Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,604 times

Advertisements

We recently took our Lhasa-Poo(dle) to a local groomer and were called when her tail had been severely slashed with scissors. The groomer's vet decided to amputate about 3" and she's been in pain and trauma for the last week since - standing around and staring in depression. We are giving her all the love we can but feel that a) punitive damages are due from groomer AND b) we need to warn others about subjecting their pets to the same fate. All ideas and legal suggestions welcome! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times
Dogs' tails are bobbed all the time. The only person who is depressed is you. Yes, the dog was put through undue trauma, but it is a dog, and the dog does not need the tail to live. I'm sure you could sue for negligence if you wanted to... but to say the dog is emotionally traumatized is going too far.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
I'm sorry about your dog's experience, but punitive damages? No wonder no one wants to open a business. A mistake was made and medical attention was given. What do you want to warn others about? That mistakes can happen?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,604 times
Obviously, we haven't heard from anyone who has a dog they love. Such folks have pets who are virtual family members. While it's true that sometimes good people do bad things - there's also a difference between a mistake and malpractice. When someone enters a business to make money caring for other living creatures - people or pets - their level of responsibility rises to a new level. We fully intend to make this point to our local groomer.

PS - if you understood animals better - you would see the clear and obvious behavior change from this incident. We want to warn others that these groomers care more about money than the safety of their animals.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-n-Robin View Post
Obviously, we haven't heard from anyone who has a dog they love. Such folks have pets who are virtual family members. While it's true that sometimes good people do bad things - there's also a difference between a mistake and malpractice. When someone enters a business to make money caring for other living creatures - people or pets - their level of responsibility rises to a new level. We fully intend to make this point to our local groomer.

PS - if you understood animals better - you would see the clear and obvious behavior change from this incident. We want to warn others that these groomers care more about money than the safety of their animals.
Get a grip.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,273,694 times
Did you choose your groomer as you would choose a doctor for yourself?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,366 times
Then contact the Better Business bureau. Any other method of "warning" others could constitute libel or slander. I have dogs that I love and consider part of my family and I'd be pi$$ed off if this happened to one of them. But I think suing is a bit of a stretch unless you could prove a pattern of this type of thing happening and that the groomer knew there was an issue. If the groomer paid the costs of medical treatment, I just don't see that you have case - unless your dog is a show dog.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Then contact the Better Business bureau. Any other method of "warning" others could constitute libel or slander. I have dogs that I love and consider part of my family and I'd be pi$$ed off if this happened to one of them. But I think suing is a bit of a stretch unless you could prove a pattern of this type of thing happening and that the groomer knew there was an issue. If the groomer paid the costs of medical treatment, I just don't see that you have case - unless your dog is a show dog.
As far as the OP is concerned, the groomer intentionally and maliciously slashed the hapless dog's tail off and laughed all the way to the bank.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
It's quite possible your dog may be experiencing some pain, so I would demand the groomer's vet give pain meds for the dog. As for the dog being traumatized, I seriously doubt it.

I seriously doubt you could be given any kind of financial settlement other than veterinary costs, which they seem to have covered already. If you want to waste time taking them to small claims, by all means, go ahead. But you should probably contact a lawyer about it since you're not listening to anybody here.

And no, I'm not a dog-hater. I love my dogs to death, but I don't let that cloud my common sense and judgement. Your dog is most likely in better condition than you realize. You're most likely still very angry, and justifiably so. I'd be, too, but I wouldn't be considering any lawsuit unless they refused to cover the vet bills.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
What does your dog's vet have to say about the situation? Have you consulted with your own vet? I know i sure as hell wouldn't have even let that groomer's vet lay a hand on my dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs