Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,789 times

Advertisements

I posted a while back about Danny Boy, the dog we rescued from the shelter (he's my dad's dog; my dad & I adopted him when I was still living at home). My sister was donating her time to the shelter and she introduced me to Danny. He was 5-6mo when we brought him home, he & his litter mates had been chained up and badly beaten... only Danny & one other pup survived. Danny has had horrible seizures most of his life, the vet thinks it's a result of the head trauma he sustained as a puppy. A while back they became so bad my parents though he may have to be put down. My dad & the vet put him on two new meds (they've tried so many... these are the last left to try).

So far he's doing GREAT

No seizures since they switched his meds... I know they could come back in the future, but right now Danny's getting more high quality time to just be a happy dog He's only about 7-8 (can't remember the exact year we brought him home) so he could still have many years ahead of him & I just hate to see his life shortened by his medical problems. Any high quality time we can give him makes me very happy!! Thank you to everyone who has been keeping Danny in their thoughts. There's some photos of him below with my own dog, Riley.

Not so good news for Shiloh He's been going down hill these last few months and will probably have to make the trip to Rainbow bridge within the next month, two months tops. When I stopped by my parents house a few days ago, Shiloh fell flat over I gently helped him to his paws and supported him for a moment, he then pulled away & trotted after a tennis ball & started playfully pawing at it. He's still so full of zest, poor guy, his body just can't keep up. He's 15, and he's lived a very happy life. He's never wanted for anything. So, it's nice to be able to take comfort in that... he's always had a full belly, a super soft bed, all the toys & bones he could ask for, and of course lots of love. There's a photo of him too, taken in 2001.

Danny Boy

Danny Boy & Riley... Riley is so different with Danny. With all other dogs, she greets them stiffly, sniffing butts, sometimes hackles up slightly, and then she quickly looses all interest & just wants to play ball. With Danny, whom she has only briefly met 4-5 times (including today), she seems so thrilled to see him! She whimpers like a baby, lowers herself to the ground, wags like crazy, licks his face/mouth, and rolls on her back. It looks just like the way a submissive wolf greets the alpha. She's met plenty of other dog, and never, not once, has she ever displayed this behavior with any other dog.

And good old Shiloh. Here he is looking dignified with one of his bones in 2001. And also a snapshot from his youth. He used to help me with my paper route when I was a kid. What a ham. He always loved to have a job to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Glad to hear about Danny Boy.. I remember when you posted about the problem and someone posted a link to that song.

It sounds like Shiloh's had a wonderful life. Love his grey beard!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Beautiful dogs... all of them. Kisses to the three of them.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
Glad to hear Danny is doing good on the new meds! I'm sorry to hear about Shiloh. He's a beauty to look at, as are Danny and Riley!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Great news about DannyBoy; I'm sorry to hear about Shiloh, but given his age, it isn't too surprising. In fact, I am actually surprised to hear that he is 15 and still kicking around! You've obviously taken great care of him (beautiful pics!) and given him a loving home that has resulted in a long and happy life. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:08 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I am glad to hear that Danny Boy is doing well on his meds. and I hope he continues to do so for a long long time.

It sounds like Shiloh has had a great life. Keep in mind you never know how much life Shiloh has left as I have a friend with a 17 yr old Golden. For the past two years she has been saying I think Stellar's time is up. Stellar has bad days where her owner thinks OK it is time and has even called the vet to make an appointment only to have Stellar rally and have a bunch of good days. I don't think Old Stellar is ready to call it quites yet as last time I saw her she was at the park and was walking all over the park checking thing out.

You are right that what ever happens you can take comfort in the great life the dogs have had and all the great memories they have given you.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:13 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Beautiful, happy dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs