Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 AM

827 posts, read 3,095,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
It sounds like you are off to an excellent start and I commend your vet - sounds like you have a good one. As far as the exercise goes, remember that 15 minutes of good involved "fetch" is equal to about a 45 minute walk. Please do not trade fetch for a walk. Just use it as an additional tool to keep your Lab tired and happy. The 2 things most Labs love more than anything in the world is retrieving and water. Combine the 2 and you have a dog in bliss I'll DM you with some specific techinques to help you to teach her the "leave it" command specifically in regards to your kitties.
Oh, thank you so much! I'd really appreciate it if you could DM me the specific techniques in regard to "leave it' command with the dog in regard to leaving my kitties alone. I had no idea a game of fetch for 15 minutes is equal to a 45 minute walk. I was trying to stay away from fetch right now anyway b/c I feel that will teach her it is okay to chase something moving (although she already knows) and I was worried if we did that, it would make her think it is okay to chase a moving cat.

I am a little concerned b/c I see my husband losing his patience with her. He's not even around her as much as I have been. We went for a walk last night (he came with us for the first time and held her on the leash) and he lost his patience b/c she doesn't know how to walk on the leash properly. She's all over the place. He's also losing his patience b/c she chases the cats and he feels bad for them. I know he likes her but I just think he's feeling that maybe she's not for us right now. When I took her from her previous owner, I took it upon her being able to get along with the cats and if it didn't work out, they would take her back b/c there are like 6 other people who want her. I'm also concerned b/c she has so much energy and I know I have to keep an eye on her b/c I noticed she's tried to chew my couch...so it's impossible for me to even watch tv anymore b/c my eyes are ALWAYS on her. Is this normal? This week I've been waking up at 6:30 or 6:45 b/c my husband leaves for work at that time and she's wanted to come out of her crate, then I pick up my cats food that's on the floor from last the night before and take her out for a walk, come back in, feed her, walk her again, and then I can't even sit in 1 room with her b/c she's always moving into other rooms to play. She's all over the place. This is how my entire day has been going lately. I hate to say it but I kind of miss tv. Will I ever be allowed to trust her in my house alone without her wanting to chew my couches? Also what really upset my husband last night is we have been trying to feed the cats in the basement b/c Sarah (dog) is so obsessed with food and she's been opening the door herself (we have a bifold door which we try to keep open right now for the cats to get up and down) and, she tends to sneak down there to eat the kitty food. So I know that upset my husband as well last night. He feels that she doesn't listen to anything. I agree too but I do know she is just a pup. She's more like overexcited to the point she just doesn't hear you. Is all of this normal? Is it cruel if I crate her b/c I want to watch tv for a little while b/c I won't be able to keep my eye on her? Her crate is right next to my bed and that's where I will be watching tv.

Sorry this post is so long. I'm just really concerned that my husband is going to have me give her back to the previous owners. I know we really need to get her under control to understand (which means obedience in my book). I've just spent so much money on her already....I don't have the funds right now to take her to school. Also, I found out my vet is a dog psychologist who will come to my house for 3 or 4 hours to help out with the cats and teach us how the body language of how to approach her, etc...kind of like Cesar Milan. Do you think this would be better than obedience school? I'm really confused. My vet is like $200 more than obedient school. I'm curious to know which one you think would be best.

Again, thanks for listening. I just had to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:54 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I'm really hearing "under-exercised lab and inexperienced humans". There is no shame in that and I say that without even a grain of contempt. Working with a dog, particularly a large dog with astounding exercise requirements like a lab, is necessarily a frustrating process and no one starts with all the experience and know-how that they need to do it right. I highly recommend that you adopt a program and stick to it.

I think this is a good one... Jackie Mertens Sound Beginnings Retriever Training DVD

I'm sure the people of this dog forum can recommend some other good ones.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I. I highly recommend that you adopt a program and stick to it.

- I was going to write "Start as you mean to go on." To wit OP.... if your walking schedule is going to change when you go back to work, I highly recommend that your work schedule is the one you adopt NOW. It's no use her getting used to something that is not going to continue past the next few days.

Dogs love routine. The sooner one is established, the better.

Regarding the "not listening": She isn't ignoring what's being asked of her, she - very simply - does not understand that the specific order of words, or the words themselves, have a particular meaning. It's the same as if someone turned around and said to you in Swahili, "Please do sit down" and you just stand there. Because you didn't understand the language you couldn't possible do what was being asked. It wasn't because you didn't want to, but pure lack of comprehension prevented you from doing so. That's pretty much what you've got going on with doggie.

Read, read and read some more. The more you understand the way dogs think, the easier this will be for both your family and the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs