Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times

Advertisements

fwiw .... i am doing a home check this morning for a breed specific rescue and the questionaire i am to fill out does not seem to be overly zealous or picky......

as with anything in life, i think that requirements cross the spectrum from WAY lax to WAY picky.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM

48,159 posts, read 22,022,438 times
The animals in shelters are so vulnerable....I am glad that the organizations try to do a home study to assure that they find a "forever home" that is suitable to the needs of the dogs. The shelters are filled with abandoned and "throw away" dogs because the people who were supposed to take care of them...weren't able to fulfill their responsibility to adequately care for that specific dog....didnt anticipate the dog would grow.....needed a fenced yard....was a barker who would disturb the neighbors in the apartment below..required exercise..did or didnt get along with children...etc etc etc.

There is no reason to resent or refuse a home visit or to provide references.....it will make the transition easier for everyone. It is supposed to be about the animal....it isnt always about you.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The animals in shelters are so vulnerable....I am glad that the organizations try to do a home study to assure that they find a "forever home" that is suitable to the needs of the dogs. The shelters are filled with abandoned and "throw away" dogs because the people who were supposed to take care of them...weren't able to fulfill their responsibility to adequately care for that specific dog....didnt anticipate the dog would grow.....needed a fenced yard....was a barker who would disturb the neighbors in the apartment below..required exercise..did or didnt get along with children...etc etc etc.

There is no reason to resent or refuse a home visit or to provide references.....it will make the transition easier for everyone. It is supposed to be about the animal....it isnt always about you.

very well said and so so so true!!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Oh,,,,our adoption fee was $200 plus the transport fee.... I think that was $125 not sure I remember.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:

Reps to you. Very excellent and well said post that truly gets to the heart of pet adoption. Thank you.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:

I've never adopted a dog from a shelter nor, obviously, had a home visit, but this makes perfect sense.

And further to that, if they didn't think that my home was suitable to the dog -- no matter how much I'd fallen in love with him/her -- I'd have to believe that they were right.

I think when you fall for a dog, you fall hook, line, and sinker... and maybe don't see what might not be a good fit. And then... what happens then?

I think it's good for a multitude of reasons, and not simply to "prove yourself" as a fit parent, but to hear their reasoning of why (or why not) this may not work well.

I think that a responsible adopter would (actually, SHOULD, not would) welcome the home visit and welcome the information that comes with it, for better or for worse.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 PM

I am feeling guilty that by responding to some of the comments about the adoption process (home visits and references) I took the thread off the topic of costs to adopt....I was responding to previous posts....but not to the OP. We probably should stay with the OP.
Mea Culpa.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,274,691 times
Last rescue was around 175.00. We gave them 200.00. They needed the money.
Anything for the dogs that need to be rescued.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 PM

511 posts, read 2,200,495 times
For Riley I think it was $150 and I offered them $200 & paid right then over the phone so that they would hold her for me (she was in the next state; I still had had to fill out all of the paperwork before she was "officially" mine, and I sent the shelter tons of photos of our house, yard & all the doggie supplies we had gone out & purchased). I found her on petfinder.com, she was about two months old. I know it's a bit odd to jump at adopting a pup without first meeting the canine face to face... but the moment I saw the listing for her, after sifting through so many other listings looking for potentials, I knew that she was THE one, not a question in my mind... just an instant gut feeling...

Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,709,784 times
We spent $200 for our mutt and it was well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs