Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 PM

329 posts, read 1,047,635 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain to me why it's SO important to make a lot of money?

My parents are pretty successful hardworking individuals who now live very comfortably. For me, I personally don't have a problem with earning a middle-class wage and living a middle-class lifestyle - I honestly believe that after earning enough to meet my basic needs, I would like to spend my free time going fishing, mountain-climbing, swimming, hunting, or just relaxing somewhere instead of fighting to get a higher paycheck.

But whenever I mention this to my parents, they go nuts - looking at me like I'm insane not to want to strive for more. I've seen my dad work 18 hour days and it ain't pretty. Sure, he made boatloads more money from doing so, but there's a LOT of things he sacrificed in order to do it.

But I'm a pretty naive and idealistic kid. I'll admit it. Having been coddled all my life, I honestly don't know what the real world is like. And when it comes to important decisions, I'd say my parents are probably right 99% of the time. Which is why I'm wondering if the importance of money is just something that grows on you as you get older and mature. Am I not taking this seriously enough because I'm still immature and naive?

Or is making boatloads of money really not all that important in the grand scheme of things? Is this one of those 1% of the time when my parents are actually wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 PM

188 posts, read 548,710 times
It depends on what a "boat load of money" is. I feel it is important to make enough to live comfortably without the stress of not being able to pay bills. further you should be able to afford some pleasantries as well as get your children educated, establish a retirement, and pay for any emergencies. Beyond that, it doesn't really matter

Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 PM

163 posts, read 428,170 times
Not about nice things, its about financial security and independence. Nice having the the ability to start your own ventures, or walk away when a situation becomes unbearable. Entirely possible if you live well below your means

Golden handcuffs are exactly that - handcuffs

Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
It depends on what a "boat load of money" is. I feel it is important to make enough to live comfortably without the stress of not being able to pay bills. further you should be able to afford some pleasantries as well as get your children educated, establish a retirement, and pay for any emergencies. Beyond that, it doesn't really matter
I aggree, and after a person reaches the point where they are finacially sound they may want to increase their money "for fun." Some people like fishing and mountain climbing but when i daydream about what i'm going to do with my spare time, it always revolves around some scheme to make more money. I've finacially sound, and i dont dream of an extravagant life style, i just like the thrill of earning.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
I have never cared about making lots of money. As long as I have enough for food and shelter I am happy. I can and do that on minimum wage.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:21 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
Can anyone explain to me why it's SO important to make a lot of money?

My parents are pretty successful hardworking individuals who now live very comfortably. For me, I personally don't have a problem with earning a middle-class wage and living a middle-class lifestyle - I honestly believe that after earning enough to meet my basic needs, I would like to spend my free time going fishing, mountain-climbing, swimming, hunting, or just relaxing somewhere instead of fighting to get a higher paycheck.

But whenever I mention this to my parents, they go nuts - looking at me like I'm insane not to want to strive for more. I've seen my dad work 18 hour days and it ain't pretty. Sure, he made boatloads more money from doing so, but there's a LOT of things he sacrificed in order to do it.

But I'm a pretty naive and idealistic kid. I'll admit it. Having been coddled all my life, I honestly don't know what the real world is like. And when it comes to important decisions, I'd say my parents are probably right 99% of the time. Which is why I'm wondering if the importance of money is just something that grows on you as you get older and mature. Am I not taking this seriously enough because I'm still immature and naive?

Or is making boatloads of money really not all that important in the grand scheme of things? Is this one of those 1% of the time when my parents are actually wrong?
What you do with your money is more important than how much you make imo.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
if your parents take care of you and provide for you, the concept of making money is meaningless.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Also: Have the early deaths of friends and relatives influenced your retirement plans?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,240,207 times
It's because the US has an insanely high cost of living. Why do you think places like Costa Rica or Mexico are increasing in popularity as retirement locations?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
its not money thats the root of all evil, its lack of money....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics