Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times

Advertisements

I like the absolutely ridiculously ugly mixes. Like the Jack Russel/pit bull I saw at the humane society the other day. Tiny head! So cute!

My rescue is a Shiba/Husky mix, and I'm really surprised they haven't marketed that yet. She's absolutely gorgeous, and we get comments on her all the time.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:49 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
by the way, i do agree that the op's post is a little presumptuous - just because a dog is a "designer breed" doesn't mean it wasn't a rescue. but if someone buys or intends to buy one of those dogs from a breeder or pet store, they should be educated about what that means.
I'm in complete agreement. The rescue that my wife worked for in LA predominanty had Pits and difficult-to-adopt dogs, but they've also had quite a few puggles and labradoodles over the past few years. The thing people need to realize is that shelters and rescues get their dogs from many sources. These sources include the morons who thought a dog was an accessory to an outfit and couldn't take time out of their day to care for it. The dog that was once in someone's purse may now be in a shelter waiting for a real home.

I bet many of us have similar adoption stories where we didn't end up with the dog we envisioned. A little over three years ago my wife decided she would start volunteering at a rescue. She came home with a pitbull the very first day. Not exactly what I planned, but decided to keep her (kept the dog too). Even though she's been a handful at times, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0454.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	50370

Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
So, you think that the only way you could find a Basset Hound and Corgi mix is by paying thousands for a so-called "designer" breed?
i'm pretty sure kek was joking about his/her mutt being a "designer breed".

i agree with the rest of your post though!

and thanks everyone for the compliments, i will pass them on to sadie!

oh and people on here have actually suggested that she might be a labradoodle. it's possible! that's just one of many plausible guesses i've heard about her breed mix.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Another designer dog being bred and lessening the chances of a shelter dog being adopted. I am sick of all this breeding going on. Don't people realize there are nice dogs sitting in shelters in dire need of homes? Too many greedy, stupid people! Sickening!
I am always attracted to a dog that may not be the prettiest and one that may be labeled unadoptable. So untrue! I learned from rescue that people are too quick to judge without knowing all the facts.
Inner beauty is more important to me!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i'm pretty sure kek was joking about his/her mutt being a "designer breed".

i agree with the rest of your post though!

and thanks everyone for the compliments, i will pass them on to sadie!

oh and people on here have actually suggested that she might be a labradoodle. it's possible! that's just one of many plausible guesses i've heard about her breed mix.
Thanks! I was joking. Sam was as "Hienz 57" as you could get. And you could not have found a better dog anywherre. Some dogs touch your life in a special way, Sam was his own breed.

What was interesting about the litter of pups from Sam's Mom, is that some looked like beagles, some more like a bassett hound, some more like a shepard. They all looked like they came from a different litter. Every puppy was completely different from the other one.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Most mutts aren't 50/50, but I think if people want a dog that is primariy some breed, then there's surely one on petfinder. Hey, the other day someone actually asked me if my Artie was a cattle dog! It's the first time anyone actually thought petfinder (or his sheltre) came close!
The only positive I can think of with this breeding and selling of mutts is that they are less likely to have the inbred problems of bad breeding (backyard, puppy mill) because they are only 50 percent one type or the other.
It's still ridiculous, though. I guess I think it's a shame to have breeding at all unless you really want to use the dog for its bred use (hunting, herding, etc.). I wish there were only a handful of very good breeders for these dogs and then everyone else adopt a mutt that is in their range.
I am currently thinking of expanding my range to a terrier mix. I am drawn to cattle dog/herding dog mixes, although have had two great German Shepherd mutts and the undefinable Artie. Oh, and the blue-eyed brindle little girl- aussie mutt?
I think I'll find my co-worker who buys the occasional breed on the internet and tell him off. It won't be the first time.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:32 PM

There was a great little book out called "Mutts," and it included a story about a guy with a Black Lab and a neighbor with a basset. I forget who did what to who (suspect the Lab jumped the fence) but there was a photo of these amazingly shiny little black... bassets.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
every once in a while you see a lab/bassett mix that just looks like a lab with stubby little legs. it's very cute/weird.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 PM

I used to see what I thought was a black lab puppy, but the owner said the dog was full grown and was a black lab/daschund. No, I don't know how it happened.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
So does that mean my pug/schnauzer mix is a shpug and my lab/blue heeler/rottie mix is a blue lottie? lol People crack me up with their fancy new breed dogs.
Wouldn't that actually be a Schnug?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs