Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Every work place is different, but let me generalize: Younger employees of today have no loyalty to their employer and vice versa. They know that sooner or later they will be laid off, out-sourced etc. and are usually looking for a better job somewhere else. They know they are just a replaceable part in a ruthless machine and don't really care if the company succeeds or not because they won't share in it's success. CEOs make 1000 times what a worker makes. The workers haven't had a pay raise in three or more years and their health insurance (if they have any) goes up 30% a year like clock work. They know the game's rigged and they will do the minimum required to get the paycheck, go through the motions, and then move on to a better deal at the first opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Every work place is different, but let me generalize: Younger employees of today have no loyalty to their employer and vice versa. They know that sooner or later they will be laid off, out-sourced etc. and are usually looking for a better job somewhere else. They know they are just a replaceable part in a ruthless machine and don't really care if the company succeeds or not because they won't share in it's success. CEOs make 1000 times what a worker makes. The workers haven't had a pay raise in three or more years and their health insurance (if they have any) goes up 30% a year like clock work. They know the game's rigged and they will do the minimum required to get the paycheck, go through the motions, and then move on to a better deal at the first opportunity.
wow. what an attitude. you wonder why a company might not keep you? you are telling people that you are just a (barely) warm body.

many people are happy with their jobs and WANT to contribute to their company's success. i certainly wouldn't hire anyone with that big of a chip on their shoulder. perhaps you should be working for a smaller company instead of a global corporation, or perhaps you should try and start your own company and see what that involves.

some people still take pride in their work and take pride in providing for their families.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
wow. what an attitude. you wonder why a company might not keep you? you are telling people that you are just a (barely) warm body.
My response was to the question posted, and it is my impression of why younger employees have a different attitude toward work today. I believe my impression is valid in general. It certainly applies where I work, though my personal old-fashioned protestant work ethic still drives me on. As for the barely warm part, yeah, my body temperature has probably dropped a bit since I started working 50 years ago.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
In most cases, management doesn't do a lick of work.

They still get paid.
Funny, I am friends with a lot of people in management, and they work unpaid overtime just to keep up with the work.

It isn't manual labor, but it is harder work than you or I do.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Spoken like someone who has never been management nor has any chance of getting there.
I have been management, and I wasn't afraid of doing anything I'd ask the employees under me to do. I WORK right alongside them. In fact, I would go and clean the toilets every night I closed--do you know why? Because I'm not going to hold myself as someone who is somehow ABOVE doing that.

I had one young lady that worked for me quit, and she told the manager that I didn't like her. Do you know why? Because I made her work with someone that she didn't get along with--intentionally. Work time is work time, and you put your personal BS aside for the sake of the job. You're not always going to get to work with your friends, and giggle with each other, and spend more time talking than working. At least I know if you do not like each other, you won't be wasting company time. "Let's hurry up and get this done so we can get away from each other!"

But, you know, I got tired of people that have no work ethic, and got tired of having to babysit children, so I decided that I wasn't going to do that anymore, even though I have a degree in business management. Because I expect people to work, and to want to work. Theory Y, not Theory X. But that wasn't what I was finding. And it isn't what I see out of management either. I'd rather work for a living than be a manager like I've seen in some places.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You aren't coming off as observant, the impression you give is resentment and self-justification for lack of personal achievement.
I'm where I want to be. I've been a manager before, but I worked a lot more than other managers I've seen. I believe in being hands on, and not being afraid to do what I ask others to do. The managers I've seen drink coffee and sit at the desk--you don't see them on any forklifts or order pickers, working freight alongside us. Not even when we're short-handed because they decided to let someone go on vacation--I was asked to pick a week to go on vacation, and I worked through it instead. Because there was too much work to be done, and they needed me to be at work, not sitting on my duff at home, posting on C-D. (That's why you'll rarely see me here in the middle of the night, except on weekends--I'm working).

Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
so I decided that I wasn't going to do that anymore, even though I have a degree in business management
Let me guess.... an associates degree right?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:58 AM

no.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Let me guess.... an associates degree right?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
no.
Well congrats on furthering your education since last post on the subject. At this rate you should have an MBA by this summer.

Quote:
I have a degree that I paid cash for. No loans. Granted, it's only a two year degree...but it's still a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics