Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
I would stay away from meats and fast food obviously. Anything like fries (which Buster loves) are probably not great for them
I understand the "no fast food or no fries" but I don't understand the "stay away from meats". I feed my dog turkey, chicken and venison--not in huge quantities, but a bit shredded up with his Wellness 5 step kibble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 PM

899 posts, read 2,943,145 times
Tomato's are on this list my cocker will not like being able to eat a tomato..this past summer he learned to pick them, the really red ripe ones at that and enjoyed it just like we do....
HUMMMMMMMMMM!! must be careful from now on....

Old 01-02-2010, 04:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times
Xylitol, which is found in sugarless gum (e.g., "Orbit") and candy is highly toxic to dogs. It can drop the dog's blood sugar to lethal levels in minutes and cause liver damage.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Chocolate is poison to dogs because of the theobromines in chocolate. Theobromines are a stimulant that affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle.

Different types of chocolate have different levels of theobromines dark chocolate and baking chocolate having the highest level, milk chocolate and white chocolate the least. Thus the toxicity depends on the type of chocolate and the size of a dog. Some dogs are also just more sensitive to it. But a large dog could perhaps eat some chocolate and not have any problems while the same amout of chocolate could kill a small dog so it is best to not give them chocolate.

That said Dash stole alot of chocolate during his life and never had any problem with it not even diarrhea! He was a master thief and if there was chocolate he found a way to steal it. He had a caste iron gut as things that should have made him sick never did.

I too have let the dogs lick an ice cream bowl that yes had chocolate as it is not dark chocolate and my dogs have always been 40+ lbs and never had a problem with it. I also do not flip out if some one drops an M&M on the floor and the dogs snag it. When I made the decision to put Dash down he and I drove to McDonalds after seeing the vet and discussing what was to come in a week or two. I got him a cheese burger and we shared fries and yes a chocolate shake as we sat looking at he Ocean. He was in heaven and he had no problems with any of it. He was not allowd junk food except what he stole so imagine how grand it was to have the things he had been denied handed to him, being that food was what life was all about to him!He was one happy boy that afternoon!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:48 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
I have also allowed my dogs to have leftovers, and before I heard that mushrooms were toxic they ate them and never suffered ill effects. I heard that with onions it depends on the dog - some are very sensitive to them and others not so much. I hadn't heard about grapes and raisins, but my current dog doesn't like fruit (and most vegetables) anyway. She'll take them in her mouth but then spit them out.

With chocolate, it depends on the amount and the size of the dog. I try not to allow my dog any chocolate, but my 3 year old granddaughter loves oreo cookies and if she drops one the dog will often scarf it up before I can get to it. The dog has never gotten sick or seemed off her game as a result, so I doubt that it's enough to worry about (then again, she weighs over 80 lbs).

Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Chocolate is poison to dogs because of the theobromines in chocolate. Theobromines are a stimulant that affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle.

Different types of chocolate have different levels of theobromines dark chocolate and baking chocolate having the highest level, milk chocolate and white chocolate the least. Thus the toxicity depends on the type of chocolate and the size of a dog. Some dogs are also just more sensitive to it. But a large dog could perhaps eat some chocolate and not have any problems while the same amout of chocolate could kill a small dog so it is best to not give them chocolate.

That said Dash stole alot of chocolate during his life and never had any problem with it not even diarrhea! He was a master thief and if there was chocolate he found a way to steal it. He had a caste iron gut as things that should have made him sick never did.

I too have let the dogs lick an ice cream bowl that yes had chocolate as it is not dark chocolate and my dogs have always been 40+ lbs and never had a problem with it. I also do not flip out if some one drops an M&M on the floor and the dogs snag it. When I made the decision to put Dash down he and I drove to McDonalds after seeing the vet and discussing what was to come in a week or two. I got him a cheese burger and we shared fries and yes a chocolate shake as we sat looking at he Ocean. He was in heaven and he had no problems with any of it. He was not allowd junk food except what he stole so imagine how grand it was to have the things he had been denied handed to him, being that food was what life was all about to him!He was one happy boy that afternoon!
I think it is the way they were raised. Mine have always had that stuff.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I understand the "no fast food or no fries" but I don't understand the "stay away from meats". I feed my dog turkey, chicken and venison--not in huge quantities, but a bit shredded up with his Wellness 5 step kibble.
Made mine fat lol

Turkey, chicken and venison are ok, but I was meaning the fatty hamburger meat, steak and steak fat.....I'd give Buster a little steak every now and then when I was eating it and it ended up bumping him up an extra 6lbs or so.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Chocolate is an absolute no - here's a great chart that shows the differences among kinds of chocolate (that ice cream may not have had much real chocolate?)

The Chocolate Chart Interactive - National Geographic Magazine

Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
A lot of dogs get sick from too much fat all at once [like turkey skin at thankgsiving] any time you flood them with a lot of fat all at once you are asking for trouble.

Corn is a problem only for a dog who is allergic to it. Corn cobs, however, can be deadly. Physical problems not chemical from eating them.

I have heard definitely grapes are indeed toxic but some dogs seem to tolerate them. Not worth the chance.

There are also a lot of poisonous plants ...... Poinsetta this time of year. Also cocoa mulch is very attractive and very toxic.

if dog food has tomato pomace you need to verify it does not include the stems but only the seeds and tomato skins.

Many human medicines such as tylenol and ibuprofen.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
I thought corn wasn't able to be digested by dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs