Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times

Advertisements

If price isn't an obstacle, I'd really consider going raw, or at least real, over kibble. I did a cost analysis and found that feeding a dog any of the raw diet recipes breaks out to be only 3 cents more expensive a day than the cheapest half-way decent kibble (like Beneful). That can be even less if you get the meat and veg on sale or in bulk and freeze it. The dog doesn't need to eat as much real food as kibble, and it has way less carbs for her to get fat on. Usually 3-6 oz twice a day is all they need unless they're really big or really active. It's better to add stuff like pumpkin and sweet potato to their food for fiber than grain any day (although some brown rice is usually ok).

If you have the space and zoning allows, you can drastically reduce the cost of dog food if you're willing to raise some chickens and rabbits to feed them. Rabbits breed like crazy and are the "perfect" food for your dog (wild canids eat rabbits all the time), and they're pretty easy to raise. Chickens aren't that hard either and you get the benefit of fresh wholesome eggs out of the bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times
I had my 2 pound toy poodle puppy(4mos old) on Wellness but read Innova for puppies is better so gradually switching her by mixing. She has extremely runny stools now. Has anyone experienced this? I do add warm water to the dry food because she won't eat much otherwise. When on just the wellness, things were not runny. Is it too rich or is it just an adjustment..She has now been on 1/3 wellness 2/3 innova for 2 weeks w/ runny stools.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times
another thing..is it a bad idea to soften the hard food w/ water?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Maybe there is something in the Innova that disagrees with your puppy. Regarding the water.. It is good to mix water with dry food because it helps reduce brown spots on grass.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,516 times
The best dog food is either a raw diet/homemade or stuff that doesnt do major Advertizing. Such as Orijen or Innova EVO.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:40 PM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
Dad had Maggie on Purina One which I looked up and has meat as the first ingredient, although she is now on Blue Buffalo and doing well.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I had my 2 pound toy poodle puppy(4mos old) on Wellness but read Innova for puppies is better so gradually switching her by mixing. She has extremely runny stools now. Has anyone experienced this? I do add warm water to the dry food because she won't eat much otherwise. When on just the wellness, things were not runny. Is it too rich or is it just an adjustment..She has now been on 1/3 wellness 2/3 innova for 2 weeks w/ runny stools.
It may take longer for her to adjust to the new food. If wellness was working why switch? My pup is on wellness and doing very well.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:41 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
It may take longer for her to adjust to the new food. If wellness was working why switch? My pup is on wellness and doing very well.
Really hard to beat Wellness and most pups to really well on it. Perfectly fine to add water...another way to get some water into the puppy and I think, enhances the flavors by making a gravy. I still wet down food for Dylan and he is 8 yrs old!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:02 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Really hard to beat Wellness and most pups to really well on it. Perfectly fine to add water...another way to get some water into the puppy and I think, enhances the flavors by making a gravy. I still wet down food for Dylan and he is 8 yrs old!
This is what I have Watson on....Wellness. He does well on it. I also wet it down and make a gravy for him. Sometimes I mix in a tablespoon or 2 of canned Wellness. He LOVES it.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Anyone know anything about Hill's E/D (I think it was E/D) prescription kibble? My vet wants me to feed Nanners this food, bought from him of course, due to her cholesterol level and weight. He's a new vet for me, so I'm not at a high level of trust with him just yet, although he treated her bad diarrhea/vomiting last week in an admirable and successful manner.

Since last Spring, I'm feeding her Avoderm (4 star rating at dogfoodanalysis.com) because of serious skin allergy issues and coat loss she developed in 2008. Switching to the Avoderm cleared that up 100% within a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs