Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 04:36 PM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times

Advertisements

yes ,i seem to remember someone saying how they could be a millionaire but they just chose not to be..... now that there is funny...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,821,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
What mine?

Here's a clue:

If the people you direct the statement at, do not know what you are trying to say, and tell you that whatever your point is... it was lost...

No it's not.

Now, you gonna answer or keep ducking?
Yes. Were you asking me a question there?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM

We should have a cap births and it should be based on income and assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Better yet, everybody should purchase a license to breed, this way only superb genetic stock like yours would be passed to the next generation. There is a "small" problem though, you are not a poor only because there are poors out there serving your needs for le$$.

Now, imagine, for an argument sake, only trial lawyers are allowed to breed. What would happen? The age of unheard prosperity I guess

Did you make sure that there was no poor and uneducated in your bloodline before typing? Besides poor' fertility rates worry ruling class quite a bit, they are falling, that makes folks in charge little bit jittery. Unlike your ignorance, they know who makes them rich, that's why we have steady and consistent importation of poor and desperate (legal and illegal) from 3rd world countries called in to supplement falling birth rates of the home grown peons.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post
Get rid of Welfare?? Good Lord man, how spoiled and entitled have some of us become? I'd be willing to bet anybody throwing this idea around is white. When was the last time you were arrested just because of your skin color? When was the last time you could only get a min.wage job because of your skin color?

Welfare saves lives; you never know, there may be a time you need it.
Only the disabled should be helped. If you are capable of working then there is no reason for the individual to be on Welfare. There was a Affirnmative Action law passed so everyone is treated equal regardless of race, religion, etc.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:32 PM

I have both short and long term goals. I don't understand why my men hair thread was closed.

You know the Dave Ramsey way right?

Living paycheck to paycheck is very dangerous. You are living on life on the edge.

Poorly in what sense? You mean more work and less pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Shave your legs.

Seriously though, I'm not sure what type of place you work, or the sort of people you work with.

Some people have very short-term goals and aren't interested in the long run. Sometimes, I think they're smarter than people like me, who sacrifice in the short run by working hard in order to have a better life later. It's an uncertain investment, but I need the security of knowing I have something there to fall back on. I couldn't live paycheck to paycheck.

In general, I have found that in this economy, many employers treat employees quite poorly because they're not worried about them leaving in this job market. Employees are looked as an expendible commodity rather than a potential asset. I think this is a mistake, another example of the short-term thinking that has gotten us into so much trouble.

I can speak from personal experience in saying that some companies have made it so hellish to work there that it's easy to see why even the most dedicated people turn off.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:37 PM

Anyone who sold Stocks/Bonds pays 15% after 1 year of holding the security. It was going to go up to 20% but the Bush Tax cuts got extended.

You don't hvae to be wealthy to invest so I see you point.

$40K a year can be reduced to 15% tax bracket or less depending on how the pre-tax benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, for starters, people who have capital gains (mostly fairly wealthy) pay only 15% in that part of their margin that is derived from investments. Most wage workers are in a higher than 15% marginal bracket. Upper class taxpayers who receive the bulk of their income from investments are not participants in our much heralded progressive tax system. Only "workers", including those in the middle class, are subject to the progressive penalties.

So a middle-class worker who gets overtime might pay 25% on income over about $40K, but an investor with plenty of cash to invest, with capital gains income pushing him over $40K pays only 15% on that margin. Furthermore, if his investment hits the jackpot and he makes a million, he still pays only 15%, while our WalMart greeter keeps on paying 25% of his overtime or second part-time job.

The answer to your second question is, it is the fault of legislators who have created a tax code that the average worker is not even strong enough to lift, such that it requires a level of training and constant retraining that is only within the reach of a paid professional consultant.

When your kids get sick, are you too lazy to educate yourself on how to do surgery? If you get sued, are you too lazy to educate yourself on how to defend yourself in court?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After reading the post i would suggest your demeanor isnt as positive as you may think..
Elaborate.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yes ,i seem to remember someone saying how they could be a millionaire but they just chose not to be..... now that there is funny...
You mean they knew how or wished?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,205,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I find it amusing (not amazing, and certainly not responseworthy) that there are always a few jerks in every forum
Aw, you mad? When an old, lonely poster loves to constantly attack millions of people at once in completely out-of-touch nonsensical gibberish aimed at anyone who has more money than him, has traveled like him, belongs to this nebulous political block "conservatives" etc. just a seething cauldron of constant bitterness that I see posters in every forum reacting with disgust at, yet as is typical with those so often on the offense are suddenly the victim when it flies back his way, I laugh too.

Not that I was referring to you... when you want to respond to a request for statistics for proof that middle class pays more percentage of tax than upper class and respond with a corner case that obviously has no statistical relevance, you aren't really interesting in pursuing the discussion, you are interesting in arguing.

Ignore the numbers and focus on your neato example of the guy living completely on dividends, it just demonstrates a determination to subscribe to a belief as opposed to facts.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Doesn't sound funny to me. A 40 hour week comes out to 100,000 hours in a lifetime. At $10 an hour, lifetime wages come out to a cool million.

I'm living now comfortably on less than $1,000 a month in my retirement. That's let's say $5 an hour to maintain that lifestyle. So if I had worked all my life at $15 an hour, I could have lived like I do now, and saved up a million dollars to show you.

$15 an hour doesn't sound like an over-challenging average wage for somebody of normal diligence. Many people do that, and they choose not to be millionaires, but to spend nearly all they make, instead. Others, like me, just chose not work for other people to earn it in the first place, having better things to do with the only time we get on this earth.

You're showing your age if you still think a million dollars is a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics