Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM

553 posts, read 1,634,292 times

Advertisements

You know, it really depends. It's still pretty cool (but not really cold) in many areas of the country, so I am assuming the dog was not going to suffer adverse affects from exposure.

If you see a pet locked in a car when it's really hot or really cold, or the animal is in distress, err on the side of caution and call the appropriate authorities, but to me, the event you described doesn't seem like a big deal.

We used to take our dog everywhere with us when the weather allowed, and he was perfectly happy to sit in the car for an hour or more. In fact, getting him out when we returned home was a challenge. The only reason we don't take him much anymore is because now we have two dogs, and they can't be trusted in the car alone.

Most dogs love to ride in the car. I doubt the dog feels anger at being confined in a car. If a dog doesn't want to ride in a car, you will usually know, because they will pant uncontrollably, throw up, shake, etc. Sounds like the dog you saw was very excited to be out and about.

I don't really get the dog being an "entertainment slave" thing, because my dogs think I exist to serve them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 05:08 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,457,218 times
When I gave the two hour time frame, I guess I should have said, it's a half hour drive each way. lol I live in small town America where it gets cold. When it's hot, they didn't get to go. They stayed in the kennel in the cellar with a fan blowing air. But they were always angry at me when I got home for not taking them. Once Brownie passed, Sandy had to go everywhere with me as he was a train wreck.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:35 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
When Katie goes with me in summer she has Ice in her bowl & it sits in front of a battery operated fan! According to my camera Video she sleeps unless some one come near the van. Then she barks & wines for attention...same as she does no matter when or where she meets another person LOL Crazy Corgi!!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:59 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,948 times
I take my dog with me and leave him in the car. I also use common sense and my knowledge of my dog and what his limits are. Today it was about 52 degrees and there was a slight breeze, so it was perfectly comfortable for him. I own a station wagon and the far back is his. There's a grill to keep him back there -- and therefore to keep the dog hair back there -- and I can roll the windows of the car down for good ventilation and still keep him contained.

I keep a water bowl in a storage copartment in the back, and he gets plenty of chilled, fresh water to drink.

On a day like today, I would have no qualms about leaving him in the car alone for an hour. If it were, say, 80 degrees, my limit would probably be 20 minutes. Above 90, and he's not going to be left in the car.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,458,537 times
I believe in the freedom of animals, they need to roam free.

A responsible dog owner does not allow a dog to roam free. "Roaming free" results in a dog's being hit by automobiles, attacked by other dogs roaming free, harassing cats that are roaming free, having unprotected sex with other dogs roaming free, scaring (and worse) children and adults and many other problems.

Although I have a large fenced-in backyard, I take my dogs to fenced-in schoolyards (some larger than football fields) to run their legs off regularly. But they never roam free.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,543,317 times
In Texas, especially in Dallas county the cops will do NOTHING for a dog left in a car. I had Buster with me once, ran into the gas station with the car still running so I could leave the A/C on because it was hot, and he managed to hit the driver side door lock which locked ALL of the doors in my car. I called the cops and they said unless its a child we won't do anything, and even if it is a child all we'll do is break your window. WTF? I was lucky enough to be around the corner from work and my boss came over to help and some very nice guys were able to get a coat hanger through the window and hit the power window button to roll it down enough to let me unlock the door.

Buster now does not go with me in the car anywhere but to the vet, and an occasional trip to the drive thru. He has severe separation anxiety and when he sees me leave and he can't go with me he freaks out, stands on my seat at the window barking his little heart out. He's more comfortable at home in his crate or behind the baby gate in the kitchen. My other dog Bella loves the car, sits contently in the back seat or passenger seat and quietly waits for me to run into the coffee shop or gas station. Sometimes she'll make her way over to my seat, but she never barks and the window is always rolled down enough for her to get air but prevent her from jumping out or someones hand getting into the car to unlock it.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:49 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,447,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I believe in the freedom of animals, they need to roam free.

A responsible dog owner does not allow a dog to roam free. "Roaming free" results in a dog's being hit by automobiles, attacked by other dogs roaming free, harassing cats that are roaming free, having unprotected sex with other dogs roaming free, scaring (and worse) children and adults and many other problems.

Although I have a large fenced-in backyard, I take my dogs to fenced-in schoolyards (some larger than football fields) to run their legs off regularly. But they never roam free.

Amen!!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,274,510 times
My dog also love to go in the car and run errands with me. She gets to people watch and is a good girl. Its more interesting than staying at home alone. If its too warm,of course she wouldnt go with me,but that rarely happens where we live.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
In the winter I also like to take my dogs with me while I'm running errands. Like everyone else here, I use common sense. If its cloudy & cool I don't see any problem with it. They enjoy the ride & I enjoy the company. In warm weather or or at any temperture if its a bright sunny day - the fur babies stay home!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,028,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
In Texas, especially in Dallas county the cops will do NOTHING for a dog left in a car. I had Buster with me once, ran into the gas station with the car still running so I could leave the A/C on because it was hot, and he managed to hit the driver side door lock which locked ALL of the doors in my car. I called the cops and they said unless its a child we won't do anything, and even if it is a child all we'll do is break your window. WTF? I was lucky enough to be around the corner from work and my boss came over to help and some very nice guys were able to get a coat hanger through the window and hit the power window button to roll it down enough to let me unlock the door.

Buster now does not go with me in the car anywhere but to the vet, and an occasional trip to the drive thru. He has severe separation anxiety and when he sees me leave and he can't go with me he freaks out, stands on my seat at the window barking his little heart out. He's more comfortable at home in his crate or behind the baby gate in the kitchen. My other dog Bella loves the car, sits contently in the back seat or passenger seat and quietly waits for me to run into the coffee shop or gas station. Sometimes she'll make her way over to my seat, but she never barks and the window is always rolled down enough for her to get air but prevent her from jumping out or someones hand getting into the car to unlock it.
My dogs locked me out once (car was running). When I stopped panicking I remembered I had an extra key in my purse, now I never go anywhere without 1 key in my pocket and 1 in my purse.

Also, most dogs love to go with their "person". Mine pout when I can't take them along and I don't think they mind a bit if it gets to be 1-2 hrs - they have a lot to look at.

They always stay home in the summer or any day where it's sunny and the car could get heated and when it gets extremely cold in the winter. BUT - I would report the guy that kept the dog in the trunk - I don't care what state it was!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs