Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,384 times

Advertisements

LID has wet too so maybe that is an option. I would bet if you mix it up though he'll stay interested. And rubber_factory is right... put it down and he'll eventually get hungry enough to eat it.

I went through meal training with Harper before the diet change and had him solid on it. Going to have to redo it once we figure out his new dietary requirements. I would put the meal down at a fixed time each morning and evening (or close to it anyway) and only leave it down for half an hour. What didn't get eaten (often a full bowl) got chucked and it was his loss. He soon figured out that he wouldn't be pampered and started wolfing it down when I put it down. I also make him sit and maintain while I prepare the food and put it down then release him to eat. Well I did anyway until we decided he must have allergies now we are working out what he can and can't eat so I've relaxed it a lot.

The other upside of fixed meal times is it regulates his potty breaks pretty efficiently making it easier to plan walks and the like.

To each their own of course and your mileage may vary... blah, blah, blah. Do it however you feel is best for your dog just realize that if he thinks he can walk all over you he will, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:31 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
I always think my dogs get tired of there food too although I am in the process of switching it.
I sometimes add some warm, low sodium chichen broth to it. Occasionally some boiled chicken or some cooked ground round and also some brown rice once in a while. Not too often as they may not ever eat their food plain again. Once every other week I add something different too it but not in huge amounts either.
My one dog has a very sensative stomach so I will actually mix plain vanilla yogurt in hers once or twice a week. Looks and sounds gross but she likes it!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ
BTW, what IS a chub???

LOL...the only Chub I know is a fish....Google it....you'll be amazed what comes up!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Do it however you feel is best for your dog just realize that if he thinks he can walk all over you he will, lol.
That's where you're wrong -- he KNOWS he can walk all over me!

Just kidding (well, not really)... but I'll try to be stronger with him, I really will. I appreciate your advice.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Not your problem. You provided the food, let the dog figure out the rest.
I agree. This is taking pampering to extremes. I do not cater to my dog's tastes. My dogs eat what I buy them.

Also, switching their food, or substantially changing their diet, will cause digestion problems. So, for all those who regularly switch their dog's food to keep them from becoming "bored", you are making your dog's life miserable. They are not human beings, and it is a serious mistake to treat them like human beings. Get a clue people!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Also, switching their food, or substantially changing their diet, will cause digestion problems.
Not necessarily, if done carefully. There is quite a bit of discussion recently that switching your dog between a few different foods (planned, gradually) can be a good thing.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 PM

Of course...I never do a drastic change. I gradually change between the 2 or 3 foods I use. He never seems to have "issues" with it...and I have a few foods to fall back on, it there should ever be a recall on one of them.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 PM

Oh sorry a chub is a meat bag... kind of like how deli meat comes or hamburger. Also, sausage and salami are commonly found like that. Natural Balance has them for most of their product flavors. It is an awesome high value treat for training. You dice up some and use it for treating or I dice it fine and throw it into his dish sometimes to keep things interesting.

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Dog Food Rolls (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/DFRolls.html - broken link)

Oh and speaking of searching on that term... it might not be a good idea to google that with safe search off, heh. Just a guess.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Oh sorry a chub is a meat bag... kind of like how deli meat comes or hamburger. Also, sausage and salami are commonly found like that. Natural Balance has them for most of their product flavors. It is an awesome high value treat for training. You dice up some and use it for treating or I dice it fine and throw it into his dish sometimes to keep things interesting.

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Dog Food Rolls (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/DFRolls.html - broken link)

Oh and speaking of searching on that term... it might not be a good idea to google that with safe search off, heh. Just a guess.
LOLNOW he tells me!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That's where you're wrong -- he KNOWS he can walk all over me!

Just kidding (well, not really)... but I'll try to be stronger with him, I really will. I appreciate your advice.

Kind of off topic... well not really but anyway... I had a hard time with this early on as Harper is my first "all on my own" dog. I pampered him and babies him then started obedience school and did some other things to address some of his issues (he was a stray before I rescued him) and we eventually got to the point where I was leader. He fell into the role of follower and things started clicking. I honestly think he is happier now. So many things naturally resolved themselves as the obedience changed and roles reversed and he seems to much more relaxed and happy.

Not saying that is the case with you, as always I just try to present my experiences and let people decide for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs