Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:17 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,693 times

Advertisements

Hope Pandora heals up quickly from this little setback. Please keep us updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Good rule of thumb: If you cant wade around in it yourself (ie cant see the bottom, etc) dont let your dog just jump in. We've had to do this with Jupiter several times. If *I* wouldnt get in the creek, my dog doesnt.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
We had to take Pandora back to the ER vet tonight. Her leg started swelling, the area around her stitches was red and it started leaking pus. They cut another incision above the stitches to allow for drainage and put her on a stronger antbiotic and an antinflamitory. She still doesn't seem to notice any pain, but I'm keeping a close eye on her. Vet says she wants the swelling to decrease dramatically within 24 hours or bring Pandy back in.
oh no.... hope she is better today.... sometimes the right antibiotic just kicks butt.... VERY quickly.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Good rule of thumb: If you cant wade around in it yourself (ie cant see the bottom, etc) dont let your dog just jump in. We've had to do this with Jupiter several times. If *I* wouldnt get in the creek, my dog doesnt.
smart girl!!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
Thanks everyone, Pandy's leg is much better today. The swelling has gone down, not completely gone, but much reduced. The area is no longer red, except where she managed to lick at it before I got her E-collar on. The vet said she was suprised Pandy was walking on it yesterday without limping, since it was swollen from shoulder to toe. I told her, Pandora doesn't seem to be able to recognize pain, so it's hard for us to know if something is wrong.
She must have been feeling some pain yesterday evening though, since she laid on the couch and let me put an ice pack on her for about 30 minutes. Time to wash her with some hydrogen peroxide per vet's instructions

Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Standing water is also a harbor for Lepto which can be deadly. There is a vaccine for it, but it can also cause severe reactions in dogs and it only covers some strains of lepto, so you can vaccinate and still run the risk of your dog being infected. Standing water is a dangerous thing for dogs.

Leptospirosis in Dogs

Glad Pandora is healing. Poor girl! Keep us updated.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:51 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
It's important to know that Lepto is only prevalent in certain states. The risks of this vaccine far outweigh the benefits. We were warned to never administer the vaccine to Bulldogs, sine it will almost positively cause a very serious reaction or even death, and I know many other breeds are on this list (boxers being another one). Don't vaccinate for no reason, especially a vaccine as harmful as this one. And if you plan on vaccinating against this, research to be sure your area is even affected. Michigan, Ohio and NY are the 3 states highest at risk. I wouldn't risk my dog's life by administering a vaccine for a disease that's non-existent in my area!

I hope Pandora gets better soon, keep us updated!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
It's important to know that Lepto is only prevalent in certain states. The risks of this vaccine far outweigh the benefits. We were warned to never administer the vaccine to Bulldogs, sine it will almost positively cause a very serious reaction or even death, and I know many other breeds are on this list (boxers being another one). Don't vaccinate for no reason, especially a vaccine as harmful as this one. And if you plan on vaccinating against this, research to be sure your area is even affected. Michigan, Ohio and NY are the 3 states highest at risk. I wouldn't risk my dog's life by administering a vaccine for a disease that's non-existent in my area!

I hope Pandora gets better soon, keep us updated!
Exactly. We don't use it or bordatella.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
I hope Pandora (what a great name!!) gets better soon.

Get well, Pandy!!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 PM

23 posts, read 49,705 times
So glad your dog is OK.

My experience with a creek was liver disease. Creeks have run-off and you never know where the water came from. Never again!

Diana

Old 06-07-2010, 07:08 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
Pandy saw her regular vet today and she says the stitched area is healing nicely. Not very much drainage so that's healing up nicely as well. Her leg is normal sized, except it is still a bit swollen around the stitches. She wants to see her again Wed to see if we need to continue the antibiotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs