Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 04:07 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Don't be silly. To show a picture of a Chi which is snarling for an unknown reason and compare it to a pit bull is stupid to say the least. You conveniently don't seem to care that pits can do a great deal of damage to another dog or person if he's in attack mode. All that is lost with you somehow. I'll gladly be bitten by a 5 pound chi instead of a pit. Think logically if you can for a moment.
Well that's good because you are statistically far more likely to get attacked by many other dog breeds.
As they say, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and misread statistics.
The public terror of pit bulls comes from the fact that, statistically speaking, breeds generally categorized as “pit bulls” kill and maim more people, per capita, than many other categories of dog. These statistics are accurate. So why would any sane person want to keep these vicious dogs around?
There are many things I could say in defense of these dogs:First off they are beautiful dogs, unfortunatly to the uninformed a “pit bull” isn't a breed, it's just a sort of statement on a dog's build and appearance; these dogs are typically strong, therefore more capable of doing damage even though many smaller breeds are far more vicious; these dogs are often sought out by people who train them to be vicious; many studies have ranked their base temperament as unusually gentle and non-aggressive; and so on.
But perhaps the most telling point is that the statistics, though accurate, are egregiously misleading. There are many millions of pitbull-type dogs in the US. Attacks per year are numbered in the double digits at most. You are more likely to be killed by a cow than a pit bull(look up statefarms stats on deaths from livestock accidents which is the high triple digits) , but do I hear you demanding the extermination of cows? No. No, I do not.

statistically more people die or almost die a year from stray smaller dogs( they transmit rabies because people let their guards down around smaller strays thinking they are cute and harmless)
so you better hope that 5-lbs chi don't have rabies.

In fact, you are vastly more likely, by several orders of magnitude, to be killed by a human than a pit bull. I suspect you'd balk at the idea of exterminating the human species, hmm?
So let's stop playing silly, fear-mongering games with numbers, shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 05:38 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
I'm curious. I'd like to call into question or see your verification of this statement as it conflicts significantly with anything I've seen! "There are many millions of pitbull-type dogs in the US. Attacks per year are numbered in the double digits at most." Were you talking about deaths instead?
To the best of my knowledge there are several MILLION dog bites annually and 750,000 per year require medical attention. Per the California Department of Public Health, pit bulls account for 29% of all dog bites, putting them at the top of the list of biting dogs, followed by the German Shepherd (15%) and Chihuahua (11%).

This being said, I've spent considerable time around Pits as well as other large/aggressive breeds. Contrary to what some people may believe, there really are crazy dogs (just like we have crazy people)!

By the way, I've spent time around cows....given their size they can be quite dangerous.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:08 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Well that's good because you are statistically far more likely to get attacked by many other dog breeds.
As they say, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and misread statistics.
The public terror of pit bulls comes from the fact that, statistically speaking, breeds generally categorized as “pit bulls” kill and maim more people, per capita, than many other categories of dog. These statistics are accurate. So why would any sane person want to keep these vicious dogs around?
There are many things I could say in defense of these dogs:First off they are beautiful dogs, unfortunatly to the uninformed a “pit bull” isn't a breed, it's just a sort of statement on a dog's build and appearance; these dogs are typically strong, therefore more capable of doing damage even though many smaller breeds are far more vicious; these dogs are often sought out by people who train them to be vicious; many studies have ranked their base temperament as unusually gentle and non-aggressive; and so on.
But perhaps the most telling point is that the statistics, though accurate, are egregiously misleading. There are many millions of pitbull-type dogs in the US. Attacks per year are numbered in the double digits at most. You are more likely to be killed by a cow than a pit bull(look up statefarms stats on deaths from livestock accidents which is the high triple digits) , but do I hear you demanding the extermination of cows? No. No, I do not.

statistically more people die or almost die a year from stray smaller dogs( they transmit rabies because people let their guards down around smaller strays thinking they are cute and harmless)
so you better hope that 5-lbs chi don't have rabies.

In fact, you are vastly more likely, by several orders of magnitude, to be killed by a human than a pit bull. I suspect you'd balk at the idea of exterminating the human species, hmm?
So let's stop playing silly, fear-mongering games with numbers, shall we?
Speaking of lies, you're accusing me of things I never said, only things you're making up. I never said I wanted the extermination of any dog or dog breed. You made that up.
Regardless of what you say and want people to believe, I'd still rather be bitten by a 5 pound Chi than a pit bull. Anyone with a lick of common sense would think the same way. Your attempt to make a 5 pound chihuahua equal to a pit bull is so ludicrous I don't even know what to say except you obviously will say anything and hope someone will think you credible.
BTW, I don't have any cows in my neighborhood that I need to worry about killing me. I can't say the same thing for pit bulls.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
This thread is about HUSKIES. Would the Pit Bull haters move on, or stay on topic. PLEASE!

Old 04-25-2018, 06:39 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
This thread is about HUSKIES. Would the Pit Bull haters move on, or stay on topic. PLEASE!
Sure, my neighbor has huskies and they've been great dogs. Happy now?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:51 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Stay on topic? What?

My best guess is that all the huskies are on the dangerous dog lists because the leading canine killer of humans in Canada is the husky.

I assume that means the sled dogs who are chained out in the yard full time and are only for work and not for pets. Those are usually a mixed breed sort of dog. Insurance companies won't bother to differentiate.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:26 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Haven't read the entire thread, so if this is a repeat, I apologize. i believe they ban Huskies (who are, indeed wonderful) because there was a time when folks were mixing wolves with either that breed and/or other like breeds. No one told me this - it's a gut feeling.

I am used to being banned, pretty much everywhere, because I've been a multiple Dobie owner for 35 years - and will be until they drag me out feet first. All fabulous, smart as a whip,and utterly HILARIOUS!

Old 04-29-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Stay on topic? What?

My best guess is that all the huskies are on the dangerous dog lists because the leading canine killer of humans in Canada is the husky.

I assume that means the sled dogs who are chained out in the yard full time and are only for work and not for pets. Those are usually a mixed breed sort of dog. Insurance companies won't bother to differentiate.
Sounds familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Haven't read the entire thread, so if this is a repeat, I apologize. i believe they ban Huskies (who are, indeed wonderful) because there was a time when folks were mixing wolves with either that breed and/or other like breeds. No one told me this - it's a gut feeling.

I am used to being banned, pretty much everywhere, because I've been a multiple Dobie owner for 35 years - and will be until they drag me out feet first. All fabulous, smart as a whip,and utterly HILARIOUS!
I know it's a matter of opinion but it seems that the most beautiful breeds of dogs that end up on ban lists, "yip yip" dogs or the goofy looking bigger dogs seem to be safe from state and insurance provider sponsored genocide. Dobie's are among those beautiful breeds.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Stay on topic? What?

That may be true but while we are not allowed to state facts on here, I encourage you to google dog fatalities in Canada. You might find the results pretty surprising, if not shocking, compared to here in the US.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
That may be true but while we are not allowed to state facts on here, I encourage you to google dog fatalities in Canada. You might find the results pretty surprising, if not shocking, compared to here in the US.
Facts are one thing, misleading information and a breedist attitude is another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs