read 981,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
it's not hijacking sweetie it'as all related to Vick and dog fighting but I'm not at all suprised by your response
How many times is Blondie and several others going to post the same thing over & over again.

I'm just curious once all the dust has settled what people are doing to banish this....you know brain storm on how to bring the issue front & center and get some real laws on the books against it....

We can disagree on Vick but I'm sure we all feel the same about dog fighting

So why don't you get over your self as it seems you have nothing of substance to bring to the table
When you post something demanding people tell YOU what they are going to do about dogfighting, that's hijacking, cupcake.

I don't care about your opinion, and I am secure enough with mine that I don't feel the need to go on and on and on, and accumulate 5000+ posts while arguing. Since I really didn't intend to hijack the thread either, I'll leave it at that.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
When you post something demanding people tell YOU what they are going to do about dogfighting, that's hijacking, cupcake.

I don't care about your opinion, and I am secure enough with mine that I don't feel the need to go on and on and on, and accumulate 5000+ posts while arguing. Since I really didn't intend to hijack the thread either, I'll leave it at that.
Whatever

Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
Your right we should be taking more action in our states to give harsher penalties to these disgusting criminals! California has a pathetic punishment for dog fighting criminals!

the proposal in NJ:

Cohen plans to introduce state legislation to toughen dog fighting penalties in New Jersey, including making engaging in any portion of animal fighting punishable by up to 10 years in jail and $150,000 in fines. Current law imposes up to five years in jail and $15,000 in fines.

Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew said the allegations highlight the need for New Jersey to redo animal cruelty laws. Van Drew has long proposed overhauling such laws, including requiring 20 years in prison and $200,000 in fines for the worst animal cruelty cases.

"The Michael Vick debacle is shining a stark light on the underground network of animal cruelty that many would like to think does not exist in New Jersey," said Van Drew, (D-Cape May). "We can no longer pretend dogfighting doesn't happen in our state

Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Default An NFL Fan

Celebrities continued to be held above the laws of this nation.

As a celebrity in the US you are the spotlight role model for adults as well as children.

You are allowed certain allowances with their personalities. This should not be so, all should be accountable to the law of the land. It is the American Publics fault for continuing to allow this to happen.

The fans of Vick on the field can completely ignore his actions due their desire to see him play and assist their fantasy football pools. This is true for Vick as well as OJ, Paris and Pereez,.

Yes, he has served his time and he has paid his financial dues.

However, he has also betrayed trust to his team, his family , the fans and the sport and lastly another loyal American icon. The dog.

IMHO the Dog cruelty issue took spot light. However, it was not the only crime he participated in. He has bankrolled the gambling on dogfights . He was an admitted “professional” dog fighter., he participated in interstate gambling and funding of dog fights. All of which were felonies. Not to mention the prostitution and illegal transport of drugs and alcohol. All of which took the back seat to the cruelty he inflicted on the “non performing” dogs.

As a convicted felon, you lose your right to vote, the right to bear arms, ability to get a US passport, Depending on the state, you lose even more rights.

but

In our egocentric society he most likely be able to play again as people wish to see him play. As clearly indicated by the Yes arguments.

People want to see him play. It is not about him being denied access to the sport. He committed a FELONY.

Anyone who is not a celebrity or Vick, would still be in prison. Additionally, should that reformed lay person be released, he/she will never see a decent job. A felony appears on your record for life. McDonalds or a Walmart greeter is the best you could hope for.

No salary job will hire a felon due to the back ground check.

He could have baby dog veins in his teeth, but as long as the brain dead American public want to see this man, he will be back on the field.

How quickly people say its only a dog that died, when they want to see him play.

Should those people first hand witness or participate in a dog fight with their beloved pet, I am sure that their perception would change.

How quickly sheep are willing to forgive a felony to see a man play a sport.

Thank you.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:44 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
I can't rep you again Blondie but

Old 07-30-2009, 03:07 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Ok, going to make this short, because I don't have to justify myself or my feelings to you or anyone else here. Don't you DARE preach to me about what sort of example I am to kids. I do NOT beat and kill animals, or anything else. Mr. Vick is a sports figure, which children look up to. I do happen to be a vegetarian, and cringe at the thought of what animals go through on farms etc.

I happen to volunteer ALOT. I help find new home furnishings for victims of fire at my local American Red Cross. I cook and serve dinner on Thanksgiving and Christmas at my local homeless shelter, and donate money the rest of the year. I donate money to the Humane Society and other animal organizations. I have sent dozens of care packages and many letters to our troops that are deployed in the war. I could go on, but again I don't have to justify what kind of person I am to anyone here.

My main point is NO, I do not buy that Vick is remorseful at all for what he did. He tortured dogs by drowning them, beating them, slamming against the wall and other horrible things, NOT just DOG FIGHTING. He is a piece of scum and deserves to suffer the consequences. That's my opinion, and I am going to stand by it and express it as I choose to.
YOU took this personal. I am not preaching to you. I just expressed my views and opinions. You do not agree, fine. You do not buy him being remorseful, maybe you are right. I do not know as I stated. If you made up your mind, great. I also spend a lot of time volunteering in the community and I know what you are talking about. Did I ask you to justify yourself to me? No, and also I am glad you keep standing and expressing your views as you choose and you choose. There is nothing wrong with feeling emotional about issues, I do. I am a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) on behalf of neglected and abused children, among many other volunteer causes as you do. I do feel it is important for everybody to get involved in the community. I also agree he needed to pay for the consequences but how far do you want to go? The way you reacted in a personal way with my message I am not sure I agree with you when you loose objectivity and let your emotions to the point that you read too much into what was written. You replied in a personal way as if I was talking to you. Was my message addressed as a reply to YOU? No.

Now compare your reply to replies 34 and 35. They disagreed and had some good points to consider and I am glad they did.

However, I thank you for you community envolvement. I am a Soldier and have served for the last 31 years. I know how it feels to receive those act of appreciations from those in the home front. It is a big morale booster. On behalf of my Soldiers I do thank you from the bottom of my heart.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Default Forum posts

He is a FELON convicted of a hideous crime. He should not be allowed to play any pro sport ever again. Is he a role model? NO! O.K. He did his time but that doesn’t mean he should get his old life back. Ask any convicted felon and they will tell you there are lifelong consequences to your conviction. It always affects your employment. Nobody wants a convicted felon, well except maybe the NFL.

There’s a news story going around right now about a firefighter that was convicted of killing his dogs so he didn’t have to board them while he went on vacation. He lost his job. Why should Vick be given special treatment? He’s a convicted felon, who in the real world hires convicted felons? I think McDonalds has higher standards then that. Vick isn’t special, why should he be given the privilege to play sports? Do sexual offenders serve their time and then get to do what they want? No, they’re labeled for life. It should be the same of any other criminal. Maybe the NFL should be a little more strict on who they let play the game. If someone is convicted of a felony, maybe they should be allowed to play anymore…just like in the real world. There are repercussions for every other criminal out there.

It is not a question about forgiveness. Many people do not understand that having a job as a professional athlete is an honor and should be held up to high standards. There are not many who make it to be a great athlete like M. Vick. These athletes are examples for our children to look up to. This would give our children the wrong message that it is okay to commit a crime and serve your time and then you can have your job back. No problem right? I don’t think so. He should never be allowed to play pro-football again. M. Vick had a choice and he chose to do something that landed him in jail. He threw his career away all by himself. He should not get a second chance at a great career when he had it in his hands and chose to throw it away. Maybe if he was not allowed to play football this might be an example for all athletes to think before you choose to do something illegal.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
don't recall doing that (though I do recall being attack on that one thread. DO YOU want to go there?) Already did, Mister. Anyone can go and read what you said to me and to others in the thread who posted things you disagreed with, most of them personal attacks.
Quote:
perhaps you should adjust your own attitude instead of digging up stuff that don't pertain to this issue at hand, hmm? Blah blah, practice what you preach.
Quote:
if you want to be petty and do so, go right ahead, I have better things to do than trade barbs w/ some folks on here Oh really. Yet you keep posting here.
Quote:
(though I suppose if it makes you feel better to do so and right irate letter to the NFL, go for it. I don't care; I'll focus my energy on other matters) Sir, you have NO IDEA what I said in my email to the NFL, OR the tone in which I wrote them. Again, making assumptions to try to put someone down that disagrees with you.
Quote:
AGAIN, enough w/ the attacks! I believe it's you who got into this thread making nasty comments about animal lovers and people who feel very strongly about Vick getting reinstated to the NFL. I suggest you place me on ignore if you don't like what I have to say. Let's just agree to disagree so that we don't waste so much of your time and energy.
Now back to the important conversation and back on topic : Blondie, thanks for posting the numbers to call. As I had stated in a response to another poster, I have received a reply from the NFL, but will definitely contact any team or company that plans on hiring him for anything. If he gets reinstated, then so be it. At least I did what I felt was right, which be a voice on behalf of animals that are abused. That's all we can do.

Last edited by mainegirl; 07-30-2009 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs