Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:10 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

No person should have to endure the continual barking from dogs. It is up to you to keep your dogs within the bounds of the local laws. In most cases nuisance barking is determined by a dog/dogs barking for more than ten minutes in a one hour period. Find out what your local laws are and abide by them.
An item I found that works is a outdoor bark control sold at Wmart for about $50 and looks like a bird house. It emits a high frequency sound that dogs don't like when they bark and only when they bark. It is perfectly humane. If you have a large yard you may need more than one unit.
I love my dog but I refuse to allow him to behave badly and offend my neighbors or even strangers.
People have the right to peaceful enjoyment of their premises. Dogs are just along for the ride so they must behave. If you think you need protection get an alarm system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,001 times
Sorry about the cranky neighbor. Two thoughts. I don't know if this has been suggested, but if the dogs can see the open space behind your house can you put some sorty of solid covering over the fencing so they can't. And also, if your other neighbors have no issue with your dogs, get them to sign letters to that fact and present that to the authorities. Our animal control has said if only one person is complaining they will not likely do anything. They need more complaints to verify the situation. Hope it works out for you and bravo for fostering the homeless dogs!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,475 times
Well, I can definitely sympathize with you. I have two dogs, both females, one is a German Shepherd and the other is a Dalmatian. I had used to leave them both outside during the day and they would play together a lot and only bark when someone came by on the street. The German Shepherd started to jump the fence and be out in the front when I came home, so I started putting her inside in the kennel (I only have one kennel) and leave the Dalmatian out during the day while I was at work. Well, I got home one day and my neighbor (who just recently rented a house across the street) walks up to me and introduces himself and says that my dog barks all day long. Well, she barks because she wants to come in, but she will tear up my house if I keep her in and the German Shepherd cannot be out of the kennel either. I didn't think it was much of a problem if a dog barks during the day and I even called the sheriff's department to find out if there was any law against that (there isn't). I am really mad at my dog and my neighbor (why isn't he and his wife at work during the day????) I know I am being a tad unfair, but really, I lived in this neighborhood, bought my house, five years ago and never had but one complaint and that was because I had left my other dogs (two males that are dead now from old age) bark a little too late (it was after 9:30PM), I fixed that situation right away. Anyway, I cannot help but be mad at the unfairness of the situation. What is wrong with a dog barking during the day???? I know it can be annoying, but it is during the day. Well, now I have to go spend some money to buy either a kennel, the Dog Silencer Pro, or get some of her vocal chords taken out or get rid of her (she is my daughter's dog). All of these things I have to do to appease a neighbor who just moved into a rental (I own my house). Makes me want to really move to a secluded area where the nearest neighbor is five miles away (but I do love my home and I was planning on retiring here) and why should I move out of my house?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Liberty View Post
Well, I can definitely sympathize with you. I have two dogs, both females, one is a German Shepherd and the other is a Dalmatian. I had used to leave them both outside during the day and they would play together a lot and only bark when someone came by on the street. The German Shepherd started to jump the fence and be out in the front when I came home, so I started putting her inside in the kennel (I only have one kennel) and leave the Dalmatian out during the day while I was at work. Well, I got home one day and my neighbor (who just recently rented a house across the street) walks up to me and introduces himself and says that my dog barks all day long. Well, she barks because she wants to come in, but she will tear up my house if I keep her in and the German Shepherd cannot be out of the kennel either. I didn't think it was much of a problem if a dog barks during the day and I even called the sheriff's department to find out if there was any law against that (there isn't). I am really mad at my dog and my neighbor (why isn't he and his wife at work during the day????) I know I am being a tad unfair, but really, I lived in this neighborhood, bought my house, five years ago and never had but one complaint and that was because I had left my other dogs (two males that are dead now from old age) bark a little too late (it was after 9:30PM), I fixed that situation right away. Anyway, I cannot help but be mad at the unfairness of the situation. What is wrong with a dog barking during the day???? I know it can be annoying, but it is during the day. Well, now I have to go spend some money to buy either a kennel, the Dog Silencer Pro, or get some of her vocal chords taken out or get rid of her (she is my daughter's dog). All of these things I have to do to appease a neighbor who just moved into a rental (I own my house). Makes me want to really move to a secluded area where the nearest neighbor is five miles away (but I do love my home and I was planning on retiring here) and why should I move out of my house?

What is wrong with dogs barking during the day, all day? Stay home one day and find out. And why they are home during the day is not your concern. What if they work the night shift and your day is their night? Many people don't work the regular daytime shift. My husband works from home, where he is on the phone 75% of the day with clients. When the neighbors' dogs are barking, it can be heard in our place and it is very distracting to him and his clients.

And dogs should never be in a yard unattended, especially when you're not home. There is just so much that could go wrong. The dog can get into something and be poisoned, someone can poison the dog because it's annoying (been happening a lot lately), a wild animal can get in and injure your dog, kids use a BB gun to shoot the dog for fun, you get the point. It doesn't matter that your neighbors are renting, they have the same rights as you do. No one wants to move next to someone that has a dog that barks all day. I have crappy neighbors that makes noise all day and night and know exactly what yours are going through. Most cities have codes in place that state if a dog is barking for 15 or more minutes continuously, it is a violation of the noise code. For your poor neighbor's sake, I hope that's the case as well.

Sorry for coming off as so snarky, but you come off as someone who feels entitled because you own the house and should be able to do what you want because of that. Such is not the case. Have some respect for your neighbors, you never know when you'll need them.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 AM

289 posts, read 311,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
What is wrong with dogs barking during the day, all day? Stay home one day and find out. And why they are home during the day is not your concern. What if they work the night shift and your day is their night? Many people don't work the regular daytime shift. My husband works from home, where he is on the phone 75% of the day with clients. When the neighbors' dogs are barking, it can be heard in our place and it is very distracting to him and his clients.
Have to 2nd this. My wife rotates to a new shift each week (1st, 2nd, 3rd, repeat) with non-standard days off. We just got new neighbors a few months ago, and they have a large black dog that barks a lot, especially when they are not at home. I can't think of any reason why we (well, her especially) shouldn't be upset if/when the dog wakes her up or keeps her from getting to sleep in a timely manner.

I would think, surely, that someone with the handle "I_Love_Liberty" would be mindful that part of "liberty" means not encroaching on the rights of others.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:54 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
Have you tried WALKING THE DOGS? I know this sounds weird, but exercise and plenty of it, will calm dogs down. Dogs need exercise (with you) and socialization and familiarization with their surroundings. Walk the dogs, seriously it will help. A lot of anxiety stems from lack of exercise and socialization.
Agreed!

Maybe the neighbor is a crank but I imagine living next to a pack of barking dogs does not improve his disposition.

Take the high road and be a courteous neighbor, walk your vocal dogs often rather than letting them run around outside and stir up the pack. When my dog barks at squirrels and such, I immediately bring her in. It's the right thing to do.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Listen look around this neighbors house and see if you can file as many complaints against them as you can see how they like being reported and then maybe when the neighbor gets a taste of their own medicine they will stop !! If that does not work hopefully you will sell your house soon and get out of there .

Old 03-19-2010, 10:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
this thread was started nearly 3 years ago and the op said in one of her later posts that they were preparing to move..... so i'm sure her issue has been resolved.....

in any case, she did NOT let her dogs out for hours on end.... they were out a few times a day for 15-20 minutes at a time...... i suspect that the neighbor was one of those crabby old men with WAY too much time on his hands.....

re: privacy fence..... sure, their view may be blocked, but they can still hear and smell activity on the other side.... not being able to see may make barking even worse......

all that said..... i am not defending endlessly barking dogs..... that is indicative of a larger issue..... like the dog not getting enough attention from his owner...... mine will bark at squirrels and other critters they see in the woods on the other side of the fence, but if it lasts more than a minute or so, it is not tolerated and they are brought in...... my next door neighbors to the west are both night-shift workers and i sure don't want my dogs disturbing their rest.....

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
nuisance barking is NOT ok

Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
this thread was started nearly 3 years ago and the op said in one of her later posts that they were preparing to move..... so i'm sure her issue has been resolved.....
I'm pretty sure everyone is responding to I_Love_Liberty, who posted a new issue yesterday, not to the OP. She/he should have started a new post, but didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs