Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:55 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times

Advertisements

I'm sure Ferra picked up on your dislike for the woman. And maybe she was just protecting her territory if as you said your neighbor stepped on your patio.

I have a shar pei and he wouldn't hurt a fly until they walk uninvited into his house. Then, watch out.

She is likely doing what she's supposed to do- guarding her home.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:01 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
I agree 100%
I have a german shepherd and a mix, and, we didn't have a yard. But leashes work very well....
The thing is, my husband was attacked 3 times already (all pits) running lose, while we were walking our dogs on the leash. Well, my husband walks with a gun now, because he won't put up getting attacked ever again. Whoever let's their dog run around (period), especially knowing they are "questionable in their behavior", and attack again...well, if it is my husband they are attacking, they will end up with a bullet between the eyes!!!!!
So, the animal has to end up dead, because owners failed....
I do agree, that they need to be evaluated, rather sooner then later...they CAN BE WEAPONS!!!!

Its a sad day when someone has to be affraid to go out and walk their dogs on a leash...frankly its only a matter of time before I get a license to carry and god forbid your dog comes after me...click and it will never happen again...The laws in Florida state that if I am in fear for me life and there is no other way to protect myself then I have the right to use lethal force on a HUMAN...I don't think anyone will care much if an aggressive dog is shot...

I am not against a certain breed, I myself have met some very nice Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Pit Bulls, whatever you want to call them...but people must keep their dogs, all dogs on a leash or in a fenced in backyard...its just that simple.
All kinds of dogs can be a menace, not just one type. I do believe however that NO ONE should have a dog they can't control through sheer force AND commands on a leash...

Old 05-21-2007, 03:14 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashee8705 View Post
thanks for trying but my husband is a dog trainer and has been working with ferra for 2 years. she has never shown any aggression to anyone else besides this women. and i don't have the money to pay some over priced trainer to tall me the same things my husband can.(he btw does have a great rep.)
I don't get it, your husband is a dog trainer so why are you asking us? He is a professional, he should know what to do.
I also don't get your over defensive responses. Something troubling about it. Did he just bark and growl at the women and other dogs? That can be (or should be) solved with training, but if he really was intent on attacking then you should be concerned because three things will happen - he will end up hurting a human (maybe a child), your dog will be destroyed, you will be in jail.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:27 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,849 times
Your thread title is shocking. You do have to admit that pit bulls and rotties do raise a red flag. Do you have a muzzle for your dog? If not you better get one and have him wear it every time he goes out. If the dog does attack your neighbor I hope he reads this forum to use your admittance in court. Since you know your dog is prone to viciousness it is up to you to keep us safe from your dog. You never know when someone else is going to smell bad to your dog.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
It sounds like she is being overprotective of you and actually to her, that is her job. Sometimes dogs just don't like something about a person or another animal. I don't know that there is anything that you can do, but I would ask your vet asap if you have not done so already. If you can, get her on a regular schedule of going out maybe at a time others are not out. Good luck to you. This is difficult and heartbreaking.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Frankly if all the dog did was bark at this woman when she stepped on her owners property then I don't see that what the dog did was so horrible...

Maybe she picked up on her owners dislike maybe dogs can really tell when someone is a bad person...

I would just make sure there were signs to beware of dog and make sure the dog is never unleashed, frankly people are so stupid I wouldn't leave her in the backyard unattended...

In my opinion if someone jumps the fence and goes in your backyard, its their fault if they get hurt but not everyone sees it that way.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:33 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Just a final thought - please, regardless of the situation, do not take your dog to a shelter. Chances are she would be euthanized almost immediately, but there might be that certain window of opportunity that someone could adopt her unless your town has breed banning - and right now you don't know WHAT set her off - a new owner could be in a potentially dangerous situation as well.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
In my opinion if someone jumps the fence and goes in your backyard, its their fault if they get hurt but not everyone sees it that way.
I think the issue here is the dog showing signs of being overly aggressive. I agree with the "too bad for you trespasser" and a normal dog, but what happens with this dog when it gets a taste of human blood? Being a pit bull and the dog showing abnormal signs of aggression, as stated by the poster, it will trigger more extreme behavior. The next attack could be fatal. What if a child relative comes to the neighbors house and steps foot on her property? The child has the same smell as the neighbor that the dog wants to attack....

I have a husky who is far up on the dangerous dog list. When we bought him we knew this and for 12 years now (Happy Birthday Kairo baby! ) have been 100% responsible for making the right decisions with his behavior.

One more thought to the poster....I had a friend who had a rottie who was borderline aggressive. He wore a muzzle any time someone was over or even came to the door. That is a take charge owner.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
I think the issue here is the dog showing signs of being overly aggressive. I agree with the "too bad for you trespasser" and a normal dog, but what happens with this dog when it gets a taste of human blood? Being a pit bull and the dog showing abnormal signs of aggression, as stated by the poster, it will trigger more extreme behavior. The next attack could be fatal. What if a child relative comes to the neighbors house and steps foot on her property? The child has the same smell as the neighbor that the dog wants to attack....

I have a husky who is far up on the dangerous dog list. When we bought him we knew this and for 12 years now (Happy Birthday Kairo baby! ) have been 100% responsible for making the right decisions with his behavior.

One more thought to the poster....I had a friend who had a rottie who was borderline aggressive. He wore a muzzle any time someone was over or even came to the door. That is a take charge owner.
I agree, and it backes up my opinion and advice, to take charge. Not only with proper precautions on the premises, but also to have him a bit "re-programmed" and find out, what's up with him/ her.
My german shepherd is going to the trainers soon too.......... because he is TOO FRIENDLY...huh....

Old 05-21-2007, 06:16 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
Good advice above.

I also agree that Lisa made a good point above. If all this was a bark, what's the problem and panic all about?

The problem with this whole thread is that the OP's story has changed in every single post.

Subject: My dog almost attacked someone!
Post One: Almost attacked the neighbor
Next post: My dog only growled!
Next post: Well, the dog barked when the neighbor stepped on my patio (do condos have patios?)

I am not trying to be argumentative at all; but I am saying that many pit bull owners get defensive about the breed FIRST and taking care of a serious problem comes secondary to making excuses, downplaying situations, etc.

We don't even know what happened, really. Therefore I totally agree with the prev. posters that the dog should be muzzled, evaluated, and (as I said) secured/locked in a safe environment at all times. Or, keep being defensive and downplaying incidents and risk other people and animals in your neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs