Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,040 times

Advertisements

One of my dogs has a patch of dry skin on the top of his nose. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I was wondering if I should be doing anything for it? I did try putting a tiny dab of Neosporin on it, but couldn't stop him from licking it off. Anyone have advice for moisturizing his nose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
You might want to keep an eye on it and maybe vet check him. I had a Golden (Dylan's grandmother) who started out with a patch of dry skin on her nose, about the age of 8...and it turned out to be cancer. Don't mean to scare you, but at first look, that is exactly what I thought it was. Dry skin.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Oh my gosh, I never thought about that. I was thinking his skin was dry because of winter. I will be calling the vet first thing tomorrow. Thanks ShelbyGirl1.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Oh my gosh, I never thought about that. I was thinking his skin was dry because of winter. I will be calling the vet first thing tomorrow. Thanks ShelbyGirl1.
Like I said, I don't want to alarm you.
Sage's nose, in the very beginning looked like a small dry patch. I thought she scratched it outside or something. I cleaned it and did put some neosporin on it...but like yours, it was licked or rubbed off. Then, I noticed it got red and angry looking, almost raw, and I figured she scratched it again. At that time, I had 4 Goldens, so they were always rough housing, and Dylan was the baby who chewed on them all. It never would heal, which is when I got her to the vet. They lasered it and tested it and it came up cancerous. For the life of me, my mind is blank and can not remember what exactly they called it.

How old is the dog?

There is also something called "Collie Nose"
http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2111&aid=412

Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Bear has a dry nose, worse in winter. He get a little Bag Balm on it each night.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Like I said, I don't want to alarm you.
Sage's nose, in the very beginning looked like a small dry patch. I thought she scratched it outside or something. I cleaned it and did put some neosporin on it...but like yours, it was licked or rubbed off. Then, I noticed it got red and angry looking, almost raw, and I figured she scratched it again. At that time, I had 4 Goldens, so they were always rough housing, and Dylan was the baby who chewed on them all. It never would heal, which is when I got her to the vet. They lasered it and tested it and it came up cancerous. For the life of me, my mind is blank and can not remember what exactly they called it.

How old is the dog?

There is also something called "Collie Nose"
Collie Nose (Nasal Solar Dermatitis)

He is approximately 10. I don't feel like you alarmed me. It just never crossed my mind that it could be anything but dry skin, and it's definitely worth a vet visit to check it out. Last year I noticed a growth in his mouth, and was terrified it was cancer, but it was a harmless epulis. We had it removed when he had a dental cleaning. I feel like we should just have a standing weekly appointment with our vet

Luckily it doesn't look like "Collie Nose." Thanks for the link though. I hadn't heard of it before, but now will be on the lookout for it. As he ages his nose has lost some black pigment and has pale spots. He also stuck his nose through the fence a year or two ago to "yell" at another dog and scratched his nose, and it healed with less pigment.

Sorry you went through that with Sage

Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Bear has a dry nose, worse in winter. He get a little Bag Balm on it each night.
If the vet says it's nothing to worry about, I will definitely pick up Bag Balm. Does Bear lick it off, or does the taste dissuade him from licking it?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
If the vet says it's nothing to worry about, I will definitely pick up Bag Balm. Does Bear lick it off, or does the taste dissuade him from licking it?
It is just part of his "going to bed" routine. No licking.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Keeping fingers, toes, and paws crossed it is "nothing". Keep us posted!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 9,590 times
my dog has a dry round patch on her nose anyone know what this could be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs