Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

I was curious what are the smartest breed of dogs of dogs.

I know certain dogs have certain skills but what breeds are almost human like.

For instance shetland sheltie is very sensitive to emotion of humans very trainable lively and dainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
I think youre going to get 100 different answers here simply because everybody tends to pick the breed they think is smartest.

I vote the Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Old 05-01-2007, 10:33 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
My husband said ... men!

As for me I couldn't pick any particular breed because they all have different traits just like people. Some have brains, but no commonsense and vice versa.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
I think they all are! We had a terrier mix (ok mutt) that inadvertantly learned which toy was which. She had 20 different stuffed squeaky toys (she loved them and never ripped them up!) which we kept in a basket for her. If you asked her to go get one (pig, burger, shark, etc.) she'd bring the correct one back! We thought she was pretty smart.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
According to this site http://petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html , it backs in in saying that Border Collies are the smartest breed

Old 05-01-2007, 11:55 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I owned a border collie when growing up. I agree. That dog could learn tricks very easily. Scary smart. But watch out, if you don't keep them busy they get neurotic. And I don't think this dog ever slept.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:16 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
A lot depends on how you define "smart". Some dogs (like herders) think for themselves. This means if they don't respect YOUR intelligence, they may be hard to train. Who wants to work for a dummy? On the other hand, some breeds are eager to please humans and will do anything you ask, without question. While they may be more easy to train, does this make them smarter? I personally believe the most intelligent dogs are herders, who can work by themselves with very little human intervention. They also teach themselves new things, and learn from observation. My Australian Cattle Dog mix first got out of the backyard by digging under the chain link. So we staked it down. Then, after watching me, she started opening the gates. So we wired them shut. Then she started climbing over the fence. We began to suspect this is why she was a Pound Puppy. Now she wears an electronic collar. It warns her when she gets too close to the buried wire, and she stays in. Until the battery wears out. If she doesn't hear the warning beep, she's GONE! Too smart, if you ask me...I was told a long time ago that ACD's will judge you as a sheep or a shepherd. If you are the first, they will run all over you. If you are a shepherd, they will follow you anywhere.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
My husband said ... men!

As for me I couldn't pick any particular breed because they all have different traits just like people. Some have brains, but no commonsense and vice versa.
OK - JUST FOR FUN:

Why dogs are better than women...
Author unknown

///<~>\\\<~>///<~>\\\<~>///<~>\\\<~>///<~>\\\<~>///

Dogs don't cry

Dogs love it when your friends come over

Dogs don't care if you use their shampoo

Dogs think you sing great

A dog's time in the bathroom is confined to a quick drink

Dogs don't expect you to call when you're running late. The later you are, the more excited dogs are to see you

Dogs will forgive you for playing with other dogs

Dogs don't notice if you call them another dog's name

Dogs are excited by rough play

Dogs don't mind if you give their offspring away

Dogs can appreciate excessive body hair

Anyone can get a good looking dog

If a dog is gorgeous, other dogs don't hate it

Dogs don't shop

Dogs like it when you leave lots of things on the floor

Dogs never need to examine the relationship

A dog's parents never visit

Dogs love long car trips

Dogs understand that instincts are better than asking for directions

When a dog gets old and snaps at you incessantly, you can shoot it

Dogs like beer

Dogs don't hate their bodies

Dogs never criticize

Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across

Dogs never expect gifts

Dogs don't worry about germs

Dogs don't want to know about every other dog you've had

Dogs don't let magazine articles guide their lives

You never have to wait for a dog, they're ready to go 24 hours a day

Dogs have no use for flowers, cards or jewelry

Dogs don't borrow your shirts

Dogs never want foot rubs

Dogs enjoy heavy petting in public

Dogs find you amusing when you're drunk

Dogs can't talk

Dogs seldom outlive you

Old 05-01-2007, 07:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I think some breeds do have a little higher intelligence. But I've always though a lot of it had to do with how much time I spent with the dog and how willing I was to teach him. Time and patience in training can make a world of difference.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
I have found Boston Terriers to be human-like to the point of spooky. They are very people oriented and seem to take on the personality of their owners.
They are little clowns and love to socialize and play.

Border collies are very smart as well.

We had a collie/shepard mix years ago. He thought he was one of the kids and was extremely protective of our children when they were little. He actually did the "Lassie, go get Mom" routine several times when they needed help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs