Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:21 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times

Advertisements

I just thought of another thing in not getting property owners p.o.'d. A lot of dogs will kick on the ground after peeing or pooping, as a secondary scent mark. It's amazing how one swift kick can send the sod flying. The instant a dog finishes its business, give a quick tug on the leash, as a reminder that we're moving on now, no digging into the ground.
And btw, ReturningWest, your yard has me so jealous I can't stand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:34 PM

455 posts, read 1,239,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Glad I don't have this problem...my "front yard" If you look very carefully on the right side of the photo you will see a sliver of grey and that is the road that runs in front of my property. This pano shot shows only a portion of my front yard.

Wow if my dog had a choice of so many trees he would fall over, not knowing which leg to lift up.

However as it is obviously private property he wouldn't get the chance.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
One of my dogs is a major leg-lifter. He wants to pee on anything sticking up more than 2" from the ground. Usually, that ends up being the weeds in my neighbor's yard. We call it "Rusty's Weed Killer."

Honestly, I don't know how to stop a dog from peeing when you walk him, a male dog anyhow.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:07 PM

455 posts, read 1,239,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One of my dogs is a major leg-lifter. He wants to pee on anything sticking up more than 2" from the ground. Usually, that ends up being the weeds in my neighbor's yard. We call it "Rusty's Weed Killer."

Honestly, I don't know how to stop a dog from peeing when you walk him, a male dog anyhow.
Simple, you can't, I walk my dog on the opposite side to unfenced gardens, most public paths in the UK have a grass verge to the roadside, there are plenty of trees, lamp post etc for him to lift his leg.

This is Zac having a wee up against a privet hedge, Duke can't believe it

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0140.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	78312

Old 04-10-2011, 03:52 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
Simple, you can't, I walk my dog on the opposite side to unfenced gardens, most public paths in the UK have a grass verge to the roadside, there are plenty of trees, lamp post etc for him to lift his leg.
In my neighborhood, by the time we get to a part that's not someone's yard, we've already passed 30 houses...and Rusty's peed on at least 20 of their yards. I keep him on a leash and on the sidewalk, but our sidewalks have the street on one side, with lots of cars parked in it. I'm sure Rusty would be happy to pee on the car tires, but to me that seems worse than the edge of someone's yard.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:14 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I just thought of another thing in not getting property owners p.o.'d. A lot of dogs will kick on the ground after peeing or pooping, as a secondary scent mark. It's amazing how one swift kick can send the sod flying. The instant a dog finishes its business, give a quick tug on the leash, as a reminder that we're moving on now, no digging into the ground.
And btw, ReturningWest, your yard has me so jealous I can't stand it.
Front yard, back yard and house for sale So it could be yours

And yup the kicking up of dirt/grass could be anoying...Gator will do it on very rare occasions...I don't know if girls do it too, I've never seen one do it?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:23 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:

And yup the kicking up of dirt/grass could be anoying...Gator will do it on very rare occasions...I don't know if girls do it too, I've never seen one do it?
One of my girls does, very vigorously. I used to have a girl who'd try to lift her leg too! Both of them are pretty dominant.
For sale, huh? Hmmm....don't tempt me! We just moved last summer, and I swore I was never doing that again. Not this soon anyhow, but that sure does look peaceful.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Quote:

Yep, Miss Bella does it. Not everytime but she can diffinetly kick up some grass. LOL I'm in the boonies so it's really not an issue for us. We usually walk in the woods or down recreational roads so it's not a problem.

Do i care if a dog poops in my yard, YES I do. I always clean up after Bella. Do I care if a dog pees in my yard, no not an issue for me.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:05 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
One of my girls does, very vigorously. I used to have a girl who'd try to lift her leg too! Both of them are pretty dominant.
For sale, huh? Hmmm....don't tempt me! We just moved last summer, and I swore I was never doing that again. Not this soon anyhow, but that sure does look peaceful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Yep, Miss Bella does it. Not everytime but she can diffinetly kick up some grass. LOL I'm in the boonies so it's really not an issue for us. We usually walk in the woods or down recreational roads so it's not a problem.

Do i care if a dog poops in my yard, YES I do. I always clean up after Bella. Do I care if a dog pees in my yard, no not an issue for me.
bailey does it too......

Old 04-10-2011, 06:52 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
Dont' get me started!! Our seasonal neighbor's dog comes up and ***** his leg and pees on everything he can on my property! I want a veggie garden this year and I will be some ticked the first time I see him urinate on one of my tomato plants. Why should I be forced into putting a fence up to keep out the neighbor's dog? Leash law? I have a yellow lab and she knows the drill...she has her spot and we keep him home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs