Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:36 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,264,480 times

Advertisements

Animals are like people and what works for some doesn't always work for others.
California Natural is what eventually worked for our Dog.
Still had occasional bouts of upset tummy just like people do, some Plain and unspiced cubed poached or baked chicken breasts and rice or potato for a few days helped, plus she loved it. Hope you find what works best, there are so many options these days it can be confusing, a lot of trial and error and patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,517 times
my female dog had 3 puppies and stopped lactation now 50 days old puppies
she had diarrhea and i gave metronidazole but she had seizers few days latter i gave high dose calcuim and i gave antiseptics for about 10 days plus fluids plenty and motinorm and smecta all nessesary minerals lost by diarreah
but every 10-12 days she had seizers now she had 3 in 50 days and the vet took blood sample o examine sugar and calcuim level and oxygen level too and he says he may have a liver biopsy too
wen i stopp medication the diarrhea returns again and i really dont know what to do ????

Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,404,766 times
This happens to our dog, we are now feeding a no-grain food (taste of the wild) and no "snacks" except for apple pieces and rawhide to chew on. (the occasional dropped from the kitchen counter food!). Very rarely a little tiny bit of burger grease on the food.

Also, I noticed it may be when she gets into something outside in the grass, other animal poops: goose, etc. I do know that rabbit poop will make them really sick. We do have her regularly screened for parasites as well.

Also if she gets the diarrhea, I feed a probiotic powder on her food for 2-3 days, it clears right up. A lot cheaper than the vet.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:37 PM

455 posts, read 1,243,525 times
When my lad gets the runs it tends to be his diet.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,447 times
My daughter rescued a daschund that the vet said is probably 10 years old. We have no history on her. We have had her for a year and a half. She used to get diahrrea occassionaly but now she gets it about every other week. It starts out soft then becomes bloddy water. The vet said a low fat diet, still got the runs, then said it could be allergies so gave a low ingredient sensitive stomach food, still diahrrea. Now I guess I will switch to a grain free. I have spend just under a thousand dollars since getting this dog and can not spend any more and am tired of getting up all during the night in the frezzing cold and snow to take her out to the bathroom. She also has a bad coat, looks like she has dandruff and she gets skin irritations and ear infections. The people giving her up said it was because they were moving but I think it is because they are tired of her issues and the vet bill which is almost where I am ready to give her back even though I don't want to because I feel sorry for her and know it isn't her fault but I have hit my limit in every way. What can I do?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:41 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,097,922 times
Sounds like she has a food allergy. What food is she currently eating? Some dogs can't eat chicken, for some it's beef or lamb. There are foods out there that have a single source protein like Wellness duck and rice that may be an option for her. I would keep a food diary for her to see if there is a trigger pattern, maybe it's a specific treat, a bite of cheese, a piece of ham, something is making her ill.

Since her diarrhea is happening often you might try giving her a tablespoon of canned pumpkin, not pie mix, just pure pumpkin with her food a couple times a day.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,592,231 times
It's usually a matter of: 1) diet or 2) illness.

Diet could be food intolerance, allergic reactions, frequent dietary changes.

Illness could be worms, infections, food or medication sensitivities or a bunch of other stuff which your vet can scope out on examination.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,404,766 times
Try putting him on a protiobic for dogs.
Also, your doggie may be eating poops of some other animal, my dog gets diarrhea regularly after getting into rabbit feces. yum
Also try a grain free food.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 16,374 times
You may just want to also change their diet. Make sure you use great quality food products

You need to make sure they have no grain in their diet.

Probiotic will help their digestive tract to assimilate better their vitamins and process food.

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/CUTEODYSSEY/240343263245[/url]

Old 06-11-2014, 01:49 PM

513 posts, read 803,297 times
When I got my dog she was having recurring diarrhea. I tried different foods and such and nothing really worked. The vet gave her some antibiotics and I fed her homemade chicken and rice for two weeks. The vet also gave me some Science Diet and I slowly switched from the home made chicken and rice, to that. Then when that ran out I switched her to Royal Canin Giant Junior. So far so good. I had tried giving her the "top" brand foods that everyone raves about but it didn't help and made things worse.

I'd try giving home made food for a little bit and see how the dog does with that. If it gets better then you can slowly start to add back dog food and see how they are tolerating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs