Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:38 AM

1 posts, read 11,463 times

Advertisements

Well my friend gave me his dog because it was either that or The humane society. I had the dog for 4 days and already i am in love with it and it is in love with me. The thing is when he gave me the dog it was attacked by another dog. It was bitten on its left leg. My dog is a pit-bull and its only 6 months. The wound is about 1 inch deep, and 4 inches wide. Im guessing. I dont really have any money do to the fact i just got laid off so i cant bring it to the vet. Ive been trying to keep the wound clean but to be honest i don't know if its getting better. Ive used Herbal tea to spray it because a vet told me it kills bacteria and i used hydrogen peroxide and of course i gave it a nice warm bath several times. I have no idea what to do and i am worried can some one please help me, give me advise and please don't say the vet.

[url]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo348/SuSp3nSe_2008/Picture004.jpg[/url]
[url=http://s390.photobucket.com/albums/oo348/SuSp3nSe_2008/?action=view&current=Picture002-1.jpg]Picture002-1.jpg picture by SuSp3nSe_2008 - Photobucket[/url]

Here on some pics to get a better understanding.

Last edited by Keeper; 07-05-2010 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 06:52 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,579 times
I cant see the pics. Sounds like a pretty good gash. If you can't afford to take him to the vet then maybe you need to give him to someone that can. It's not really fair to the dog if he can't get proper care. And if that bite gets infected then it's really not going to be fun for the dog.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:57 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
On thing you must do is get the dog on antibiotics immediately. This will do more to help the dog than anything else. You could try contacting a rescue group for advise. See if there is a pitbull rescue group. Maybe someone will give you some antibiotics. Make sure you give your dog proper dosage. Clean the wound and I always spray them with painfree liquid bandage.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:01 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
- Terrierman's Daily Dose - (http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2004/08/fish-pharma.html - broken link)

Old 06-19-2010, 08:24 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
dont use hydrogen peroxide because that eats away tissue so please stop using that . go to a feed store and get some gauze and vet wrap and use neo sporin on it . But the best thing is the vet for anti biotics . I firmly believe that if people dont have the money for a vet they probably should not have the dog . I dont care what I have to do without I use the credit card for the vet no matter what because my dogs are my family members and I dont let family members go sick . this dog could die from infection . I hope it gets well .

Old 06-19-2010, 08:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Why did you wait until Saturday???

You still have time.

Talk to a vet about working off the bill.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
The problem with dog bites is you really do not know how deep a puncture from a tooth is so you could have an infection setting up down in the tissue. Did the dog that attacked have an owner with it? I do not know the circumstances of the bite but the other owner could be responsible.

I would check with the loacl human society and see if they would be willing to help witha quick vet check as some groups will go out of their way to help keep a dog with an owner as they themselves just have too many dogs. Or as some one else said a pitbull rescue might be willing to help.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,700 times
You need to keep it clean and open,do not bandage it.It is very important that you get antibiotics,most dog bites get infected.I agree with the other poster,antibiotics are the most important thing you need to do.If an infection sets in the vet will have to put a drainage tube(surgery!) in,that will cost you much more money than if you took him to the vet now.While you have a good heart and good intentions,if you cannot afford another pet then the humane society would be a better option.I am not trying to be rude at all,its just better for the dog.Theres got to be a low cost clinic close to you.Maybe you could call the vet and see if they will work out a payment plan(i know many vets do not offer that though) or see if they can recommend a low cost vet.Good luck.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:04 PM

268 posts, read 704,086 times
You cannot afford to wait ! You must seek medical attention from a vet now. The risk of abcess, or a serious infection, is great. It will be much more serious, and much more expensive, the longer you wait. Please dont wait.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times
that looks pretty bad, you most likely will need antibiotics, ask the humane society for help, sometimes they will help especially if you tell them what happened. what about the owner of the dog that bit him? i would tell him he needs to pay for this. also use neosporin, the vet told me to use it on my dog when his tail had a scratch on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs